Old 11-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
You should take a look at the Sabre 250RLFD, as it has a much nicer layout than the Wildcat.
I did look at a Sabre 250RLUD, but it weighed over a 1,000 pounds more and was several feet longer. This is the weight posted on the door not the website weight. But it was a much nicer looking.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #12

The Sabre weighs 1000 lbs more than the Wildcat?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #13

From the perspective of an 8244S owner against our friends 241R, we've 5w'd with them many times, both RVs seem about the same.

Other than obvious differences, weight and carry capacity, perhaps some insulation differences, it doesn't appear significant advantages or disadvantages exist.

Cosmetics aside, the differences in layout, radio/TV, etc, and unless one wants to haul over 2 tons, not much differences exist.

Both seem comfortable to us. It's certainly of benefit to our style, having a smaller unit, given we like a more rugged adventure at national parks and camps rather than the RV parks with full amenities. Some parks didn't accomodate our 33' 5w, most all handle a 24'.

At one time, hauling lots of stuff made us more comfortable in that the case of chili provided an extra few days of grub. But, after 4 1/2 years and 33,000 nautical miles on a 40' boat in the Pacific, we came home with cans to spare. We never went hungry. And, the 10,000 miles to Alaska and back proved dotted with stores within easy reach.

Today, we have a difficult time stacking junk in-- simply in case of. We think it takes a bit of planning, research ahead regarding the junk, but stores everywhere sell food.

Both RVs sore inflatable kayaks, bikes, and an assortment of toys, but neither came with a hitch. Our friends put one on, just for the bikes, they find it easier. They are not as deluxe, meaning carpet quality, radios, etc, but they could have purchased an upgrade, too.

However, we also have friends that continue taking fences for the dogs, spares for everything, and place settings for the entire group, so they opt for the 35' RV. None of us are snowbirds.

Regarding problems-- both RVs have had issues, none serious, simply cosmetic.

I do like the lighter weight even tho' I pull with the same 6.6 diesel Duramax / Allison 6s that I used with the 33'. Fuel milage increased, ease of setting up and so on make the difference as well.

Good luck,
Mike
Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
JAYCO Representative

Thumbs up Wildcat eXtraLite info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Wildcat Chris should be along to clear this up.
I'm no expert on the Rockwood/Flagstaff lineup, but will tell you they're well-built coaches and very popular options as smaller, light weight trailers and fifth wheels. Their fifth wheels typically will beat my offerings in weight due to their lightweight-focused build.

As for the Wildcat eXtraLite line (our half-ton towable series), we use an 8" I-beam frame (with integrated 2" receiver hitch for accessories and/or towing), a 2" thick aluminum framed vacuum-bonded sidewall, tongue and groove joined 5/8" plywood flooring, 3/8" thick full walk-on roof, and a 5200# axle with 15" aluminum wheels standard. This does make us relatively heavier than some products out there, but with just cause since it mirrors our standard Wildcat line which optimizes our production.

The 241RLX is the smallest of the Wildcat eXtraLite fifth wheel lineup and serves as an entry point into the Wildcat family. For customers looking for smaller fifth wheels built like our larger offerings, the eXtraLite line provides a number of floor plan options towable by half-ton trucks.

Hope this helps!
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #15

"and a 5200# axle"
============
That would explain the much higher GVWR, as the Rockwood/Flagstaff's use much lighter axles. From what I understand, the GVWR is simply the pin weight added to the axle capacity. Our fifth has two 4000 lb axles plus about a 1500 lb pin weight, and its GVWR is around 9500 lbs.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #16
JAYCO Representative

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"and a 5200# axle"
============
That would explain the much higher GVWR, as the Rockwood/Flagstaff's use much lighter axles. From what I understand, the GVWR is simply the pin weight added to the axle capacity. Our fifth has two 4000 lb axles plus about a 1500 lb pin weight, and its GVWR is around 9500 lbs.
You are correct on your math.

Using GVWR can be a bit misleading sometimes, due to larger axles being used on smaller trailers. You can see this in the cargo carrying capacity, which can be well over 3000 lbs.!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #17

Thanks for everyone's input. The Wildcat moved ahead of the Flagstaff/Rockwood after I found some models via the internet that have chairs instead of the couch. I did not know this was an option.

The receiver hitch being built in is a big plus for me also. My only concern would be the tankless water heater. I have read good and bad reports on it.

Being the Wildcats have the concave front will they allow a 90 degree turn? I have a 6' 6" bed and do not want a slider hitch. The Rockwood I looked at had the Airborne extended pin box.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #18
JAYCO Representative

Post Tankless water heater is optional...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The receiver hitch being built in is a big plus for me also. My only concern would be the tankless water heater. I have read good and bad reports on it.
The tankless water heater is optional across the Wildcat line (a great upgrade for those in need of multiple hot showers in a row). The standard build is now a 10 gallon DSI gas/electric quick recovery water heater.