Old 05-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #21
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
While I don't have that problem with my class A, I'd be concerned with balance if you know that there's very little weight on the jacks opposite the slide. This situation is a golden opportunity for the unit to tip over if a gust of wind hits it from the "wrong" side.

My recommendation is that you get a supplemental hand jack that can be placed under the outer wall of a slide. Install this jack after the slide is extended and add a reminder to your "prepare to leave" checklist to remove it before pulling in the slide. You might need a board under the slide to distribute the support point force across a larger area than the top of the jack.

I guess I owe you an apology and have to re-tract my previous statements. I just saw a post where a guys TT blew over in the wind. How knew, this is the first I have ever heard of this happening. I apologize and will say that it is a possibility! I would still say it is unlikely but possible.

2015 Forest River EVO 2850
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
Yamaha 2k x 2 with parallel cable
EMS 30 PI portable w/ Edison plug

Nights Camped (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #22
I also have a 2014 30RKSS. I also have it on a permanent site. On a gravel bed I level, then the jacks. Nothing under the slide. I level left to right from front tongue and rear bumper. Then front to back from inside the trailer door. I use a 4' level and have the TT on the very slightest pitch to the rear. (Bubble not quit touching the line)My jacks are on concrete blocks, which brings up another point...Folks the blocks are engineered so the holes are up and down. I You can see the holes in the block, you blocks may crumble. (They may not, but why take the chance?) I do not strap my trailer down In fact I've never seen anybody do this. Couldn't imagine why one would. I believe by strapping it down you may be causing some damage to the trailer.

To each his own. Happy Camping from NE Ohio. 90 today 60 on Sunday!

David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #23
I was told we should level then do slides; however, I have a Forester 3011 DS, and after we use our automatic levelers then do slide outs we are not level. Should we use automatic levelers, open slides, then redo the automatic levelers? Would this correct the problem?
nbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #24
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
I guess I owe you an apology and have to re-tract my previous statements. I just saw a post where a guys TT blew over in the wind. How knew, this is the first I have ever heard of this happening. I apologize and will say that it is a possibility! I would still say it is unlikely but possible.
I agree with all of the previous posts that a jack under a slideout shouldn't be used to level a trailer. My original recommendation assumed that the trailer had already been levelled using jacks under it's corners and that a jack under the opened slide would be no more than snug, and not weight bearing.

I did some additional research on wind effects and found the following formula that describes the amount of force exerted on a wall by the wind:
F = 0.00256*(V**2)
where F is the force in pounds per square foot and V is the wind velocity. for a 60mph gust, this amounts to 9.216 pounds / square foot. For a TT thats 12' tall and 25' long with 2' clearance for the tires, that's 250 square feet. That 60mph gust will exert a force of just over 2300 pounds against the side of the trailer!

Standard force analysis (from physics) says that the effects of the force can be represented by assuming that it's all applied at the vertical center of the wall. That would be 5' from the bottom of the wall and 7' above ground. The support against which this force is applied is the jacks on the opposite side of the trailer, where they are resting on the ground. If we assume that the trailer is 9' wide, the horizontal and vertical sides of the force triangle are 9 and 7. Using trigonometry to solve the force triangle (sin(arctan(7/9)) gives the proportion of the incident force that represents the lifting force on the windward wall. This component of the force generated by the wind will be 61% the horizontal component. This yields an effective lifting force on the windward side of the trailer of over 1400 pounds.

It's easy to see why a broadside wind can tip an RV over. I spent six weeks this winter in a location that regularly gets wind gusts over 70mph. Fortunately, these gusts only arrive from a single direction (they're from the nearby mountain range) so I park the RV facing in the same direction that the wind blows. The back of the RV has a much smaller surface area and the distance from the rear of the rv to the front jacks changes the force distribution in my favor.

pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

jacks, slide