Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Wheel Chocks for Hitching/Unhitching

Does anyone know a reason why these "x-block" wheel chocks that lock between the tires on dual axle trailers are not a good idea for securing a fifth wheel when you are hitching or unhitching? The simple little yellow plastic chocks allow a bit of play in my limited experience and they don't have the option of locking that these more expensive gadgets have.

poodlepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Poodlepeople, The only reason I can see is when the height of the trailer changes, so can the space between the wheels, causing the "x-block" wheel chocks to get either loose or tight. I found this out when I installed mine before disconnecting, and then checking them after. I was side level, but after disconnecting and lowering the tongue to get length level, one of the x block chocks became very loose. I had also ground chocked the wheels, so I didn't have any problem. I don't think you should have a problem, as long as your pin height is set, install the x-block, back the truck in and latch, then remove the x-block chocks before raising the landing gear. Maybe others have a better reason or explanation.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
I do not like to put my between the wheel chocks on until the unit is level front to back. The reason, at least for me, is I am putting extra stress on the wheels and axels when raising and lowering the unit. There are many times once off the hitch I will lower the unit over a foot. That was putting way to much stress on the tires etc. So now I use those yellow chocks to stop the unit from moving while unhitching, once level I use the between the wheel.
3500 Ram 5.9l diesel
08 35 RLT Cardinal
5th Airborne Pin Box
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
I don't know if there is a difference between leveling a 5th wheel and a TT but I use a 2x6 board under my wheels to level with. The board fits under both wheels. Once the camper is level then I use the BAL scissor wheel chocks before unhooking.
The problem that I have ran into with the yellow blocks is that they flex too much once in place. The bottoms of them are not solid and move down into the ground over time. The only place I use the yellow blocks is under the stabilizer Jacks and I put a piece of wood under them.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Good Comments All!

That is exactly what I was looking for! I did not realize the issue about stressing wheels and axles when changing the height of the pin after the x-blocks are in place. It sounds like you need both types and also that you need to understand what you are going to have to do to level the trailer as well once you are done.

The point about using dimension lumber boards to level is also good. I have done this as well and always struggled with the "yellow" chocks on those boards. Now I think I will just have to use a combination approach and whatever "good sense" I can muster.

Thanks to all!
poodlepeople is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel