Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #21

I am still confused about your 6 volt battery. Are you running two 6 volt batteries wired in series or do you have one 12 volt battery that you are using?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I am still confused about your 6 volt battery. Are you running two 6 volt batteries wired in series or do you have one 12 volt battery that you are using?
I gave up on that answer! Youroo!!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo
I gave up on that answer! Youroo!!
The second battery is not connected to anything.
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Days Camped 2013 = 9 planned before April 1st
Local Ohio CGs - Punderson SP and West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #24

Hilltop RV is awesome! Carla took my call and Kirk, the service tech was waiting for me when I arrived.

Slide motor issue. Spacers that held the magnets in place broke free and jammed the motor which was just one of the problems. Voltage drop at the motor too. Dropped to 3 volts when pressing switch.

No motor means there is nothing to hold in the slide AND no manual crank option.

Kirk is creating a temp fix to get us back on the road but the motor must be replaced and they have none in stock.

I am going to look for another dealer that is on our way to glacier and call ahead and ensure they have a motor when we arrive.

Worst case now is we keep the slide in for the next couple nights until we find a motor on our way.

BTW there is a 30 amp breaker on the underside of the front left corner of the camper. Kirk first thought this breaker was bad and that was where we inserted a self resetting breaker.

Learned a lot. Can't wait to see what adventures lay ahead.
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #25

If the Motor holds the slide in you need to use a brace to keep it in whilst you are driving!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels
If the Motor holds the slide in you need to use a brace to keep it in whilst you are driving!
Nigel's, The senior tech at Hilltop RV shared something that made sense. The brace is to apply tension at the top of the slide. The tension is supposed to keep the top of the slide close to the side wall to prevent water leaks. It is not intended to prevent the slide from sliding out.

The slide motor has gears that are required for both electric and manual use. If the motor seizes as mine did, the manual crank can become totally inoperable too. Fortunately I was able to crank it in before creating the seizing situation which the tech and I experienced at the dealer.

The tech did a great job isolating power loss directly at the motor. He also was creative in his analysis of the motor and found the broken spacers that prevented the motor from functioning.

Hope this additional detail helps others in the future.
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #27

Day 3 Munising Mi to Bemidji, MN 480 miles 8.4 mpg

After a morning stop at Hilltop RV to address our power slide motor issue, we finally got on the road at about 1:00 pm and almost got 500 miles under our wheels.

The 2004 f150 super crew 5.4l is towing the trailer very well and the route we took is really a nice, stress free drive. We took 28 across Michigan and eventually connected to route 2. Traffic has been very light. The Duluth/Superior area is experiencing some construction and appears to have had some road damage that caused a couple mile detour but even these things did not create any backups.

We called ahead and landed a site at the Royal Oaks RV park. It's a very small, no nonsense Good Sam park just off the interchange on Route 28. The place is clean and the sites are flat, but as expected, road noise was the background noise instead of the call of the wild.

We tried our quick set up approach last night and it worked great. We took advantage of our 16" shank that enables us to open the tail gate to get stuff out of the bed of the truck and also enables us to drop the front bunk of the 233s and just left the trailer hitched to the truck. The kids opted to share a bunk which reduced the need to set up the third bed and we opted to keep the slide in to reduce the risk of having another slide issue before we get close to a major town. The kids ran around and placed the leveling blocks and I dropped the stabilizer jacks and we were set up in literally 10 minutes. This approach will enable us to get up and out early this morning.

The 233s is working out really well for us. We really enjoy eating our own food and haven't stopped at a fast food chain yet (a big feat when traveling with kids). My youngest last night was commenting on how she didn't want to stop for dinner on the road and wanted to have DW's food when we got to the camp site.

We have traditionally stayed in hotels and condos on our previous family trips and paid usually over $100 a night for lodging and averaged $20 - $50 for every meal so we are really liking the difference the camper makes on our wallets. Yes, there is an initial cash outlay for the 233s, but the savings on this single trip alone will cover my first 2 years of payments so we will soon be coming out ahead.

Our family is enjoying playing "would you rather", the alphabet road sign game, and seaching for license plates while traveling and "apples to apples" at the camp site. We got rid of cable/satellite at home 2 years ago (best decision made) so our tv in the 233s has never been turned on. Our kids are devouring books on their kindle fire and iPod touches. They both know how to check out ebooks from our local library so they are never without something to read.

We plan on breaking camp at about 8 am this morning. Our destination, Teddy Roosevelt Natl Park. The kids are seeking a campground that has a pool as we plan on staying two nights so we can do some hiking. If you have a favorite campground in the area, please share.

That's all for now. Until tomorrow...
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #28
camping

looks like your having a great time. we are going to stay at Munising Tourist Park in August (thanks for the Pics) and spend some time at pictured rocks.
stay safe and happy travels - look forward to following your adventure!!

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #29

Adventures continue after 3 days in Teddy R Natl Park. I will post more later as the park was awesome.

Dealing with this situation that greeted me when we arrived at the Great Falls, Montana KOA. Some of you may also recall I had the same issue with the fridge door panel twice before this trip. This is the first time for the freezer panel to fall off.

Oh, also greeted with a slide that won't open (the motor repairs didn't work.

Kids were drawn to this KOA for its one of a kind water park.... Unfortunately, the water park is geared for kids under 5 and it is only 1 1/2 feet deep.

I am now on an adventure for some adult beverages!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1267049744.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	17067  
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #30

I can not stand not knowing.....the spare battery.....6volt or 6 cells? That would make it a 12 volt battery...or is it 3 cells only?

It seems strange that the old pop up would have all 6 volt electrical pieces vs the much more standard 12 volt pieces.

Inquiring mind want to know.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote