Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #21

What a great trip! When I was a kid, my parents were both teachers and my father taught 6th grade social studies. So one summer 5 of us went from NY to California and back on a 7 week trip in a 23ft motorhome. We survived - and actually it was the best thing ever. Would love to find a way to do that with our son.

Being from the east coast also, to me, a trip like this is mostly about seeing the west. You can always fill in the rest of the east coast on shorter trips later. Looking at your sheet, the one thing that stood out to me was that your route so far spends July and most of August in the south. Nice weather is preciously short up north (as I sit here looking at more than a foot of snow still on the ground).

Might not be feasible, but if it worked, I would go north first. St. Louis is the perfect "starting point." Then follow your plan up toward Chicago. Maybe add the UP of Mich into the route. South shore of Superior is gorgeous in the summer.

Then you could work your way across Minn, S.D. Montana. Definitely work in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP. Then a couple options - maybe zig-zag back to hit Colorado in nice weather. I could spend a long time there exploring. That was my state on our cc trip. Then head for the Pacific NW. Lots to do/see and the weather is going to milder in the fall/early winter. Head down the coast to San Francisco, Yosemite, Red Wood & Sequoia NP's. Then leave So Cal, Nevada, Az, Tx, La, FL for the winter.

Whatever route you come up with, it will be an unforgettable adventure.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Martinto, you win the internet. THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!
And sadly, I've crashed my trip plan on their site. I don't know if I have too many points, a bad address, or what- but it doesn't route between the points. That's really a shame- their interface (while a little crude) was exactly what I was looking for. I hope to hear back from them.

ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #23

It sounds like a great adventure..How about The Setzers U.S. Safari
Old 03-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
If it helps, I'm also seemingly excluding Kansas and Oklahoma so far.

I'm having a hard time finding a web site that lets me put in enough stops. Map quest does up to 26. I need something with 55-60.
You definitely need to see some wheat harvesting during the summer, whether it's in Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, eastern Colorado or somewhere to let the kids and yourself see the monstrous combines cutting 30' swathes of standing wheat and ending up with just the grain in the tank. It is something to see when a custom harvesting crew descends on a field. Numerous combines and trucks all moving like a choreographed play.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You definitely need to see some wheat harvesting during the summer, whether it's in Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, eastern Colorado or somewhere to let the kids and yourself see the monstrous combines cutting 30' swathes of standing wheat and ending up with just the grain in the tank. It is something to see when a custom harvesting crew descends on a field. Numerous combines and trucks all moving like a choreographed play.
Also the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Mountain, Lake Tahoe, Trail Ridge Road in Colorado. And one of our most favorite places is Branson, MO and Silverdollar City.

I think you better plan on 4 years and go to the west coast and start going just north to south, moving toward the east about 3-400 miles at a time.
There is SO much to see in this great country.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Also the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Mountain, Lake Tahoe, Trail Ridge Road in Colorado. And one of our most favorite places is Branson, MO and Silverdollar City.

I think you better plan on 4 years and go to the west coast and start going just north to south, moving toward the east about 3-400 miles at a time.
There is SO much to see in this great country.
The two biggest challenges that I'm having is 1) as you said- seeing everything and 2) avoiding cold while doing it. One of my first plan drafts had me going to Colorado in November until I put dates together.

So far, here's my plan (always subject to change!):
https://roadtrippers.com/trips/7301000
Old 03-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #27

Quote:
First things first- I need a witty name for this adventure! My last name is Setzer if that helps you.
Like Brian Setzer? You could call it the Stray Cats Tour 2015!
Or Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's AmeriTour
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
What a great trip! When I was a kid, my parents were both teachers and my father taught 6th grade social studies. So one summer 5 of us went from NY to California and back on a 7 week trip in a 23ft motorhome. We survived - and actually it was the best thing ever. Would love to find a way to do that with our son.
We've actually titled this "Now Or Never" as our daughter gets older- it has turned into one of those things that we either do it now that she's 11 or never once she doesn't want to be stuck with Maw and Paw.

Quote:
Being from the east coast also, to me, a trip like this is mostly about seeing the west. You can always fill in the rest of the east coast on shorter trips later. Looking at your sheet, the one thing that stood out to me was that your route so far spends July and most of August in the south. Nice weather is preciously short up north (as I sit here looking at more than a foot of snow still on the ground).
That's a bit of the unpredictability with us. We originally planned to spend the summer in Florida only. To that end, we bought annual passes for Disney World so that we could come and go as we wanted. Take a week's vacation, and then spend the next bunch of weeks in that area. My wife is sticking to wanting that start, though I've rearranged things since my first draft and have tightened up our time there somewhat.

Quote:
Might not be feasible, but if it worked, I would go north first. St. Louis is the perfect "starting point." Then follow your plan up toward Chicago. Maybe add the UP of Mich into the route. South shore of Superior is gorgeous in the summer.
In the current draft, I think we'll end up going north to Michigan from Florida, across the northern states, down California, and then across the southern states before spiraling back through the middle of the country to pickup St. Louis.

Quote:
Then you could work your way across Minn, S.D. Montana. Definitely work in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP. Then a couple options - maybe zig-zag back to hit Colorado in nice weather. I could spend a long time there exploring. That was my state on our cc trip. Then head for the Pacific NW. Lots to do/see and the weather is going to milder in the fall/early winter. Head down the coast to San Francisco, Yosemite, Red Wood & Sequoia NP's. Then leave So Cal, Nevada, Az, Tx, La, FL for the winter.

Whatever route you come up with, it will be an unforgettable adventure.
The route, timing, and everything are making my brain 'splode.

Current route with timing
Old 03-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Like Brian Setzer? You could call it the Stray Cats Tour 2015!
Or Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's AmeriTour
Love it! Yes, like Brian Setzer, but no relation. Apparently there were 2 sets of Setzers who came on boats to America. He's one line, I'm the other.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #30

This is an amazing trip in the makings, I hope you start a blog about it so I can pretend I'm on the trip as well, instead of stuck in cube-land-hell from 9-5.

BTW... don't exclude Iowa from your trip. Just take I-80 over to Des Moines from Chicago, stay for a week, and then hit I-35 straight North into Minneapolis. Its the perfect route.

You may think its only corn and pig farming here, but we got soy beans and cows too.

Plan on a September stop in Ames, Iowa during football season. You'll see my rig up there with a dozen people and our kids enjoying some tailgating festivities. 55,000 of my closest friends will also be in attendance.

Good luck and have fun.