Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #21
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
Ive never heard of that here in ny.
Here in Texas, they will block registration/plates until paid. They will also send collection agencies.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:20 AM   #22

"A Cautionary Tale"

Tapanzee bridge, in NY. NY = $100 fine for each toll not paid. Mass turnpike (I90-I91 exchange).
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #23

Same in ny state if u are from ny state. Out of state never heard of them.blocking you from registering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Here in Texas, they will block registration/plates until paid. They will also send collection agencies.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:13 AM   #24

What I get from this cautionary tale is that you need to do your homework when using toll roads. You also need to arrange for your mail to be taken care of when on extended trips.

While many think this is a tale about a money grabbing scheme from an unfair toll system, I think this is a lack of action (for two months) and the late fees were deserved.

While we usually know we will be using a toll road ahead of time and make arrangements for paying, we occasionally come across an unexpected one. If there is no toll booth, the first thing we do is hop on the internet and see what we need to do. Haven't run across one yet that couldn't eventually be paid for online, over the phone, or at a service center on the toll road.

I'm sorry the OP had to evacuate for a hurricane but don't see that had anything to do with being charged a late fee.

And yes, I agree with other posters that it is a pain that you can't get one transponder to cover all the toll roads when travelling the east coast.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
.....big snip...
And yes, I agree with other posters that it is a pain that you can't get one transponder to cover all the toll roads when travelling the east coast.

Ezpass covers more states than it used to.
They are all supposed to get their act together eventually and one should work everywhere. It was actually supposed to happen before now but no joy yet...
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #26
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Florida also has the Toll By Plate system for people who do not have a toll transponder in their vehicle. There are signs on the toll roads, and at all entrance ramps, that you will be billed for the toll roads and they also state you will pay "an administrative fee" for using Toll By Plate. The system takes photos of your license plate to determine your name and address. Those bills come in the mail and added charges accrue when you don't pay them on time.

Road upkeep is funded with toll money. It's not a scam nor is it unfair, really, since the bottom line is that you did not pay a toll and you probably should have known that there would come a time to pay the piper for traveling on that road. My transponder works in other states, and when we travel, I research to find out whether or not it will work where we are going. When it will not, I have the option of purchasing a toll transponder online to be covered your whole trip. (there are also usually toll discounts when using transponders). Otherwise, you could always call the state's highway tolls office and pay your toll over the phone when you know you've traveled a toll road without paying a toll (as you did) and won't be home to get the bill to pay for it.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post
Florida also has the Toll By Plate system for people who do not have a toll transponder in their vehicle. There are signs on the toll roads, and at all entrance ramps, that you will be billed for the toll roads and they also state you will pay "an administrative fee" for using Toll By Plate. The system takes photos of your license plate to determine your name and address. Those bills come in the mail and added charges accrue when you don't pay them on time.

Road upkeep is funded with toll money. It's not a scam nor is it unfair, really, since the bottom line is that you did not pay a toll and you probably should have known that there would come a time to pay the piper for traveling on that road. My transponder works in other states, and when we travel, I research to find out whether or not it will work where we are going. When it will not, I have the option of purchasing a toll transponder online to be covered your whole trip. (there are also usually toll discounts when using transponders). Otherwise, you could always call the state's highway tolls office and pay your toll over the phone when you know you've traveled a toll road without paying a toll (as you did) and won't be home to get the bill to pay for it.
Its only unfair in a state like ny. Verizzano bridge is 15 bucks ezpass 17 no ezpass. Throgsneck and whitestone bridge round trip is 13 to 15bucks single axle. For double axles its about 20 extra. Nyc metro area rapes you with tolls and we have the worst roads and bridges.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #28

Quote:

Really it is a money making scam . We already pay taxes to do road up--keep .it's just a way to scam more money from you .only a very small portion of the money collected goes to road maintenance . the rest goes to employees and profit for the company . E470 in Colorado is that way no booths just pictures and bills in the mail . waste of money to pay for all this . and E470 is many times pretty empty compared to other hwys in the area but the roads used to avoid E470 are packed with the extra traffic caused by people not wanting to be extorted .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Just came across the PA, OH, IN, and IL tollways last week and saw similar signs (don't recall exactly which states had them, though; it was only 1 or 2). They all use license plate cameras so they all have the ability to bill your address.

Be aware that back east, there are a few toll bridges where they only collect a toll in one direction. They figure you are coming back, so they'll just collect a double toll once. If you only ever cross in one direction, they figure it evens out and similar folks going in the toll direction pick up the tab for the ones going the non-toll direction.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #30

"A Cautionary Tale"

We took a 4 month trip up to and thru PA, NY, Maine, Delware, etc. went through the toll booths and was charged for single axle and the car. Fees ranged from $8-$15. No big deal except, the roads are not seeing this money. Got home and received 2 toll notices both. From EZpass using cameras. One was for 4.18 and the other was 2.35. Something like 25 cents admin fee. I am thinking the camera only picked up the toad tag and not the RV tag. If this is true, no one is actually looking at the photos.
Oh, one toll attendant told me I was going too slow through his toll booth and I was holding up traffic. I looked him in the eye and stated, My Rig, My Speed, have a nice day.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #31
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
Same in ny state if u are from ny state. Out of state never heard of them.blocking you from registering.

Texas will send notice to other states requesting the state block but each state handles it their own way on the request.

2006 Durango HEMI

Old 12-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #32
Enjoying Life

I have the Toll-Tag from Texas, Sun Pass from Florida, and the E-Z pass for the big group in the east and midwest. Each has a prepaid and auto renew account(I pay no monthly fee on any of them)attached to them. I get the discounted rates for all and I can log in and check the charges when I want. Yes, the toll idea is not really fair but it is what it is and Texas DOT says many more are coming(and I suspect in other places too.)
I like the lower traffic on many of them and will gladly waste my money for that easier travel.

2006 Durango HEMI

Old 12-13-2018, 07:58 PM   #33

They legally can't waive the fee because the codified authority to collect tolls doesn't provide for exceptions. It's the worst design, but what can you expect from politicians and lawyers. The call center rep and their boss are just cogs in the wheel collecting paychecks with no actual discretion. Legally one state can not force another state to stop you from registering your vehicle without a compact or reciprocity which rarely exists even in neighboring states. I suspect there is no real enforcement beyond sending you threatening letters. That said, only you can decide if you're willing to throw money at the scam artists.
2017 KTM 500EXC-F
blackseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
We got hit with this same scam a couple of years ago crossing the same bridge. Crap like this is infuriating.

According to some of the documentation I read, they can possibly hold up the registration of your vehicle when you go to re-register.
Trust me.... you need to pay..... my $5 ticket kept escalating to the point of a bench warrant for my arrest- suburban Chicago. Never saw any notices, but no amount of tap dancing around it could convince the police to not “serve” the warrant. Lukily the local PD called me- at 11pm- and gave me the choice of coming to the police department with $85 or they would be happy to send a car...... lesson learned. When it comes to fines its pretty much carte blanc for the presiding authorities.
Speedjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 PM   #35

Sign up with post office for daily email with images of mail being delivered that day. Not fool-proof, does miss a few items but usually junk mail. We have kids pick up our mail from post office every couple weeks or if something that appears important comes. Post office mail hold is typically limited to 30 days but will extend if you have it picked up more frequently. Took 78 day trip out west last summer with no issues or nasty surprises.

Have had EZpass for over 20 years set to "recharge" another $25 when balance goes negative. Monitor charges online. Highest charge we've seen is $18 to cross Potomac River on US 301. We do avoid the I80 toll roads in Ohio, Indiana, etc. Prefer to avoid towing through Chicago so stay south on I70 or I40 or take non interstate highways a bit south of I80.
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Aisin 3.42 axle SRW LB CC pucks auto level 25 gal aux fuel tank towing 2016 Primetime Crusader 315RST Trailer Blocks, Lippert Correct Trac added, Goodyear Endurance tires Hawkshead TPM Good Sams GPS/trip planner
Days Camped: 2016 - 17: 2017 - 24: 2018 - 86: 2019 - 82
762vram2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #36

The interstate violaters compact allows one state to deny re-registering a vehicle or renewing a dl if you haven't payed fines for moving violations. But for not paying a toll i don't think they can. I do know that they cannot tow your vehicle for it. If they are they are violating the compact. If i were the couple that started this thread, i would appeal it to the state. This is what happens when they allow private companies to operate things that should be operated by the state.
RevVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:49 PM   #37

I bought a rig before heading to southern CA. Entered a toll road south of Los Angeles with signs advising to use right lane to enter toll plaza. Just before the exit which was around a corner, a sign said trucks and trailers only in right lane, so I moved over one (not towing on this trip), came around the corner to find only right lane exited. Cameras flashed all over the place. I called the toll folks the next day and was told that since I had only a temporary paper plate and no police stopped me, I was free to go without charge. Only time I ever won one. (Ask me about the parking ticket at the WW II museum in New Orleans. ;-()
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:57 AM   #38

Call back

Call back and ask for a supervisor, they have more power in leniency and forgiveness. Apologize and start by telling them it's going to be a long story of woe. Above all be polite. If that dosen't work ask how it can be appealed.
Wicked Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:45 AM   #39

Toll trols🤬

I-95 in NC is preparing yo put tolls on some sections of the road.
Blame more fuel effecient cars for loss of fuel tax revenue
Safe travels 👍
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskins View Post
Since you are in NC there is a road around Raleigh like that NC540. They send you the bill in the mail. If you don't pay they flag your tag renewal and you can't renew the license plates until you pay the tolls/fees/etc. It is a nice road with hardly anyone on it because no one wants to pay for it. Especially since the northern side I-540 was never toll. The people on the south side don't think it is fair and refuse to pay for it.
Here's the thing about Hwy540 in NC. It was originally State Hwy 147. Apparently the State had some kind of agreement with a private company that wanted to take this road private. Somehow with some political shenanigans, the private company got exclusive rights to that road and made it private.

Now its a toll road. I take it often. The toll comes in the mail and cameras take photos of your license plate as you drive. Its all automatic.

I'm mad that a private company was allowed to take over a State built road and then charge a toll. In their defense, the new company did upgrade the road, and its a good one. But what will stop this trend in America? We have one of the best road systems in the world. Why are we selling off parts of our infrastructure but by bit. Eventually, will we see our country sold off to the highest bidders?
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote