Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #1

Winegard Trav'ler Satellite Dish

We have a 2010 Blue Ridge fifth wheel and would like to install the Trav'ler satellite dish. Has anyone done this? I am not wild about the idea of drilling holes in my roof. Will this unit work with satellite hookup already installed on the side of the unit? Any advice would be appreciated.
BamaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #2

I installed one first thing on our new Georgetown (2 years ago now). We love it.

It's not hard to install. I first removed the flat dish style TV antenna that was on the roof as I had no use for it. I mounted the satellite dish in it's place and used it's coax as it was already run. I used lots of Dicor to seal and glue it down just like the factory used on the TV antenna. There is a 12volt control wire that goes to the box inside the rig. I drilled a 1" hole with a hole saw through the top of the fiberglass front cap to route the wire to the cabinet where the box was. The dish comes with a roof cap plate that covers this hole, you just caulk it really good and no problems. The installation instructions are very good. I believe you can download them from their site to see what is involved.

Of course every rig is different. Is your 5er pre wired for a satellite dish? The Georgetowns are and have what looks like a plumbing vent cap on the roof in the right front corner where they have run the coax to.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Yes, there are two satellite "in" connections on the side of the 5er in the convenience bay. We used them this past Labor Day on a trip. However, after going through setting up a 3 LNB dish on a tripod, I knew there had to be a better way. While this worked great, it was just too time consuming to lock in three different satellites. The Trav'ler appears to be a much more convenient way to accomplish mutiple programming on two different televisions. Thanks for the reply.
BamaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

BamaGirl, You won't be able to use the side inputs. See if FR wired the rig for an "on-roof" mounted satellite dish. On the motorhomes they do. If not it isn't that hard to snake the coax and power cable down a plumbing vent, refrigerator vent or to drill a hole in the roof even. The provided cover plate if caulked correctly will seal the hole just fine.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel