Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #21

What a great trip! When I was a kid, my parents were both teachers and my father taught 6th grade social studies. So one summer 5 of us went from NY to California and back on a 7 week trip in a 23ft motorhome. We survived - and actually it was the best thing ever. Would love to find a way to do that with our son.

Being from the east coast also, to me, a trip like this is mostly about seeing the west. You can always fill in the rest of the east coast on shorter trips later. Looking at your sheet, the one thing that stood out to me was that your route so far spends July and most of August in the south. Nice weather is preciously short up north (as I sit here looking at more than a foot of snow still on the ground).

Might not be feasible, but if it worked, I would go north first. St. Louis is the perfect "starting point." Then follow your plan up toward Chicago. Maybe add the UP of Mich into the route. South shore of Superior is gorgeous in the summer.

Then you could work your way across Minn, S.D. Montana. Definitely work in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP. Then a couple options - maybe zig-zag back to hit Colorado in nice weather. I could spend a long time there exploring. That was my state on our cc trip. Then head for the Pacific NW. Lots to do/see and the weather is going to milder in the fall/early winter. Head down the coast to San Francisco, Yosemite, Red Wood & Sequoia NP's. Then leave So Cal, Nevada, Az, Tx, La, FL for the winter.

Whatever route you come up with, it will be an unforgettable adventure.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Martinto, you win the internet. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!
And sadly, I've crashed my trip plan on their site. I don't know if I have too many points, a bad address, or what- but it doesn't route between the points. That's really a shame- their interface (while a little crude) was exactly what I was looking for. I hope to hear back from them.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #23

It sounds like a great adventure..How about The Setzers U.S. Safari
Old 03-27-2015, 10:12 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
If it helps, I'm also seemingly excluding Kansas and Oklahoma so far.

I'm having a hard time finding a web site that lets me put in enough stops. Map quest does up to 26. I need something with 55-60.
You definitely need to see some wheat harvesting during the summer, whether it's in Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, eastern Colorado or somewhere to let the kids and yourself see the monstrous combines cutting 30' swathes of standing wheat and ending up with just the grain in the tank. It is something to see when a custom harvesting crew descends on a field. Numerous combines and trucks all moving like a choreographed play.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You definitely need to see some wheat harvesting during the summer, whether it's in Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, eastern Colorado or somewhere to let the kids and yourself see the monstrous combines cutting 30' swathes of standing wheat and ending up with just the grain in the tank. It is something to see when a custom harvesting crew descends on a field. Numerous combines and trucks all moving like a choreographed play.
Also the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Mountain, Lake Tahoe, Trail Ridge Road in Colorado. And one of our most favorite places is Branson, MO and Silverdollar City.

I think you better plan on 4 years and go to the west coast and start going just north to south, moving toward the east about 3-400 miles at a time.
There is SO much to see in this great country.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #26
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Also the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Mountain, Lake Tahoe, Trail Ridge Road in Colorado. And one of our most favorite places is Branson, MO and Silverdollar City.

I think you better plan on 4 years and go to the west coast and start going just north to south, moving toward the east about 3-400 miles at a time.
There is SO much to see in this great country.
The two biggest challenges that I'm having is 1) as you said- seeing everything and 2) avoiding cold while doing it. One of my first plan drafts had me going to Colorado in November until I put dates together.

So far, here's my plan (always subject to change!):
https://roadtrippers.com/trips/7301000
Old 03-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #27

Quote:
First things first- I need a witty name for this adventure! My last name is Setzer if that helps you.
Like Brian Setzer? You could call it the Stray Cats Tour 2015!
Or Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's AmeriTour
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
What a great trip! When I was a kid, my parents were both teachers and my father taught 6th grade social studies. So one summer 5 of us went from NY to California and back on a 7 week trip in a 23ft motorhome. We survived - and actually it was the best thing ever. Would love to find a way to do that with our son.
We've actually titled this "Now Or Never" as our daughter gets older- it has turned into one of those things that we either do it now that she's 11 or never once she doesn't want to be stuck with Maw and Paw.

Quote:
Being from the east coast also, to me, a trip like this is mostly about seeing the west. You can always fill in the rest of the east coast on shorter trips later. Looking at your sheet, the one thing that stood out to me was that your route so far spends July and most of August in the south. Nice weather is preciously short up north (as I sit here looking at more than a foot of snow still on the ground).
That's a bit of the unpredictability with us. We originally planned to spend the summer in Florida only. To that end, we bought annual passes for Disney World so that we could come and go as we wanted. Take a week's vacation, and then spend the next bunch of weeks in that area. My wife is sticking to wanting that start, though I've rearranged things since my first draft and have tightened up our time there somewhat.

Quote:
Might not be feasible, but if it worked, I would go north first. St. Louis is the perfect "starting point." Then follow your plan up toward Chicago. Maybe add the UP of Mich into the route. South shore of Superior is gorgeous in the summer.
In the current draft, I think we'll end up going north to Michigan from Florida, across the northern states, down California, and then across the southern states before spiraling back through the middle of the country to pickup St. Louis.

Quote:
Then you could work your way across Minn, S.D. Montana. Definitely work in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP. Then a couple options - maybe zig-zag back to hit Colorado in nice weather. I could spend a long time there exploring. That was my state on our cc trip. Then head for the Pacific NW. Lots to do/see and the weather is going to milder in the fall/early winter. Head down the coast to San Francisco, Yosemite, Red Wood & Sequoia NP's. Then leave So Cal, Nevada, Az, Tx, La, FL for the winter.

