Old 08-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #11

DW and I are for sure going next year. I plan to leave NC around the middle of April, head for Yellowstone and then Glacier and hope to cross the border the middle of May or a little before

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #12
Olemax

Alaska

Blackrock, please accept our condolences.

We camped Alaska last August. This was the best trip ever, and don't expect to see anything better. We're still working, so due to schedule constraints, we flew to Anchorage and rented a Class C from one of the many good rental outfits there. We covered most of the major areas accessible by paved highways as far north as Fairbanks, south to Homer and Whittier in ten days. We were in Denali on a rare, totally clear day, so witnessed the splendor of the entire mountain from the Eilson visitor center.

We can't wait to go back with our own rig, and stay all summer, maybe longer. In short, if you can get to Alaska, do it. It will be the time of your life.

olemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #13

Where is the best source of information to plan a trip to Alaska?
Days Camped 2016 80

nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
DW and I are for sure going next year. I plan to leave NC around the middle of April, head for Yellowstone and then Glacier and hope to cross the border the middle of May or a little before
Spring in the Rockies is mid-May to mid-June, so plan accordingly!

There are no campgrounds inside Yellowstone Park that will be open before May 6, 2017 and some will not open until Memorial Day weekend. The campground at Mammoth Hot Springs (at the north entrance to the park) is open all year, but it is 52 miles and at least 1.5 hours (depending on traffic) from there to Old Faithful. Keep in mind that Yellowstone is nearly the size of Connecticut and the strictly enforced speed limits range from 35 to 45 mph.

The Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier NP never opens before mid-June. Water is turned on (in early May) at only one Glacier campground before Memorial Day and some Glacier campgrounds do not open until July 1.

Forest Service campgrounds in the Colorado/Wyoming Rockies don't open until mid-May. And this year we had snow in Denver and along I-25 on the plains and along I-70 in the mountains on May 1.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrawers View Post
The Milepost. Nothing else even comes close--maps, road logs based on mile markers, red "cautions" to highlight construction zones, fuel stops, campgrounds, etc. It even includes road logs for the major access routes to get to and from the Alaska Highway and all the roads you can access from the main highway system within Alaska.

And now you can access it from your cell phone--only problem is the roads of much of western Canada and Alaska don't have cell service.

The Website is https://www.themilepost.com/highway-...alaska-highway.

2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Old 08-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #16

So sorry for your loss, but the trip sounds super impressive. prayers
Old 08-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #17
Olemax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrawers View Post
Milepost: as already mentioned. Suggest ordering a new hardcopy edition just prior to your trip, since businesses change periodically, and cell service is not always reliable.

Another good resource is "Travelers Guide to Alaska Camping" by Mike and Terri Church.

Happy Camping
olemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #18

Condolences for your loss.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 08-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemax View Post
Another good resource is "Travelers Guide to Alaska Camping" by Mike and Terri Church.
Good resource, but not revised every year. The newest edition of the Church book shown on Amazon was published 1/31/14, so it will be 3 years old when you go unless a new edition comes out before then.

As suggested, The Milepost is updated every year. "Borrow" a used one from a friend to begin planning your trip, then get the newest edition from Amazon when it is published (I think in March of each year).

Old 08-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #20

Just got back from Alaska. Rented a class C and toured for two weeks. Great trip but next time we will take the fiver. Nothing like your own rig.
I used Milepost and an App called appropriately "Alaska App" on the trip and found both very helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums