Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #1

Where do you store your trailer during the off season

For myself I store mine in my driveway. My driveway can contain 4 vehicles. I used to store it at the campgroung for the seasonal and had some bad experience about break and enter. Also I like to keep an eye inside often to see if I dont have small creature visitors. One year they found their way through a small opening under and went inside the drawers. All my knifes were badly chewed on the wood handles.It does not take much for these rodents to destroy a trailer if nobody check once and a while. Last week I was told by a lady that store trailers in her field for the season that one trailer was damaged with severals thousand dollars because of these creatures. At this moment I am fighting them on my property because this year we have tons of moles digging holes everywere in my grass.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #2

I store my Flagstaff in my heated shop. No mice, no snow, no sun. The camper will look new 10 years from now.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

Our "Little One" sets in our side yard - where it sets all year! Capucine those moles are in our yard now - didn't know they came from across the border. :-)

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Made an area beside the house and used the RM grid road gravel on it. It is large enough to be used for storage and have the unit setup in the summer with 2 picnic tables in front as well as being close enough to get shore power if required. Also have a Koender bait station (same ones we use all around all our buildings) under it all year and have never had a rodent in it.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
(Kim)

Sadly, I do not have room to store the TT on my driveway all year round. I live in an old neighbourhood and the driveways are small. Parking is at a premium around here due to the fact that 80+ years ago when these houses were built, everyone had just 1 car, now families around here have 2-4 cars so things can get a little tight to say the least.
We parked our TT at a nearby storage facility that is 5 minutes away from my house and also near the road I take to get to work. I picked a space that is right near the fence, this way I can get a glance at it everytime I drive by.
This will also help in increasing the frequency of my visits to it when checking for any pest issues =]
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Mine stays in the driveway, and doubles as a redneck guest house.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #7

I am catching these moles with mouse traps and peanut butter. I have caught 10 so far but I think it is a loosing battle because there are so many digging holes all over our nice lawns. This year is the worst even here in Canada. Are there other members in this forum with this mole problems? Give us your receipe to get rid of them.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
Give us your receipe to get rid of them.
Can't resist ...
Attached Images

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Can't resist ...
Lol, that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

Mine is stored in my backyard. I could leave it on my driveway, but it would take up way to much room.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #10

I store mine at an outdoor storage facility 5 minutes from my house. I could keep in in the driveway, but they use salt on the roads here in the winter and I don't like th effect of salt on the undercarriage. Last year, before I took delivery of our new camper, the dealer had it parked close (within 100ft) to a street. This resulted in a rusty undercarriage, brakes, axles, anything metal that was exposed. My present storage location is quite a distance from any salted roads. I pay $1 per foot per month.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
I am catching these moles with mouse traps and peanut butter. I have caught 10 so far but I think it is a loosing battle because there are so many digging holes all over our nice lawns. This year is the worst even here in Canada. Are there other members in this forum with this mole problems? Give us your receipe to get rid of them.
If you're catching them with mouse traps and peanut butter maybe they
are voles and not moles

Also agree about putting mouse poison under the trailer to stop them
before they get in. We used to have an annual fall mouse infestation in
our house. We could not find where they were getting in but each fall when
the frost was on the pumpkin they would get in.
Several years ago I started an aggressive outside poisoning campaign and
we have not had any in the house since. I don't see why the same thing
wouldn't work for a trailer.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #12

I have to store mine at an RV and boat storage facility not far from our house. It costs $30 a month.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #13

I put in a gravel pad behind my garage for ours and use bait stations all around it for rodents. (Side note: My brother does pest control and says best way to keep mice out is to keep clutter away from buildings and use bait stations inside and out. Baitstations cause the pest to dehydrate and they usually leave to find water and die outside.) Not sure what we'll do when we get our new rig, maybe just put down some more gravel.
CliffP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #14
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I store mine at an outdoor storage facility 5 minutes from my house. I could keep in in the driveway, but they use salt on the roads here in the winter and I don't like th effect of salt on the undercarriage. Last year, before I took delivery of our new camper, the dealer had it parked close (within 100ft) to a street. This resulted in a rusty undercarriage, brakes, axles, anything metal that was exposed. My present storage location is quite a distance from any salted roads. I pay $1 per foot per month.
I never thought of the salt exposure issue.
My storage facility is located on a service road that runs parallel with the Expressway. There is a ditch running longside the service road so I am hoping that any salt that may be put on this road (which in itself is doubtful) would end up in the ditch and not farther over near my TT.
I will have to watch out for the salt however, and am glad you mentioned it!
Btw....I pay $67.oo/mos including tax for a 12x30ft spot =[ which seems to be the going rate around here.

$30/mos would be in my dreams, so to speak......
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I have to store mine at an RV and boat storage facility not far from our house. It costs $30 a month.
Same here. I have a big backyard but wife doesn't like the look of it there by fence. So What we do is store it at a nice place 10 min away. They have nice gravel, security cameras, gate code etc. Then when we leave or get back from our trip I park it in backyard to prep and or unload.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

In the summer it sits in the driveway.
In the winter it sits in my 40 x 100 shop
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
PatLor

In the Summer, it sits in a friend's business lot (secured lot). For our first Winter, we are putting it on a barn in the county fairground which rents out storage space. We live in a condo and they get cranky if our Grey Wolf 25rb is there longer than a night!
Pkdennis0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #18

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
We are trying something new this year. We had the camper Shrink-wrapped,like they do boats for winter storage. The material is White,7ml.and UV/protected, its like putting your camper in a bag then its heated and its tighter than a drum all over! We had them shrink-wrap it all the way to the bottom then they strapped it with nylon straps (6-straps) that are melted to the plastic so we can even pull it down the road if we want with the wrap on. We are storing beside the garage. We have pepermint oil inside for mouse control and traps outside. We also have dri-ese through out for humidity control.

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
We are trying something new this year. We had the camper Shrink-wrapped,like they do boats for winter storage. The material is White,7ml.and UV/protected, its like putting your camper in a bag then its heated and its tighter than a drum all over! We had them shrink-wrap it all the way to the bottom then they strapped it with nylon straps (6-straps) that are melted to the plastic so we can even pull it down the road if we want with the wrap on. We are storing beside the garage. We have pepermint oil inside for mouse control and traps outside. We also have dri-ese through out for humidity control.

hope you dont need the one thing you forgot in your camper !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
I never thought of the salt exposure issue.
My storage facility is located on a service road that runs parallel with the Expressway. There is a ditch running longside the service road so I am hoping that any salt that may be put on this road (which in itself is doubtful) would end up in the ditch and not farther over near my TT.
I will have to watch out for the salt however, and am glad you mentioned it!
Btw....I pay $67.oo/mos including tax for a 12x30ft spot =[ which seems to be the going rate around here.

$30/mos would be in my dreams, so to speak......
$30 a month over here in Michigan.. You could bring it over.. and fill up your truck with $3.29 a gallon gas while you are here !!
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote