Old 12-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
You live north of me and I winterize. It only takes one good freeze to give you grief in the spring. It isn't hard to do and it only costs you about $6, well worth the effort.

2014 Palomino Puma 25RS
2011 F-150 Super Crew XLT
Days camped in 2014 - 23
Camped 2015 - 47
Camped 2016 - 51 done - 6 more planned so far
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #12
I live in South Texas. Last year, it never went below freezing. About 4 years ago it went below freezing for a few nights. If I had not winterized, it would have frozen my lines. It only takes one time, so just in case I winterize. I only blow lines and put rv anti-freeze in all traps which takes about an hour or less. I lived in south Indiana for 8 years of rv. I did the same up there and never had a problem. It got below zero up there. Don't forget tiolet, showers (inside and outside),each sink and low point drains. Refrig if ice maker.

2015 Flagstaff 26VFKS
TV - 2014 F150 Crew Cab 5.0L
WDH - 1,200 Equalizer
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
Site Team
Just a reminder - The OP is new to RVing and inquired about if it's necessary to winterizing. To me it doesn't sound like the OP wanted to take a risk but rather just wanted to ask if it was something that they should be doing.

And thanks to those that have provided helpful feedback.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Just a reminder - The OP is new to RVing and inquired about if it's necessary to winterizing. To me it doesn't sound like the OP wanted to take a risk but rather just wanted to ask if it was something that they should be doing.

And thanks to those that have provided helpful feedback.
OK,the answer to the OP is YES-Winterize! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #15
Hey, I'm a gamblin' man (Not!!)

Too many average lows below freezing between Dec and Feb in N. Georgia. Ten dollars on antifreeze or ten dollars on the mega lotto. Only one is a sure thing.

Pex is the most commonly fw pipe used in the RV industry. The pipe may take a minimal freeze w/o rupturing, but the plastic fittings will break in a heartbeat.
It is pretty certain that the replies will prompt you to winterize sooner than later.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #16
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
No one NEEDS to winterize.. But then do not be shocked it one day you come out and find a broken pipe, faucet or valve. When I moved we to where I am now we were behind on the winterizing, I missed ONE night of bellow freezing and it destroyed my sink faucet and a filter housing... This was just ONE night of freeze. Only made that mistake ONE time as well.. LOL

If there is even the slightest risk of a freeze I'd personally not risk it and spend the 30 minutes to at least blow out the lines.
It's 16 degrees here right now, and winter doesn't start for a few more days. I sorta think I NEED to winterize---or else!
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #17
Who Dares, Wins
I was being facetious... But, still stands... No one technically needs to DO anything. But as I said, you then will accept the consequences.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #18
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
Originally Posted by mjwise View Post
Hi to all! Question about winterizing my Salem Hemisphere 337bar (5th wheel): I (new to rv-ing) live here in N central Ga where we seldom get freezing weather; maybe a few days in January/February. Is it really necessary to winterize? We've camped a few times this past year with full-hookups only... I.e. nothing was put in the fresh water tank (never used). Of course the lowest levels in the lines will be drained. Maybe I can just get through the season by blowing the lines clear & draining the water heater. Thoughts?

Thanks to all!
Well you live just west of me and I winterize every year. Drain heater blow lines out than add the antifreeze which is about a 1 1/2 gals simple and easy and maybe takes 45 min to do and will save you some bucks in the long run. Friend of mine did not due last year and cost him couple hundred bucks to repair his damage to frozen water lines. BTW will not cost $10 as you buy cheap at Wallmart. Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:17 PM   #19
Well you live in an area that you might not need to winterize.

But if you do not it will probably freeze, and if you do it will probably not freeze.

So it would be your call and watching the weather closely. If it was to freeze it could be very disappointing and costly. And that is why most people would sleep better at night by winterizing.

But your question might give you away as already knowing the correct answer. Good luck.
17Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #20
For years I just blew out my lines. One Spring in Memphis, TN, we headed out for the first campout of the year, traveling with some to Huntsville, AL to visit the Space & Rocket Center. Got all set up, turned on the water and blew the knob off one of my shower faucets. We couldn't find a replacement, so we camped without water. Since then I use antifreeze. One drop of water that freezes can cause a lot of headache.

tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote

winter, winterize