Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 PM   #1

Winter travel

We are thinking of traveling to Florida from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, for Xmas holidays. We have made this trek last winter, 24 hours of driving fun with 3 kids.
Now that we have purchased our FR Salem 26, we are thinking about towing it down with us and stay in state parks, however, my husband is concerned about towing in snow. The past couple of trips we've done the snow is basically nil after NY state about 4 hours of travel time from us. TV is a Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 with hemi

Also he is concerned with the $$ of gas, towing doubles our gas cost.

Have you more experienced tt owners traveled in winter snow...
partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 AM   #2

hmmmmmmmmmmm let me see

nope. none for me

I've driven my truck in the snow but nothing like you Northerners get.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Site Team

Even though we're from South Alabama we've towed in some pretty cold temps '10ºF'. Not very much snow though. Two years ago when we went to the Tetons there was still snow on the ground but the roads were clear so I may not be of much help with snow specifically.

First a few of questions for you.
1) Do you have the RV winterized?
2) Which brake controller do you have?

Just leave it winterized till you're out of the freezing area.
We run the furnace while towing to help keep it a little warm.
When towing in snow adjust your brake controller so it won't lock up the tires. A little less agressive than normal should do it.
I believe the extra weight on the rear of your TV and the extra wind drag would actually help the situation a bit over an empty TV in snow.

Take all this with a grain of salt cause being from the south I don't have a lot of experience with driving in the snow.

Whatever you do take it slow and easy.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

When you come to Georgia, High Falls State Park is literally minutes from I-75 and is quite nice. Lots of big pull throughs up on "D" loop. Fairly cheap rates, nice catfish resturant at park entrance. Catfish and hush puppies would make a nice experimental meal for folks from Canada!

See my pictures of High Falls SP in the photo gallery.

When it snows, I generally take the day off!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #5

I have driven and pulled a lot in the snow. Keep your speed in check, back your brake controller down a little so your truck brakes apply 1st and keep a light touch on the brakes and keep your spacing. Always keep your propane tanks toped up because if you run into a snow storm, pull over someplace safe, start your furnace and have an adult beverage or 2 and wait out the storm get a good nights sleep and wait for the road to be cleared and carry on.

2000 Volvo 660 D12 425 hp 1550 torque 15 speed, Trailer Saver air ride hitch. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS 40'10" triple slide, triple axle 5'er toybox, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, Onan 5500 Marques Platnum. 1998 Polaris 300 Explorer 4X4 quad, 2003 Polaris 700 Sportsman 4X4 quad, 1994 Jeep YJ "TOAD" 3" lift 31" ProComp Mud Terrain tires

https://community.webshots.com/user/Bears319

https://www.picturetrail.com/bears319

Mission Statement : ZZZZzzzzz
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #6

Thanks Bear, good advice from fellow Canadian...

Radio - I will for sure be looking into the High Falls park, looks beautiful, and a taste of southern food would be great. Even if we don't tow the tt, we are going to make a point of pulling off the I-75 and checking this out in person.

Decision still not final on towing, I booked three state parks in FLA, Oscar Scherer near Sarasota (west coast), Sebastian Inlet SP, and Jonathan Dickinson SP on east coast.
If we don't tow, i'll cancel reservations and stay with relatives, but we really would love to have our own home away from home with us.

Had to cancel a trip booked for this weekend, both my boys have hockey games, they are pretty bummed out by this wanted to tell the coach they had the flu : ) to get out of it. The weather has been beautiful all week mid to high 70F had a great place lined up at Bon Echo Provincial Park, if any of you southerners are looking at making a trek up north it is a beautiful spot
Old 09-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #7

Weather has been great here as well. For Thanksgiving weekend (Oct 11,12,13 up here in Canada) we are headed out to Beaver Mines in the Rockys. There should not be any snow at that altitude yet (4000 ft). There is a group of about 10 of us going up (5 trailers) camping and quadding and we will be having deep fried turky sunday night. This will be the last camping and quading of the season and time to winterize the unit. I have work untill mid March/09 then it is time to de winterize and get camping again. In June July and August we will be doing an Alaskan vacation depending on fuel costs. If fuel is real stupid we will have to go play in the mountains again for 3 or 4 months.

2000 Volvo 660 D12 425 hp 1550 torque 15 speed, Trailer Saver air ride hitch. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS 40'10" triple slide, triple axle 5'er toybox, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, Onan 5500 Marques Platnum. 1998 Polaris 300 Explorer 4X4 quad, 2003 Polaris 700 Sportsman 4X4 quad, 1994 Jeep YJ "TOAD" 3" lift 31" ProComp Mud Terrain tires

https://community.webshots.com/user/Bears319

https://www.picturetrail.com/bears319

Mission Statement : ZZZZzzzzz
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:41 PM   #8

We look forward to going your way next summer/fall doing the fall color thing in Eastern Canada and New England. We really enjoy the Provincial Parks in Canada and appreciate the name of one you enjoy.

As for traveling south in snow, Bear has given you good advice. We travel a lot in snow, with and without the RV. Same basic rules apply for both. Just keep a soft brake sothe tt doesn't jacknife. If snow turns to ice I would quit and let it melt. You have a 4x4, take advantage of it as it will give security on snow.

Unless it is a really bad storm, most of the time things are cleared out quickly. If you are "stormed in" you probably won't be able to travel with just a car/TV until it lets up. In that case it may be nice to have the tt in which to wait it out.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #9

We have only camped in Ontario, but look forward to traveling farther and checking out more of our beautiful parks up here next summer.

Bon Echo Provincial Park is spectacular and would be beautiful with the fall colours, Sandbanks Provincial Park has the best beaches around here. Go to OntarioParks.com and you can check the individual parks out and you are able to reserve online.

Enjoy!! and thanks for the advice.

Christine
Old 09-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

Ah, to tow, or not to tow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyof5 View Post

Radio - I will for sure be looking into the High Falls park, looks beautiful, and a taste of southern food would be great. Even if we don't tow the tt, we are going to make a point of pulling off the I-75 and checking this out in person.

Decision still not final on towing...
If you choose not to tow then Indian Springs State Park is 15 miles from I-75 and that park has cabins. Rates are about the same as hotel rooms. Minutes from High Falls State Park

http://www.gastateparks.org/net/go/p...D=65&s=0.0.1.5

High Falls State Park

http://www.gastateparks.org/net/go/p...D=31&s=0.0.1.5

Click on the state map to see any of the parks in Georgia.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote