Old 07-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #31

I tip my hat to you sir. You are handling these issues with grace and humor. I think more than one adult beverage is in order.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman
I tip my hat to you sir. You are handling these issues with grace and humor. I think more than one adult beverage is in order.
Thx Oakman. This has been my life long dream and to finally have the opportunity to share it with my wife and kids is beyond anything I hoped for.

We stayed in the North Unit's Juniper campground for 2 nights. $10 a night. Our site was site 11 and it was in a clearing with amazing views and wide open spaces.

We were greeted Wed. Morning by a herd of 30 bison that were literally 15 feet from our Roo. The male bison was huge! They stayed in the meadow by our site for about 45 minutes before moving on. The ranger stated that it was rutting season and that this was only the second time all year that they came close to the campground. The campground was less than 1/3 full. This park and cg should be on everyone's list if you like peace and quiet and almost a whole park to yourself.

We took a 1 1/2 hike up to a prairie dog town. The kids loved it and ran around triggering the dogs to stand up and "call" each other.

We took highway 2 across from superior WI. This is a great drive and we went miles without seeing any other vehicles. I never thought that 500 miles on a 2 lane road with an occasional passing lane could be so enjoyable.

More news to follow. I found a wonderful vintage of a 2.99 cardboard container of Vendange Pinot Gregio at the KOA store.

After 3 days of no showers, the 1 1/2 foot pool is pretty inviting. The back of Rooby says it all.

We have had so many adventures on this trip and we are only 6 days into it. Wait until you read about my 500 mile drive on route 200 from Watford city ND to Great Falls, Montana. If you haven't read Herk's packing list yet, maybe my adventures will convince you that it is worth it to read it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2711856744.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	17069   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3256104484.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	17070   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4155555398.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	17071   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1498164840.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	17072   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-779057013.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	17073  

Name:	image-3551247093.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	17074  

Days Camped 2012 = 42
Days Camped 2013 = 9 planned before April 1st
Local Ohio CGs - Punderson SP and West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #33

[QUOTE=4kmprs

After 3 days of no showers, the 1 1/2 foot pool is pretty inviting.

[B]TMI[/B]!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #34

"The North America Oil Boom" or how cracking changes our landscape.

Our drive across 2 was wonderful until about an hour outside of Williston, ND. This was where we encountered tons of trucks and "RV parks" by the dozens alongside the road. The plywood painted signs stated "RV park" but they were nothing more than a bull dozed field with 50 to 100 campers squeezed in side by side. The oil boom has created a employment and housing shortage and the opportunists are here in full force.

My heart goes out to the locals who are seeing this gorgeous part of our country changed for ever. Prices at the local Walmart were 20% higher and selections were definitely targeted towards the drillers. Ruts were inches deep in the road as it takes over 2,000 trucks to set up 1 new well.

I could not wait to get through this town! It reminded me of what the wild westing have been like during the gold rush. A few people making out like bandits on the backs of hard working people who are trying to make a living.

I can only imagine what this area will be like once the wells are built and operational and the manpower requires to maintain the wells drops to just a very small fraction of the people who are needed today.

We deliberately avoided williston today as we headed over to great falls because we couldn't bear to see how this area is being changed for ever.

I would take a wind farm or solar arrays any day over what unknowns lay ahead for fracking. We are facing this dilemma in Ohio. We are experiencing earth quakes and tremors in areas by new fracking sites where they never occurred before. and after seeing what is happening in ND, I will raising my voice in opposition when I return.
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY
I can not stand not knowing.....the spare battery.....6volt or 6 cells? That would make it a 12 volt battery...or is it 3 cells only?

It seems strange that the old pop up would have all 6 volt electrical pieces vs the much more standard 12 volt pieces.

Inquiring mind want to know.
Here's the battery that the dealer pulled out of my used 625d when I traded it in for the Roo 233s.

Again, I threw it in the bed of my truck along with a bunch of misc things I didn't think I would need, but might come in handy in an emergency.

This battery was never in use with the Roo 233s.

The slide motor issue was tied to the spacer that holds the magnets in place. The tech removed the spacer that got jammed and thought the glued in magnets would stay in place. When I tried to extend it after he "fixed" it, I heard and felt a very loud ratcheting sound when I tried to extend it. I stopped immediately and retracted it. We will love with it "in" for the remained of our trip and get it repaired when we return home in 2 more weeks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1108472868.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	17083  
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Old 07-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #36

[QUOTE=4kmprs;228361]Here's the battery that the dealer pulled out of my used 625d when I traded it in for the Roo 233s.

Again, I threw it in the bed of my truck along with a bunch of misc things I didn't think I would need, but might come in handy in an emergency.

This battery was never in use with the Roo 233s.

The slide motor issue was tied to the spacer that holds the magnets in place. The tech removed the spacer that got jammed and thought the glued in magnets would stay in place. When I tried to extend it after he "fixed" it, I heard and felt a very loud ratcheting sound when I tried to extend it. I stopped immediately and retracted it. We will love with it "in" for the remained of our trip and get it repaired when we return home in 2 more weeks[/QUO

Just looked.....that is a 12 volt battery.....6 cells. Hope that answers a lot of questions.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #37

TRNP North Dakota to Great Falls, Montana "Primary Highway 200" 420 miles, 8 mpg

i thought traveling on hoghway 2 was nice until we drove over 400 miles today on Highway 200. this 2 lane road created the never ending "wow" factor throughout the day as each bend and each hill brought new majestic views of Montana's rolling countrysde.

our adventure began today when we left the park with 1/2 a half tank of gas. we thought we had more than enough fuel to make it a gas station once we got out of North Dakota. we soon found the rolling hills was playing havoc with our mileage and we were alerted to our trip computer stating we had 50 miles of fuel left but over 65 miles to our destination. we just entered the North Dakota Grasslands National Area and had not seen another car, truck or building for miles.

my trip computer kept alerting me in 10 mile increments while my kids provided their own color commentary as well.

i began to scout out oil wells and country raods and started thinking about what i would ake in a ack pack in this "no cell phone coverage zone".

when i got to about15 miles remaining, i found a place to pull over and got out my red plastic 5 gallon gas can. i had not planned on bringing it as i figured we would always be within a relatively short distance of a gas station, but i threw it in at the last minute with just about 1 1/2 gallons of fuel in it. i grabbed the can, drained it in the trucks fuel tank and turned the ignition only to find the needle didnt move and the miles remaining stayed the same. i herded the family into the truck and we set off to Sydney Montana.

we finally limped into the gas station and i promptly filled the tank with over 27 gallons of fuel (biggest fill up for me ever).

i then quickly filled up the 5 gallon can and vowed i would never leave for a trip without the full can with me ever again,

so glad we made it safely to our destination
Days Camped 2012 = 42
Old 07-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #38

My previous truck was a ĺ ton Dodge with an 8 liter V10 gas engine. On a good day I could average 6 miles to a gallon when towing our Wildcat fifth wheel. On a trip in Colorado in 2007 I ran low on fuel and was getting close to panic mode when we finally came upon two filling stations. One had a canopy over the pumps that was too low for me to fit under with the fifth wheel, the other was a big station with plenty of room. Unfortunately I was informed at the bigger station that they were out of fuel. I ended up unhitching from the trailer on a large lot behind the station and driving back to the smaller station with the low canopy for fuel.

Lessons learned that day: Carry extra fuel when traveling in the Mountain States. Don’t count on being able to fit under gas canopies at older stations. Don’t count on all filling stations having gasoline. Start looking for places to fill up when the gas gauge shows just under half a tank.

It sounds like you’re having a great trip. I’m enjoying your reports.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #39

I love reading this. I would have lost my mind already. You're a real trooper.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #40

Our first KOA has turned out much better than originally thought. Don't know if it was the fine wine but we ended up having a great evening. Howard's Pizza delivered to our camp site (kids were craving pizza).

The kids immediately met many new friends, many from Alberta and other points north.

Wifi access is nice, but viewing my prior posts this am on my laptop showed me how bad my typing/spelling was via my iphone. Sorry for the misspelled words in my previous posts.

This Great Falls KOA has pencil thin sites. Even if our slide worked, we would not have been able to extend it. I was amazed to see 5vrs and Class As pulling into them. Even though the sites were tight, noise was kept to a minimum and my concerns about being over powered with camp fire smoke was not an issue after all.

A really nice couple has been singing country, folk, and blue grass music nightly at this KOA for 23 years. A small gathering joined them in the camp kitchen. The husband was the quick wit and his wife was a perfect side kick. The jokes and stories were ones we heard hundreds of times before, but they were still enjoyable. Fiddles, banjos and guitars were passed between their hands throughout the evening and they greeted the returning guests who either saw them the previous nights or during one of their previous trips to the campsite years ago as old friends.

Music is such a wonderful way to connect others. "Rocky Top" got a smile out of everyone regardless of where they were from. Our 2,000 mile trip was the farthest of the group that was gathered last night.

This KOA is also our first FULL HOOK UP experience. We never got a chance to try out the plumbing prior to our trip and this was the one thing that was keeping me up at night. Turns out I had nothing to worry about....except being 6'3" and trying to use the shower. Thankfully they put a skylight in! Hot water worked fine and I filled and drained my tanks a couple times along with connecting the Roo up to city water.

The downside to this is that DW will probably never want to stay at another non power/non water site again. She loved being able to wash the dishes in the sink and the whole family loved not having to trudge to the common shower house.

Back to Herk's famous list. My trip across Highway 200 reminded me that we should always have a place for everything and ensure that things are put back in the same place before we depart. We did our quick set up last night and kept the camper connected to the truck. This wasn't our desire though. It was because I didn't follow Herk's rule.

I heard a clanging noise followed by screams from the kids "What was that" while cresting a ridge on a narrow section of route 200. I looked in my side view mirror and saw the metal tube that is used to secure the chains of my WDH bouncing and rolling down the road. Turns out that I set it on top of the hitch by the electric jack as I was getting set up and forgot to put it away. Unfortunately, there was no berm to pull off the side of the road so I kept driving in hopes of finding a place to turn around. After about 15 miles, we made the decision to leave it where it fell and continued on our way.

There are two RV stores on 10th street right by the KOA so we will swing by them on our way to our next destination and see if we can get quick fixes for the freezer door and the WDH pipe.

Oh yea, DW just reserved 3 more nights at a KOA just outside of Glacier right by the park entrance and Going To The Sun Road. YES, they are Full Hook Ups too.

Days Camped 2012 = 42