Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #41

Excellent write up, each day I look forward to the next episode

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #42

If you plan on traveling through norther Idaho or Washington let me know we live in Eastern Washington and know some very nice campgrounds to stay at and places to see and do!
Jamisonhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #43

Love your posts. Look forward to each new one. Be safe and HAVE FUN.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #44
Adventurer

We arrived at West Glacier KOA on route 89 about 4:00 pm. We opted for route 89 all the way from Great Falls instead of Route 15 and we were once again treated to another fantastic drive. It was an easy 215 mile trip and we averaged 9.5 mpg today. This KOA is amazing! We somehow got reservations on Thursday night for 2 nights (Fri. and Sat.) in one of the new patio spots that comes with a table with umbrella and six padded chairs, a full size gas grill amd a fire ring with benches. The kids were in the pool about 15 min after arriving while DW and I set up camp.

Our Roo 233s and our F150 Super Crew are caked in mud after about 2,300 miles. we pulled up to our "patio" site between 2 Prevost buses, one towing a matching 12 ft tall 20ft toy trailer and the other towing a new Range Rover. The longer of the two is 70 ft. The looks we got made us feel like the Beverly Hillbillies. the broken slide and broken freezer door complements the image real well.

Turns out it is buses and bike week and 60 of these big rigs along with their toys will be taking over the camp on Sunday. i thought stepping up to the hybrid was huge, but i cant imaging driving one of the buses around with a trailer behind it. Its fun to dream though and I heard that earning your second million dollars is easier than earning your first so i just decided to skip the first and work on the second.

Our trip on 89 brought us through the East entrance, across Maria's pass (Continental Divide) at 5,200 to West Glacier. we descended about 2,000 ft crossing the divide so it will be an interesting return trip. We chose the west side because we plan on driving the Going To The Sun Road first thing tomorrow. Our girls also want to take a couple hour horse back trip so we will try to squeeze one in if there are any spots open.

Full hook up sites are like a bad drug. Now that I crossed over to the dark side and am livin in the lap of luxury, it may be hard to return to simpler, more humble surroundings ilke the unimproved national park camp grounds.

We are still taking each day one at a time and we are really enjoying no set schedules. As a IT Project Manager, i questioned if I followed DW's lead and made no formal travel schedule but after living this life for 7 days, I must say i am a convert. Taking roads less traveled fits in well as i dont have preconceived ideas as to how long each route will take.

Kids tried to pick up a hdtv signal to watch the opening ceremonies but no dice. On the other hand, the two Prevosts had their automated satellite dishes searching for the signal and had it up on one of their many tvs in minutes. wonder if they will notice a couple extra kids hiding in the corners watching tv with them tonight.

So thankful to have another 2 whole weeks on this journey to enjoy with my family.

Glad others our enjoying my ramblings and thanks for the kind words.
Local Ohio CGs - West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #45
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamisonhouse
If you plan on traveling through norther Idaho or Washington let me know we live in Eastern Washington and know some very nice campgrounds to stay at and places to see and do!
Jamisonhouse, Thanks for your offer. although our girls would love to add another state to our RV map (we only post stickers when we camp in the state. Drive Thrus don't count), we plan on heading south to Yellowstone after a couple days so Glacier is the western most destination for this trip.

Should you (or anyone else) find yourself in the Cleveland, Ohio area, send a message and i can connect you to a couple nice parks and activities in the area.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #46

On your way to Yellowstone stop off at Deer Lodge it has several museums one of which is an infamous prison that had the prisoners taking over the prison which ended in a big shoot out, very interesting included in that one is a car museum, awsome. In the main street there are several other museums, all can be done on one cumulative ticket bought at the prison, well worth a vist.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Old 07-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #47
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels
On your way to Yellowstone stop off at Deer Lodge it has several museums one of which is an infamous prison that had the prisoners taking over the prison which ended in a big shoot out, very interesting included in that one is a car museum, awsome. In the main street there are several other museums, all can be done on one cumulative ticket bought at the prison, well worth a vist.

This sounds like a "must see". Thanks

Had another adventure with Rooby last night. A severe thunderstorm with 1 inch hail came through around 11:30. Haven't ventured outside yet, but the lightning and thunder show gave our kids a really good scare.

Also, the laminate shower walls are pulling away from the walls and the small square slider on the screen door somehow broke into three pieces when I closed it last night. (duct tape fix until we get home)

We saw tips to put a pizza stone in the oven for better heat distribution. Our first batch of cinnamon rolls turned out good, but our pizza stone shattered after 15 yrs of use so we now have 3 pieces of a pizza stone to help distribute the heat.

Fortunately these items are all very minor. Now off to see if I got any hail damage
Old 07-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #48

It's good to get all the niggly things identified on your shakedown trip.........but don't shake the rig sooooooo hard..........do it gently

Have a great day in Glacier, when we were there in September last year they were fixing the road near the top which caused some delays, I hope that is finished now.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #49

Hey where' our update

Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
Hey where' our update
Hopefully there isn't anything wrong. I'm guessing they are in an area without WiFi or cell service. The mountain states are funny that way.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
It's good to get all the niggly things identified on your shakedown trip.........but don't shake the rig sooooooo hard..........do it gently

Have a great day in Glacier, when we were there in September last year they were fixing the road near the top which caused some delays, I hope that is finished now.

May not have finished the road yet!

Or he may have gotten de-motivated to continue the story.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #52
Adventurer

Hi all, I have wanted to post updates, but coverage has been very spotty. Heading to Cody Wyoming today and hope to post some highlights of the last few days at Glacier and Yellowstone once we arrive there.

It continues to best the best trip ever!

Here's some pics that hopefully will come through before I lose signal again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3206276219.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	17377   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3219041555.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	17378   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2875678053.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	17379   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-955298496.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	17380   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4049270309.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	17381  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4273944801.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	17382   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3392954742.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	17383  
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Nice pics Kevin and keep up the great updates.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #54

Great to hear from you, seems like you are having an awsome time, keep posting

Old 08-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #55

Thanks for your posts about your trip. A couple comments:

On your 3rd post: I have that same Ruff's sticker on my RV! They have done a good job servicing my trailer.

Regarding your AC Meter. I have that same one and have found it to be unreliable. My FIL is an electrician and brought a much better meter over when I had concerns that my voltage was reading low and it was running about 6 volts lower than the true number. I confirmed this with other meters. I have now purchased a Progressive Industries portable EMS and trust that it is doing it's job monitoring the voltage in the camper.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #56
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant
Thanks for your posts about your trip. A couple comments:

On your 3rd post: I have that same Ruff's sticker on my RV! They have done a good job servicing my trailer.

Regarding your AC Meter. I have that same one and have found it to be unreliable. My FIL is an electrician and brought a much better meter over when I had concerns that my voltage was reading low and it was running about 6 volts lower than the true number. I confirmed this with other meters. I have now purchased a Progressive Industries portable EMS and trust that it is doing it's job monitoring the voltage in the camper.
Ruffs has done well with us too. I must say that I can't wait to get the power slide fixed when we get back. Its getting a bit cozy with it in all the time.

Thx for the tip re: volt meters. I will check the other brands out when I return as well.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #57
Stay Classy San Diego

Your photos are amazing. That one with the stairs is crazy! Did you go all the way to the top?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #58

I hope (4kmprs) isnt stuck in (Roobys) broken slide. He was on the site 8/20/2012 but no Post. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote