Old 08-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Smile Where to begin??

Well after eight years of discussion between the wife and I, we have finally agreed to get an RV. We have settled on the Solaire 25bhss for our first rig. Neither of us have ever done any RVing or camping, but we wanted to find a way to spend more time with our four little ones while they were still little ones.

Over the past eight years we have collected some tailgating type stuff for fun and games. Now that we are taking delivery in a couple of weeks, we have started looking for items that are necessities. Any advice would be appreciated.

FreddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #2
Welcome and congratulations on the MH.

Surge protector.

Patio Mat.

Rhino hose with a clear elbow.

A pre/post trip check list.

Make the dealer show you how EVERY thing works, ask lots of questions. ( the only dumb ones are the un-ask ones)

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
We're new to camping this year & the following is a list of essentials plus some nice upgrades we added early-on...

Quality sewer hose, fresh water hose, rubber or latex gloves & old shoes/boots for walking around dump station area, enough wood or plastic leveling blocks to raise both tires on one side at least 3", wheel chocks, wood or blocks to go under tongue jack & stabilization jacks, first aide kit, lighter, bug spray & suntan lotion, citronella candles, collapsible ladder & broom to sweep-off slide-out before retracting, plus the obvious like cooking & cleaning supplies & enough clothes & bedding for your family.

I carry small toolkits in the TV & TT that allow minor repairs to TV & TT plus spare fuses for TV & TT, emergency triangles, reflective vest, hazard lights, 12V impact wrench, 12V extension, lug sockets, extra lug bolts & nuts, bottle jack, etc. in my TV so that I can safely change a tire on the TV or TT. I check my TT & TV lug nuts before every trip & @ 10, 25, 50 mile intervals after a tire change....

50A to 30A dogbone, 25' 30A extension, fresh water pressure regulator, inline water filter, mirror extensions on your truck to help you see better during turns..., outdoor carpet, folding chairs for fam. & possibly extra for guests, firewood, marshmallow sticks & cast iron camp cookers.

Better roof fans that work when its raining, like Maxxair. Better mattress, like Dynasty Mattress RV length. Most definitely better tires than stock China bombs - like Maxxis M8008, portable icemaker.

We camp a lot at state parks & another handy addition was a 42 gal. fresh water bladder (Camping World) & 42 gal. Barker waste water tote. With (3) kids & DW I didn't have to act as the water police on longer stays...
2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Site Team
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the soon to be new solaire tt. Some good advice above. For the fans, an easy diy project is a vent cover. If you have a basic fan then a maxxair cover is fine, if you have a fantastic fan then you need the fantastic vent cover. If you find the shower lacking you can get an oxygenics shower head. It will use less water and give a more powerful spray.

Videotape your pdi. Let the dealer know you expect the pdi to take a couple of hours. If it turns on or off, opens or closes, or goes up or down then you want them to demonstrate it to you and you return the demo. Even boil a cup of water in the microwave (learned the hard way about microwave running but not heating). Test both the AC and the heat. Have them show you where your hot water heater us and your water pump. Not just it's behind that door but have them open it up and show you them. Make sure no water on floor around these. While open, have them show you how to winterize and dewinterize the unit. Have them show you how to hitch and hitch the wdh. Check caulking, look inside cabinets, check the roof, etc. Do not hand over any money or sign any papers until everything is fixed to your satisfaction. If you have young kids get a babysitter for the pdi or at least bring entertainment so they are out of the way and not distracting you during the pdi.

Make sure you get a good wdh with integrated sway control like the reese dual cam or equal-i-zer. Learn how to properly adjust this.

Get a water pressure regulator (cheap at Wal-Mart).

Buy the forest river 2nd year factory warranty. It is $150. I don't see solaire on the list so I would contact palomino customer service and see if it is available to you. Do this quickly as you only have 10 days from date of purchase to register and purchase this. Your dealership will probably not mention this one to you or tell you it's not available so you will be more likely to buy their fancy expensive extended warranty.

Practice backing in an empty parking lot.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Thanks for the info, we did a walk though of the unit this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Ah what a beautiful check list. Even so, you will be shopping at a hardware store frequently. Once you're settled in at a RV park, don't get caught up in the daily happy hour and BBQ feed. Diet and exercise are an absolute must.
wagonrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:26 AM   #7
Solaire is eligible for second year warranty. Dealer informed us and had paperwork in the document folder for us when we bought earlier this month. Enjoy your Solaire - that's the model that initially got us interested in this line of TT. Ended up with 269BHDSK, but it was a hard decision.
Brian, Stacy, and the girls (8 and 5)
2011 F-250 CCSB 6.7L PSD 4WD
2013 Solaire 269BHDSK
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
If I were you I would go to the Escapees RV Boot Camp. You can find it on the Escapees website. It is the best thing that I have done regarding RVs. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
It really depends on how you plan to camp as to what you should bring with you(gourmet cooking, boondocking, home schooling, pets, laundry, hobies…..) .
I fully recommend camping in your home driveway for a good weekend or so. I keep two running list in my camper: things I need(pan, coffee mug, liter, first aid, wine cork, extra bearings, kids games……..) and things to fix when I can.
Your going to be bouncing a house down the road so some tools and fixit supplies are good.
Stopping by WalMart and Campingworld is dangerous but good.
Have fun, keep the family involved, and never let them see you stress
2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
Thanks really good information. We think we are set some thing we decided to wait on until we got the RV home and started loading it up. We think something we are just going to learn by doing it.