Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #1

7,765 miles and we're home

Well, first of all, we'd like to once again thanks folks on this forum for their help!!! As one might expect, doing a nearly 8,000 mile trip through 23 states, is going to produce a few problems that this forum helped us with!

We live in Central Washington State and my wife and I have wanted to go to Maine for as long as we can remember so 2 years ago she started planning our trip.

Our goal was to try and use secondary roads and scenic byways. So, we started out on I-90 but once we hit Buffalo, we didn't see I-90 again until our way home where we got on it again at Buffalo.

We found the roads in Nebraska BRUTAL; Wyoming and Kansas had some rough spots as well, but boy, Nebraska... LOL, it claimed our 2 rear hubcaps, a burner on the stove "bounced" off, TV plug on the 12v TV up front, and I think I lost a dental filling in there somewhere!!

For the most part we got VERY lucky weather wise; massive thunder, lightening, HEAVY rain, occurred at night and we really didn't face difficult weather until we hit Cheyenne, WY on the way home and then we had some treacherous wind. We were doing 40 mpg on the freeway (no problem with traffic because there wasn't any!!!) The warning we kept getting was 60+ mph side winds (I know we should NOT have been out there) and suddenly my wife heard a noise and our slide topper was unrolling. The wind was hitting us broadside, then going up, and UN rolling the slide topper. We slowed to 20, it rolled back in and I'll save you the long version, but we eventually got to an exit to a gravel road, and I got our ladder out and with m/c straps and duct tape, secured it. We didn't build in a buffer to just sit it out like we SHOULD have, as I had doc appointments for a surgery (tomorrow) - anyway, that will fall under what to do different next time...

Overall, the trip was fantastic - our main objective was: Watkins Glen State Park in the finger lakes of NY, then Baseball HOF in Cooperstown NY, Booth Bay Harbor and Bar Harbor in Maine, then down to Plymouth, MA, before weaving our way through the Appalachian Mountains of Virginia and West Virginia as well as Kentucky.

We do not pull a toad, which would make a huge difference, but we do have a 2-person scooter that we hang on the back and the weather allowed us to use it "almost" as much as we needed. We thought we'd only need it for about 50 miles based on where we were staying and what we were after, but we ended up riding it 135 miles. LOL, we averaged 15.8 MPG going east, 14.5 mpg coming home and 97.6 mpg with the "Scoot"! It made our trip a LOT better, but it doesn't replace a small car for all the places we'd of liked to go.

Around Bar Harbor we used the free shuttle which actually takes you to a lot of places, but you have to allow for other stops = what might take 15 minutes in a car, can take 30-45 on a free shuttle bus. The other mistake was booking a campground at Bar Harbor that we THOUGHT had a free van ride to a park and ride 4 miles away where we'd catch the Bar Harbor free shuttle - problem is the campground stopped doing the free van service September 1st...….

Speaking of campgrounds, we had some diamonds and we had some TURDS. My wife thought she did plenty of research, looked at photos and read reviews, but some were just plain not what they portrayed themselves to be online and some were even better than we thought!

We were gone just a day or so under 5 weeks, we probably needed 6-7 weeks to do this trip the proper way. As said, a toad would have been a huge advantage. LOL, we took WAY TOO many clothes, as we underestimated the laundry facilities at so many places. We had upgraded our dinette foam (spendy as all get out) and what a HUGE difference it made - I mean seriously big difference. Our DISH Playmaker worked good all the way across the country - I never called DISH to change anything, I just plugged it in and took what we could!

We did everything in our power to avoid any and all tolls because we'd hear horror stories about RV's and tolls, but at one point we were suddenly at a toll area and had no choice so we went forward and it was absolutely a simple procedure. $1 for cars and $6.50 for us (lol, at this point we could care less about $6.50) but it was a wide lane, super nice toll person, and through we went!

I will "try" to add some pics to this post, but I'm unsure if I can?? The main part of this thread is to once again thank everyone for their help!!

Well, apparently I'm too stupid to attach a pic?? I've attached pics before, not sure what I'm doing wrong now... Maybe I'll try again in a week or two when I'm healed up...a little...
Old 10-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #2

Wow big trip and a real adventure good for you.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #3

Ya, LOL, it felt HUGE at times, but we miss the road already. We're both 63, tomorrow's surgery will make #14 (I'm just a defective human who breaks easily...) so it was one of those things that you just need to do it if it's something you really want to do! I'm always saying we all have a "shelf life" so we need to get out there and do what makes us happy before our life expires......of course this kind of thinking is partly responsible for those 14 surgeries!
Old 10-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #4

That is awesome and congrats on finally achieving the Maine goal!!!!!!!!!!!
LanNes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #5

Wow! Nice trip but fast! We want to go out West from Georgia. Plan to go next Spring/Summer. No hurry on our part for the trip total. Hopefully we can make it come to fruition. Both 66. Always scared of weather issues. God’s got it though!
patsylou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
We had upgraded our dinette foam (spendy as all get out) and what a HUGE difference it made - I mean seriously big difference.

It sounds like you had a great trip. The wind in Wyoming can get a bit tricky, but glad you made it through. I had to smile though when you say Central Washington. I lived in Western Washington and Eastern (Idaho border). Most Washingtonians refer to anything east of the Cascades as Eastern.

What did foam upgrade did you use? That is one of our next upgrades.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #7

"We found the roads in Nebraska BRUTAL; Wyoming and Kansas had some rough spots as well, but boy, Nebraska... LOL, it claimed our 2 rear hubcaps, a burner on the stove "bounced" off, TV plug on the 12v TV up front, and I think I lost a dental filling in there somewhere!!"

Must've come thru my neck of the woods. Lived in NE for all my life so far. Yep...know what ya mean about the roads. Stop at any sites in NE ? The Arch, Sterling Museum, Air Space Museum, our World Class Zoo in Omaha ?

Happy Travels from Eastern Nebraska / Northwest Missouri.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #8

What did foam upgrade did you use? That is one of our next upgrades.[/QUOTE]
X2 interested in foam upgrade.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #9

Congrats on your super trek! We have taken two "treks" also. A 7500 mi and a 7150 mi trek covering 14 states both times. We live in western NY and both trips headed out west. One to the north and one to the south. Both were 6 weeks long. Looking forward to our next "trek" in 2020. Good luck and keep those wheels rolling!
farmallm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
Sounds like a great trip. We just got back from a similar trip, starting in Oregon and making it all the way to Maine. Our trip ended up just over 8500 miles and we did it in just under 4 1/2 weeks. Too short of a time but that’s another story.

We also tried to stay on secondary roads when possible so we could see more of the country side and I’m glad we did. We talked with a couple from Pennsylvania and they suggested we stay off the toll road because of the exorbitant tolls but after taking a few toll roads we found the tolls to be reasonable.

We saw some incredible places and met many nice people on our trip. I’m ready to go again.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #11

I will get the exact foam number for those interested - I'm sorry, I've been SCRAMBLING to get things done around here before surgery, which is where I'm headed right now! I WILL reply just as soon as I can.

I will also take more time reading the other replies!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #12
Aging Junior Member

Nice trip info. Thanks for sharing. We’re in the middle of a trip n having similar experience. Epic.
Before this trip we got new foam for our cushions and they are fantastic.
The Foam Factory.
https://www.thefoamfactory.com/seatc...atcushion.html
Great customer service, very reasonably priced and excellent product. Highly recommended. ��
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff95814 View Post
Nice trip info. Thanks for sharing. We’re in the middle of a trip n having similar experience. Epic.
The Foam Factory.
Great customer service, very reasonably priced and excellent product. Highly recommended. ��
this is a great resource thanks for sharing. I just talked to them on the phone very nice conversation.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
The Foam Factory.
They're good people. I've ordered from them 3 or 4 times now.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
I will get the exact foam number for those interested - I'm sorry, I've been SCRAMBLING to get things done around here before surgery, which is where I'm headed right now! I WILL reply just as soon as I can.

I will also take more time reading the other replies!

Just hoping your surgery went well and you are on the mend.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

Old 10-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #16

Quote:
The Foam Factory.
We have been considering replacing the cushions on our u shaped dinette because they are so uncomfortable. Which grade cushions did you get?
Old 10-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #17

My apologies for lack of pics and how long it took me to get the foam number (it didn't take long to get it - it took me having te patience to type with one finger...

It's HR-55 foam which the upholstery guys said is fairly standard in nicer stuff, but there are a lot of different grades of that HR-55 foam) and he likes the "peach colored" foam best (no, you can't see the color, but the color has to do with which grade of HR-55 you're getting.

Two weeks since shouler surgery, had post op visit yesterday, and they took part of the sling off and scheduled me to start physical therapy next week... for at least 12 weeks. He said in about 6+ months I could have all restrictions taken off (keeping in mind I'm an old guy and not some major league pitcher or something!)

Good luck on any foam upgrades for those of you talking about it - we just LOVE our new foam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #18

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf