Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 10:33 AM   #41
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
I did this with my boys when they were 9 and 15. We spent just 3 months but only targeted the western states. I still get comments from my grown sons about memories from that trip! I recommend changing your travel schedule some to spend more time at places like Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon and less at other spots. I stayed 2-3 days at places like the Alamo so I could throw in a day at a kid's activity like Six Flags. Some places such as Cody, Wyoming didn't take a whole week but my boys sure loved the rodeo. We all had assigned roles during set up and break down from the campsites so that part never took too long. I tried never to drive more than 200-300 miles a day. I envy you! Have fun! PS: Make your Yellowstone and Grand Canyon campground reservations well in advance.
Thanks for the information. My challenge with a whole week is that we really only have 2 days of sight-seeing (Saturday and Sunday) since I'll be working full-time while we do this. I'm trying to hammer out enough of a plan now that we can make some key reservations like those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 84 View Post
There are several things we do as we plan our yearly excursions:

1. We target state capitols, state museums, presidential museums and locations marked as "GEMS" in the AAA books. All very educational. We have a booklet that gets stamped as we visit each capitol. The "GEMS" are usually the best of the good sites to visit.

2. We try not to travel the interstate. The state highways makes for a more relaxing drive and a person gets a closer and better view of he country.

3. We try not to drive too many miles a day or follow strict time lines. These just create stress.

4. When finished with a guided tour we'll ask the docent what's interesting to see nearby. We find hidden treasures that are not advertised.

5. We prefer public campgrounds. More relaxing, cost less, more room. But since your working as you go this may not be a good choice for you.

Main thing is to relax and enjoy. You want to create pleasant memories for your kids.
Good stuff! Thanks for the ideas. I don't mind public campgrounds from a working perspective as I carry my Internet with me. But, what I do worry about is size restrictions for being big rig friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstrahan View Post
Consider NE and East Oklahoma, can take you into western Arkansas, Branson Missouri. Many lakes, Ozarks. Don't know your plans but beautiful in the fall.
We're looping back around to Oklahoma and the mid-west in the spring of 2016. We just run out of warm-weather time in 2015 due to Florida commitments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_and_I View Post
There is a website of blogs of families doing just what you propose. You can find ideas and info from the people currently doing it. Also, you can post a link to your blog there so others can follow your journey.
FamiliesOnTheRoad.com
My wife found that site, too. Thanks for the link- we're checking it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breul View Post
Can't believe that no one from Wisconsin is helping you out with this. If you want to stay on the main interstate from Chicago to Minnesota, after your stop at Devils Lake State Park (reservations are needed) you can continue up I90 and just before you cross into Minnesota, turn north along the Mississippi and spend a day or 2 at Interstate State Park. It is right on the river and not far off of your planned trip.
You can cross the Mississippi there and continue on to the Mall of America. If it was me I would skip the hassle of the Dells area and the interstate altogether and instead drive up the "Great River Road" from Dubuque to Lacrosse WI. Beautiful drive up the river and several nice State Parks along the way. Just a thought.
Great information, thanks breul! I'm not sure where we'll end up in Wisconsin yet, but this is great info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli64 View Post
A couple stops DW and I found interesting.

Historic Auto Attractions, Roscoe, IL, a museum that has a little of everything. Worth the stop.

House on the Rock, Spring Green, WI, a strange place with a lot to see.

We have been trying to see the states 2 weeks at a time. Would love to do what you are planning. Will have to wait for retirement.
I'm very lucky that I work from home and have a very flexible employer. Their take is that as long as I get my work done, they don't really care where I physically am located. BUT- I still have a typical 9am-5pm, M-F schedule, so it puts a damper on how often we move around and how much sight-seeing time that we have. These stops look pretty neat, I'll have to see how they fit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Oh you suck. (Mumbled dripping with jealousy)

And I thought I was ambitious taking two weeks to go to Yellowstone and Colorado this summer. Good for you! While I work from home I couldn't get away with more than a few days working on the road.

I noticed you'll be 45 miles from me in July. When you get here let me know.
LOL, tis true. I do suck. Actually, I'm open to sight-seeing ideas from you for Atlanta. I'm pretty well drawing a blank for what's in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I guess the Sabre will be a Full Time rig then. From a 5er/TV perspective you should get sponsors for your adventure.Goodyear/Kraft Foods/FIAT/Geo Method etc...Sounds like fun! Maybe a HGTV Show about Stezers Great American Adventures..
No, no and more no- we aren't full timing. We're just extended camping. Sponsors would be fantastic- I'll tell you what, you set things up and I'll give you a cut of the profit. For the Geo Method, I'll mail you jars of samples...
Old 03-31-2015, 10:35 AM   #42
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
And sadly, I've crashed my trip plan on their site. I don't know if I have too many points, a bad address, or what- but it doesn't route between the points. That's really a shame- their interface (while a little crude) was exactly what I was looking for. I hope to hear back from them.
They got back to me and it turns out that one of my addresses (Yosemite) turned out to be the top of a mountain vs. on a road so it couldn't figure out directions between that point and the one before it. I picked a random campground in the area and I'm back in business!

Current Trip Route!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #43

Not sure where you are planning to stay at Little Rock. If coming I 30 east and going to I 40 west. YOU DO NOT WANT TO UNLESS 430 bypass. They have an overpass cut or tore down the left hand lane. You will be leaning towards the concrete barriers and its a curve.

Went over it a couple weeks ago with my father in 18 wheeler while getting my CDLs. He was not happy about it. Can use the crystal hill exit and and one mile and avoid the bridge.

I would want someone to let me know about a potential bad situation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1427830104.951958.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	72658

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:36 PM   #44
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Not sure where you are planning to stay at Little Rock. If coming I 30 east and going to I 40 west. YOU DO NOT WANT TO UNLESS 430 bypass. They have an overpass cut or tore down the left hand lane. You will be leaning towards the concrete barriers and its a curve.

Went over it a couple weeks ago with my father in 18 wheeler while getting my CDLs. He was not happy about it. Can use the crystal hill exit and and one mile and avoid the bridge.

I would want someone to let me know about a potential bad situation.
Thanks for the head's up. I'll check back in when we get closer to see how that area looks.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:32 PM   #45
Always Learning

Can anyone share any input/critique on the timing of some destinations? I have some concerns about the following:
  • Carson City, NV/Lake Tahoe in late October/early November

• Yosemite, CA/last week of November (on edit, I'd be staying at a Thousand Trails campground)
  • Flagstaff, AZ for a day-trip to the Grand Canyon (no hiking down in or anything)/middle December

• Colorado/starting to loop back into the mountains in mid-April
Old 03-31-2015, 04:37 PM   #46
Site Team

Doug, is that Little Rock you have mapped out in Arkansas. If so, I would suggest a detour down to Hot Springs and surrounding area if you have never been. A lot more fun than Little Rock.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:40 PM   #47
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Doug, is that Little Rock you have mapped out in Arkansas. If so, I would suggest a detour down to Hot Springs and surrounding area if you have never been. A lot more fun that Little Rock.
Yep, Little Rock. I seriously have no idea what is in Arkansas.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #48

Ependyday. Would you mind if I ask what you do for a living? You mention your ability to work a bit while traveling yet seem to be employed by someone. I think we all dream of doing what you are doing. I wonder how you are making that aspect of it work.

Thanks,

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #49
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Ependyday. Would you mind if I ask what you do for a living? You mention your ability to work a bit while traveling yet seem to be employed by someone. I think we all dream of doing what you are doing. I wonder how you are making that aspect of it work.

Thanks,

Vin.
Pron star. I make DVDs in the camper and ship them back to editors wherever I find a mail drop.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:53 PM   #50

Man o man,I can't believe your bypassing Kansas.You can't miss the big ball of twine in Cawker City.Seriously there is some great sites to see here in my home state.Have fun an make some Kodak moments
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #51

I've been to Grand Canyon in Dec, it can be chilly. Just the south side open. Flagstaff avg high/low in Dec 43/11

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #52
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Man o man,I can't believe your bypassing Kansas.You can't miss the big ball of twine in Cawker City.Seriously there is some great sites to see here in my home state.Have fun an make some Kodak moments
The map/route/trip isn't finished yet, but the basic plan is to loop back through Kansas and some others come spring/summer. I'll hit Kansas- just need ideas for what is there. All I know of is that my wife's aunt lives somewhere there.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:56 PM   #53
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli64 View Post
I've been to Grand Canyon in Dec, it can be chilly. Just the south side open. Flagstaff avg high/low in Dec 43/11
Thanks. That's a bit cooler than I was hoping for. Giving up a prime month in summer is killing me!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:02 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
I'll fix you up there. You are going to miss out if not going either more NW into the Ozarks or SW into Hot Springs or Petit Jean.

I'll send you some emails later on.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:10 PM   #55
Always Learning

1 year, cross country and back- Now or Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I'll fix you up there. You are going to miss out if not going either more NW into the Ozarks or SW into Hot Springs or Petit Jean.

I'll send you some emails later on.
The problem I'm having everywhere is the extremely limited time at each destination. While we are there for a week, we only really have 2-days for sightseeing. Mondays are to be our travel day to get from one location to the next and Tuesday-Friday, I have to work 10-hour days.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #56
Always Learning

Quote:

Thanks,

Vin.

Ok, I had my fun. I'm a computer programmer- specifically I develop web-based business applications. I have a normal, salaries, 9-5 job. For my first 7 years on the project, I worked full-time on-site. When the company lost the contract and the next contractor picked me up, their office is like 50-miles from my house across and it's horrific traffic, so they let me work from home full time. We have people in southwest Virginia, North Carolina, and most recently opened an office in Louisiana plus a multitude of people who work from their houses all over. About 4 years ago, I got our pop-up camper and worked from that. It worked well enough and set the precedence that I could get my work done working from "non-traditional" locations.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:33 PM   #57

Quote:
LOL, tis true. I do suck. Actually, I'm open to sight-seeing ideas from you for Atlanta. I'm pretty well drawing a blank for what's in the area.
Best CG near Atlanta is Stone Mountain Park. I haven't camped there yet but the facilities are reputedly very nice (I'll check and report to you, I've been wanting to spend a weekend there.) plus you're right there. Plenty to do, the aforementioned Stone Mountain, Six Flags on the other side of Atlanta, in Atlanta is the World of Coke, The High Museum, Oakland Cemetery if you like old cemeteries, the state capital tour is nice, Jonesboro south of town does a Return to Tara tour based off of Gone With the Wind, plenty of touristy old towns to visit, and the mountainous areas of north Ga are within reach.

Depends on how far you want to reach out from base camp.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:27 PM   #58

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Selling VCRS at Walmart in Little Rock....
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #59

Quote:
pron star. I make dvds in the camper and ship them back to editors wherever i find a mail drop.
i knew it!!!!

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:37 PM   #60
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Selling VCRS at Walmart in Little Rock....

I assume that's some quote from something...

Quote:
i knew it!!!!

So, wanna go "camping"?