Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,201
Thanks for all the suggestions. Some of the apps mentioned came preinstalled on the smartphone. I’ve been looking into the apps everyone suggested and I think the ones that will be helpful to me while on the road are:

Big Truck Stops
Google Earth
Gas Buddy
Micro Spirit Level (the compass function sucks)
Radar Now
Weather Bug
RV Parky
Wi-Fi Finder
Forest River Forum
__________________

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
Member
 
vizsla owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 86
Depending on your data plan, I still have unlimited on my phone. So I have downloaded the full version of FoxFi. It makes my phone a hotspot without having to pay the cell company for the added benefit.

Now we barely get out of the driveway and the kids are asking if I can turn it on. It can handle 4 ipads searching the net even with 1 or 2 on youtube.
__________________

__________________
03 Forest River Salem LE Travel Trailer 26BHSS
'12 Chevy Suburban w/ Heavy Tow Pkg
4 kids: G13, G12, G10, B6
2 Vizsla's Mizuno & Zeno, 1 Weimaraner Kayda

2013 Nights Camped 7
vizsla owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
JDWeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the desert
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizsla owner View Post
Depending on your data plan, I still have unlimited on my phone. So I have downloaded the full version of FoxFi. It makes my phone a hotspot without having to pay the cell company for the added benefit.

Now we barely get out of the driveway and the kids are asking if I can turn it on. It can handle 4 ipads searching the net even with 1 or 2 on youtube.
Is that an iPhone app or an Android app? I looked on the iTunes app store and did not find it. That is an app I would be interested in. Would be nice to be able to do this without jail-breaking the iPhone.
__________________
TV, 2000 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad cab short bed, Cummins 5.9, Edge Comp, Gauges.
5ver, 2011 Palamino Sabre 31 RETS.
JDWeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWeir View Post

Is that an iPhone app or an Android app? I looked on the iTunes app store and did not find it. That is an app I would be interested in. Would be nice to be able to do this without jail-breaking the iPhone.
That's an Android app. The only way to do it with an iPhone is to jailbreak it or pony up the dough.

We just switched to AT&T's "shared data" plan and the iPhone hotspot is now included.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
JDWeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the desert
Posts: 149
Thanks ependydad, that is what I thought. I was jail broke for a while, but after the lastest ios update, I have not redone the jail break. I don't need the hotspot very often, but it would be nice to use it once in a while.
__________________
TV, 2000 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad cab short bed, Cummins 5.9, Edge Comp, Gauges.
5ver, 2011 Palamino Sabre 31 RETS.
JDWeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,773
I'm just not a fan of jailbreaking my phone. I'm a computer guy (web developer/programmer), but not a tinker-er with gadgets. My buddy would show me all of the great things he could do with his jailbroken phone. BUT then would tell me he has to re-jailbreak it after each update and he can't do this or that.

If you do re-jailbreak your phone, there is an app in Cydia for making your phone a hotspot.

I like this mobile sharing plan (I think- I just started it last week). I can add a dedicated hotspot device for $20/month (for when my mother-in-law wants to use internet and I'm not at the camper) or even my iPad for $10/month so that I don't have to leech off of my iPhone with it.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
camper1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 778
Besides what others have side:

xclinometer- I level me rv with it works great
the weather channel
usa rest areas
rv park finder
camp compass
pilot
funny mouth- for laughs
maps
gas buddy
local- find stuff to do and where to eat
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
QCCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad
I like this mobile sharing plan (I think- I just started it last week).
X2. Been on a sharing plan for about 6 months now. It is great and allows both my wife and I to use our phones as hot spots when we need it. Of course you do have to keep an eye on the amount of data you use given that most of the carriers don't offer unlimited in the sharing plans. However if you set your phones to connect to a wifi network when available you greatly reduce your data consumption.

If you do enable a hot spot from your phone be sure to secure your network vs. leaving it wide open. Don't want strangers jumping on your hotspot and taking your data (or worse) either.
__________________
Jack of all trades - Master of none
2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2014 Sabre 36QBOK
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
JDWeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the desert
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm just not a fan of jailbreaking my phone. I'm a computer guy (web developer/programmer), but not a tinker-er with gadgets. My buddy would show me all of the great things he could do with his jailbroken phone. BUT then would tell me he has to re-jailbreak it after each update and he can't do this or that.

If you do re-jailbreak your phone, there is an app in Cydia for making your phone a hotspot.

I like this mobile sharing plan (I think- I just started it last week). I can add a dedicated hotspot device for $20/month (for when my mother-in-law wants to use internet and I'm not at the camper) or even my iPad for $10/month so that I don't have to leech off of my iPhone with it.
I agree, I was not thriled to jail break the phone, but I had a need for a short time for it to be a hotspot. When I got my iPhone, the unlimited data plan was REQUIRED and it would be nice to be able to use that unlimited data. Unfortunately, when I enable the hotspot on my phone through the carrier (Verizon) it cost $20 per month PLUS another data plan, not the unlimited one I HAD to have when I first got my phone. Oh well, I have looked into the data sharing plan with a hotspot and may have to go to that sometime in the future.
__________________
TV, 2000 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad cab short bed, Cummins 5.9, Edge Comp, Gauges.
5ver, 2011 Palamino Sabre 31 RETS.
JDWeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southeast CT
Posts: 30
Allstays Camp and RV

Good for finding campgrounds nearby. Has links to rvparkreviews.com and tripadvisor.com. You can filter by what type of campground you want - public, private, truck stops, Wal-Marts, etc.
__________________

__________________
Peggy L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.