Old 03-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

1 year, cross country and back- Now or Never

First things first- I need a witty name for this adventure! My last name is Setzer if that helps you.

I have interviewed 3 different property managers, have looked at online schooling and various curriculum and have an appointment to get some recommendations next week, and are on the verge of telling in-person family and friends. The last big hurdle is my putting in a request at work for a modified work-week. And, there are a few tidbits that I want to get for the RV before we take off. It seems like it is pretty official- we are going to take a year and tour the country a week at a time.
  • We are starting this with a vacation at Fort Wilderness and maybe another week or two in Florida before we actually get up and go.
  • Our plan is to move each Monday to our next location. I know from past experience that we can tolerate up to 600 interstate miles, but that is really pushing it.
  • I plan on largely ignoring the eastern seaboard because these can be done relatively easily from where we live now.
  • We want to avoid cold states when it is cold. (Which I'm failing at right now.)
  • Finding just 1 or 2 stops per state is proving to be downright terrible in some cases.
  • And, I'm finding that my knowledge of US social studies, history, and geography is pretty appalling.

I've started a spreadsheet of weeks and locations with adding some ideas for what is around. I started this just by playing around with Google Maps and point-to-point locations. I haven't actually drawn lines for the whole thing yet. But, I have a laminated 3' x 4' map waiting to be laid out on our dining room table where I'll have my way with it.

What I'm most interested is when we get to the end of the year- where will our heads be at? Will we want to come off of the road? Will we want to come to this home? Will we toy with the idea of moving???

Old 03-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #2

Living the dream....Make us all proud EDad!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiigDaddy View Post
Living the dream....Make us all proud EDad!
We'll see. The working a full time 9-5 during it is going to be tricky. That and figuring out how to see everything when we have 50-55 individual moves is going to be quite the challenge. Oh and avoiding cold.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #4

Wow! I'm A bit jealous. That'll be a journey to remember for sure!! If you get or come thru Nebraska, pm me so we can meet up, even if it's just for me buying your family lunch! . I'm sure you know this, but take lots of pictures and keep up all updated so we can live thru you. Maybe your wife will have to get on the forum so she can do daily updates
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
Wow! I'm A bit jealous. That'll be a journey to remember for sure!! If you get or come thru Nebraska, pm me so we can meet up, even if it's just for me buying your family lunch! . I'm sure you know this, but take lots of pictures and keep up all updated so we can live thru you. Maybe your wife will have to get on the forum so she can do daily updates
I may not be bright, but I'm no fool- she will NEVER sign onto this forum!

As of now, I seem to be dancing around Nebraska with my planning. I need to see what can be done about that.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

"Nebraska, The Good Life". I mean come on!!
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
"Nebraska, The Good Life". I mean come on!!
If it helps, I'm also seemingly excluding Kansas and Oklahoma so far.

I'm having a hard time finding a web site that lets me put in enough stops. Map quest does up to 26. I need something with 55-60.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
What I'm most interested is when we get to the end of the year- where will our heads be at? Will we want to come off of the road? Will we want to come to this home? Will we toy with the idea of moving???
IMHO time and what you experience during your travels will answer these questions. You are going to experience what most people can only dream of.

Link to pics:http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/Wi...?sort=4&page=1
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
IMHO time and what you experience during your travels will answer these questions. You are going to experience what most people can only dream of.

Thanks for the kind words, Wiscampsin!
Old 03-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #10

Mapping Itinerary

Try www.rvparky.com. We are planning a cross country trip in 2016 and I've used this. It allows you to see all the NP's, SP's, COE's and private CG's along your desired routes. Good luck.