Whatever route you come up with, it will be an unforgettable adventure.
The route, timing, and everything are making my brain 'splode.

Current route with timing
Old 03-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Like Brian Setzer? You could call it the Stray Cats Tour 2015!
Or Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's AmeriTour
Love it! Yes, like Brian Setzer, but no relation. Apparently there were 2 sets of Setzers who came on boats to America. He's one line, I'm the other.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #30

This is an amazing trip in the makings, I hope you start a blog about it so I can pretend I'm on the trip as well, instead of stuck in cube-land-hell from 9-5.

BTW... don't exclude Iowa from your trip. Just take I-80 over to Des Moines from Chicago, stay for a week, and then hit I-35 straight North into Minneapolis. Its the perfect route.

You may think its only corn and pig farming here, but we got soy beans and cows too.

Plan on a September stop in Ames, Iowa during football season. You'll see my rig up there with a dozen people and our kids enjoying some tailgating festivities. 55,000 of my closest friends will also be in attendance.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Rich View Post
This is an amazing trip in the makings, I hope you start a blog about it so I can pretend I'm on the trip as well, instead of stuck in cube-land-hell from 9-5.

BTW... don't exclude Iowa from your trip.
You may think its only corn and pig farming, but we got soy beans and cows too.

Plan on an August or September stop in Ames, Iowa during football season. You'll see my rig up there with a dozen people and their kids enjoying some tailgating festivities. 55,000 of my closest friends will also be in attendance.

Good luck and have fun.
There will definitely be a blog! It's how I roll.

But, my plan is to spiral through the states in the middle of the country after next winter - Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Or in some order- I'm not sure how or when I can start to go north before working about cold and snow.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #32

I did this with my boys when they were 9 and 15. We spent just 3 months but only targeted the western states. I still get comments from my grown sons about memories from that trip! I recommend changing your travel schedule some to spend more time at places like Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon and less at other spots. I stayed 2-3 days at places like the Alamo so I could throw in a day at a kid's activity like Six Flags. Some places such as Cody, Wyoming didn't take a whole week but my boys sure loved the rodeo. We all had assigned roles during set up and break down from the campsites so that part never took too long. I tried never to drive more than 200-300 miles a day. I envy you! Have fun! PS: Make your Yellowstone and Grand Canyon campground reservations well in advance.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:45 PM   #33

There are several things we do as we plan our yearly excursions:

1. We target state capitols, state museums, presidential museums and locations marked as "GEMS" in the AAA books. All very educational. We have a booklet that gets stamped as we visit each capitol. The "GEMS" are usually the best of the good sites to visit.

2. We try not to travel the interstate. The state highways makes for a more relaxing drive and a person gets a closer and better view of he country.

3. We try not to drive too many miles a day or follow strict time lines. These just create stress.

4. When finished with a guided tour we'll ask the docent what's interesting to see nearby. We find hidden treasures that are not advertised.

5. We prefer public campgrounds. More relaxing, cost less, more room. But since your working as you go this may not be a good choice for you.

Main thing is to relax and enjoy. You want to create pleasant memories for your kids.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #34
Roger and Paula

Consider NE and East Oklahoma, can take you into western Arkansas, Branson Missouri. Many lakes, Ozarks. Don't know your plans but beautiful in the fall.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #35

There is a website of blogs of families doing just what you propose. You can find ideas and info from the people currently doing it. Also, you can post a link to your blog there so others can follow your journey.
FamiliesOnTheRoad.com
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #36

Can't believe that no one from Wisconsin is helping you out with this. If you want to stay on the main interstate from Chicago to Minnesota, after your stop at Devils Lake State Park (reservations are needed) you can continue up I90 and just before you cross into Minnesota, turn north along the Mississippi and spend a day or 2 at Interstate State Park. It is right on the river and not far off of your planned trip.
You can cross the Mississippi there and continue on to the Mall of America. If it was me I would skip the hassle of the Dells area and the interstate altogether and instead drive up the "Great River Road" from Dubuque to Lacrosse WI. Beautiful drive up the river and several nice State Parks along the way. Just a thought.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:22 PM   #37
Always Learning

I've got some old school mapping going on! Now, let's hope that my almost 3 year old doesn't pick off the post it stickers!

Old 03-31-2015, 01:11 AM   #38

A couple stops DW and I found interesting.

Historic Auto Attractions, Roscoe, IL, a museum that has a little of everything. Worth the stop.

House on the Rock, Spring Green, WI, a strange place with a lot to see.

We have been trying to see the states 2 weeks at a time. Would love to do what you are planning. Will have to wait for retirement.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:39 AM   #39

Oh you suck. (Mumbled dripping with jealousy)

And I thought I was ambitious taking two weeks to go to Yellowstone and Colorado this summer. Good for you! While I work from home I couldn't get away with more than a few days working on the road.

I noticed you'll be 45 miles from me in July. When you get here let me know.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:18 AM   #40

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I guess the Sabre will be a Full Time rig then. From a 5er/TV perspective you should get sponsors for your adventure.Goodyear/Kraft Foods/FIAT/Geo Method etc...Sounds like fun! Maybe a HGTV Show about Stezers Great American Adventures..
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote