Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #1

Wolf pup 16fq or Apex nano 187rb

Hello all,

Wife and I have narrowed our search down to either the Apex Nano 187rb or the wolf pup 16fq due to layout (walk around queen, full fridge, dry bath) and weight.

Apex
http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=62&ModelID=1594

Wolf pup
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=177&ShowParent=1&ModelID=1332# Main

Any feedback as to what one would have the better buid quality / longevity out of the two?

The Apex is fancier looking on the outside and a few thousand dollars more, has an aluminum skeleton and the fiberglass azdel siding. The wolf pup has really nice stairs is stick built and has aluminum siding
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #2

I own the Apex Nano 193BHS.

I specifically chose this model for the build quality. The interiors aren't much different, but the shell and the structure is more durable. The Azdel can't rot at all so if you have a leak, it's not catastrophic. The fiberglass is also a huge plus being lightweight, and durable.

Overall, it is very sturdy and worth the extra dollars. One quality measure that I looked at was the ceiling. When you push on the ceiling of the Apex, it's very rigid. While I'm not sure of the specific model you're also looking at, the stick built models have a ceiling that flexes a large amount. It doesn't affect the actual structural integrity of the roof, but it's just only less thing that bounces around.

Anyway, those are my two cents.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #3

Since you already own the Apex I will give your opinion 99 cents worth of credit instead of just 2.

FWIW I posted this on another forum and the Apex nano has 100% of the votes so far.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
RV There Yet?

I own a 2018 wolf pup, not your specific model though (17RP). the fit and finish is great, build quality is also fantastic. if it were an option on our unit, i would have sprung for the azdel for various reasons. the wolf pups are not bad units, but there is something to be said for a unit that really cant rot if you get a leak in it.

get the unit that fits your lifestyle and budget. If you are up on your roof all the time checking things over, and are up on maintenance then get the cheaper unit. if you are like most of us and a little bit lax on that, get the Apex. how long do you plan to keep this unit? if you only plan on 2-5 years, then i woul go cheaper. if longer, i would get the Apex.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #5

Probably 5 - 7 years then we will get a big truck and a 5th wheel or motorhome.

Interestingly enough the wolf pup has an option for a gel coat side but it does not say what kind of product it is.

I came across a few in my search and they are about the same price as the Apex when fitted with the gel coat

https://www.paulsherryrvs.com/rv/piq...l+edition+16fq

I assume you still have the wood walls and roof trusses but not sure.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #6

Shopping the same market.

Things that matter in my opinion:
  • Aluminum frame is superior to stick-built.
  • Choice of Azdel is potentially superior, but largely because it's usually associated with the aluminum structure and superior exterior skin.
  • Axles matter a LOT. Personal preference is for Dexter torsion axles over leaf springs. But if the choice is between leaf spring suspensions, pay close attention to build quality and the choice of components. Many leaf spring suspensions come through with plastic bushings and flimsy mounting hardware. If there's a difference between the two, I'd go with the superior quality suspension package...or be prepared to upgrade with aftermarket parts soon.
  • Wheel well structure...a blow-out can be devastatingly expensive. A $200 tire failure can turn into a $2000 RV repair in a hurry. If there is a difference between the structures of the wheel-wells, metal is superior to wood at containing a blow-out.
  • Cabinetry build quality is important. Hardwood with pocket screw assembly is typically superior to MDF with laminate finish. Life in a moving RV is extremely demanding, and the hardwood is likely to be more durable over time -- and more easy to repair.
  • The better steps are nice, but they're a nice-to-have vs. a need-to-have.
  • Ground clearance can be a big deal. If you plan to boondock or go "off-road," consider getting the camper lifted, and look at things like black and gray dump pipes and stairs to see if they are close to the axle(s) where they are safer, or if they are hanging down in harm's way in locations far from the axles...positions that get much closer to the ground. I lifted my PUP because the stairs took a constant beating, and the black tank dump was also in a vulnerable spot.

Just my opinions...worth every penny you paid for them.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #7

Thanks for the help, we looked at and decided on the Apex nano 191rbs!
Old 08-09-2022, 08:05 AM   #8

Tank capacities, 30 vs 20 gallons each

Yes, an old thread, but useful to somebody else considering the same choices. Apex Nano 187RB has 30 gallon fresh, gray, and black tanks. The Wolf Pup 16FQ only has 20 gallon tanks. Huge difference if dry camping!
DanBeauvais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wolf pup