Old 12-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #31
I don't do it in central California and never have in 18 years of RV'ing.

j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #32
Site Team
It probably takes less time to winterize with antifreeze than blowing lines completely. Antifreeze costs less than $10. Don;t forget outside shower, inside shower, toilet and sink sprayer if equipped. In any case, winterize some way it is not worth the risk.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #33
Years ago, lived in panhandle of Florida and had pipes burst on trailer. Was an unusual cold front came through... but it happens.

Now, in central Georgia, we blow out the lines (opening each faucet & toilet with air pressure to system), drain the WH, put enough antifreeze in all the drains to fill the trap and be sure some of it runs into the gray/black tanks, antifreeze down the toilet... and drain the fresh water tank... and let the water pump try to pull some water after it is drained (hopefully) so it will not have water still in the pump. A few times, with especially bad freeze, I have left an electric heater running ... or the furnace running but not up to normal temperature, in trailer overnight. That has worked for several years for us... even through some freezes where I have known of people having pipes burst in their houses.
Me & the DW
2016 Coachmen Brookstone 334RE Fifth Wheel
2015 Chevy 3500HD Diesel DRW Crew Cab 4X4 LTZ
PapaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #34
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
It probably takes less time to winterize with antifreeze than blowing lines completely. Antifreeze costs less than $10. Don;t forget outside shower, inside shower, toilet and sink sprayer if equipped. In any case, winterize some way it is not worth the risk.
X2 Flybob, takes 1-1/2 gallons on my rig "no filter". Run enough pink stuff through the faucets to fill the traps and a couple of inches in the commode. A dab through the outside shower and a little out the low point drains, done. Less than $5.00 a gallon for the prestone rv antifreeze at wally world. I keep a few gallons with me when we travel in winter months. I use to just blow out the lines but this is faster and safer.
2014 8289WS Diamond pkg
2014 Ram 2500 SB DC TCD
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #35
Originally Posted by billcoll View Post
When water freezes, it expands in the direction of least resistance (remember filling ice cube trays in the old days, and the cubes had little peaks?). If there are a few drops of water in the lines and a gallon or less in tanks, when it freezes and expands, it shouldn't cause any problems. A little antifreeze down each drain is all I do also in No. Ga. and never had any problems.
Yep, no problems until that one little drop remains trapped (with no room for expansion) in one of the faucet valves, the pump check valve or some other inconvenient location.

Blowing out with compressed air is great and I do it too... but... it's not all I do.
At $2.98 a gallon, the pink stuff is really priceless.
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 44
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #36
I'm in south east Texas just drained hot water heater and blew all the lines out, that's how I've winterized for the last 20 years but I keep pink stuff on hand case the weather really goes cold like in the 20's then I pump pink stuff thru my lines. Only had to do that a few times a few years back when it got down to 7F. for a few days. I don't have pee traps but if I did I'd put pink in them just in case.
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #37

SW Louisiana. Never winterized. Do most of our camping in cold months, freeze warnings are forecast days ahead,and snow is "Big News" here!
D-maxx dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #38
Live in NW Atlanta. Forgot to open the shower hose when I blew out the system between winter camping trips. Grandkids turned on the shower and water sprayed everywhere. Quick trip to CW for a new shower head.

Yes! You need to winterize in north Ga.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RiverBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #39
For those that use anti freeze in the lines. Do you have any problems with water tasting bad when you de-winterize? We used antifreeze the first time after getting an Rv took a month for me not to taste it. Now blow out lines and anti freeze in drains, have not had any problems in past 10 years. I also leave all valves open after done.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #40
Who Dares, Wins
I had not used AF for the last 10 years winterizing.. I decided I would use it this time. We get cold snaps so I needed to winterize a few times before putting it away for the season.. MAN I flushed the system and the water tasted bad for a few days before clearing out. I think I will blow out the AF before flushing in the spring and might just stick to using air like I had always done in the past.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

winter, winterize