Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #1
GT777

Arches National Park, Utah

Has anyone driven their motorhome through Arches National Park? If so, can much be seen without parking/pulling off the road?
Thanks & Safe Travels
GT777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #2

We were just there in June. We have been there several times. We didn't take our coach into the park (we rented a Jeep) but many people do. You can see a lot just driving in and out, but there is usually places for RV parking. Late season should not be a problem. Enjoy there is a LOT to see. If you like to hike there is a great hike called Devils Garden it's a must do if you like to hike and there is rv parking.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
GT777

Thanks a lot. We are looking forward to visiting tomorrow.
GT777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:16 AM   #4

I was there last in mid-sept. I saw some MH in the park. Not always a lot of room to park. It was still pretty busy. With this weekend being a holiday be prepared to having a lot of traffic. Not trying to be discouraging, just trying to help

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #5

Yes, you can see a lot just driving.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #6

When my wife and I went, we were unable to go anywhere off the main road as we had our dog with us. It is incredibly beautiful there, would love to go back sometime when we are able to explore more.
-lenny- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #7

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
GT777,,,,if you don't take short hikes, you're going to miss the most majestic formations of all: Landscape Arch which is the longest arch in the world, and in particular, Delicate Arch,,,,,that's the one that's on the Utah plates.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #8

x2 on Grampa Jim. Rent a jeep. You can do Arches in half a day with some hiking to get up close. Then drive the LaSalle Loop Rd off the river and back down into Moab. Also in Moab you can rent a ATV and really have fun in the rocks. There is a guided trip where you drive following a guide on a really good trail. It is about 3 hrs long and cost about 160 for 2. Great time even for a couple of seniors.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #9

GT777,,,,,hopefully you'll be able to spend time at Dead Horse State Park and Canyonlands. Canyonlands by Day and Night is a business right on the left after you cross the Colorado going north out of Moab. They have great tours. We took the night barge, tour,,,,fantastic,,,,,we took the jet boat ride the next day,,,,fantastic.....then we took a 4 hour tour with one of the owners,,,,,Preston,,,,,fantastic. Moab is a great town,,,,and Jay's Italian makes a mean lasagna.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #10

Yes you can drive through there and see a lot, but to experience Arches you must get out and walk. Even if it is just the short walked around the Windows' arches and double arch.

Another great short walk is through Park Avenue, just inside the park.

I lived in Moab UT for six years, hiked most of their trails; including up to Delicate arch four times; drove the backcountry to places most don't even know about. And still found new places to visit and see each time I drove into the park. (And very seldom drove into the park via the main entrance. (There are two other roads into the park; not paved.)

Delicate arch, early morning..

But as already advised, rent a Jeep; plenty of Jeep rentals in Moab.

And up till labor day it is extremely busy, and even stays busy up to the middle of October.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #11

We love Moab and the parks, so we've been there several times.
The time before last (2014) we caught it on a very special day.
Walking was a little wet and slippery, but it was well worth it.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #12

Heading there on Monday!

You folks are getting me excited about our honeymoon! We are getting married tomorrow, then leaving for Utah Monday morning. We are spending five days in Springdale (Zion NP), and a week in Moab. I've been working on my truck and trailer all week trying to get ready. Any additional tips on things to do and see will be appreciated.
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #13

congrats.
Make the big circle to Zion, Bryce, Grand Escalante, Capitol Reef, Island in the Sky, Arches, Canyonlands
Old 09-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #14

Does your truck have decent clearance? Will you be able to rent a Jeep? That can make a big difference in what I would say to visit while in the area.

You have the standard places like Arches, Canyonlands Island in the Sky district, Deadhorse Point state park, Colorado riverway, but there are other places, more off the beaten path, with less people.

Do you want to hike? One of the best hikes in Moab is fairly short and goes to Corona Arch...

Another nice place is Crystal Geyser, near Green River, and right on the Green river...

The La Sal Mountain Loop road is a nice one day drive. Enter it after a nice drive down hwy 128, alongside the CO River, then travel up into the La Sal Mountains and eventually ending up south of Moab.

So many places and so much to see. Just say what you want to do most, such as driving around, hitting some dirt trails, hiking, etc.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #15

My truck is not lifted; just a standard 4 X 4 F-250. I'm open to renting a jeep or ATV. I can't bring my Harley on this trip, but I did buy a couple of scooters for us to tool around on. I'd like to do some short hikes. Love your pictures, BTW!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #16

Gleaner hit the nail on the head....and you'll be blown away as to how each area is so distinctively different from the next. It's going to be memorable for you.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #17

Short hikes:
Good reference here for short hikes....
Moab, Utah Official Tourist Information - Get up-to-date vacation planning information from the official tourism source for the city of Moab.

Easy 4x4 roads that normal clearance vehicles usually can do (have not lived there for a year, so trails do change).
Gemini Arch just north of Arches. It's a nice dirt trail that goes up the side of a mesa so if someone does not like heights, not the one to try. But it takes you to the Gemini Bridges.

If you rent a jeep, a great one, again if not afraid of heights or narrow roads, is Potash road, into Canyonlands and up Shafer Trail into Canyonlands.

Part of Shafer trail....

From the very top of Shafer trail...

And easier switch back road is Mineral bottom, off Hwy 313 just before the split on the highway to Deadhorse Point state park and Canyonlands NP. Very easy and takes you down to the Green River for a nice spot for a picnic. Would be no problem with your truck.
View into Mineral Bottom

Kane Creek road, runs off Hwy 191 (main street through Moab) between Burger King and McDonalds is a great road. Starts out paved, then turns to dirt. Great views. Toward the end there are some minor ledges, so I recommend a jeep or decent clearance. Not bad ledges at all. Hurrah pass on Kane Creek has a great view of the potash fields across the river. After Hurrah pass, it starts to get nastier; not terrible, but more ledges and large rock.

Before doing Kane Creek or Mineral Bottom, I highly suggest calling the BLM office in Moab for road conditions. Even though they are technically county maintained roads, they would know if any closures due to weather.

In 2010 (I believe), Mineral bottom was destroyed. But the national highway administration came in and rebuilt it, actually paved spots that were noted to have rain damage. That's why it sometimes helps to call and check.
(News photo.)

Good place to rent a jeep is Canyonlands Jeep on main street. (If you have a dog, I don't believe they will allow dogs in their Jeeps...not sure.)

If into dino tracks, plenty of those around like at Copper Ridge or Mill Canyon.

A good place to visit to get info is the Moab Information Center at Main and Center street; downtown Moab. There website has a wealth of information on the parks, the places to hike, etc.
City of Moab's Official Tourism Website - Get up-to-date vacation planning information from the only official source for the city of Moab.

And if you just want to travel through Moab quickly, and not have to worry about bumper-to-bumper traffic on the main road....
From the north, turn onto 500 West (first traffic light before Moab and after crossing river coming from the North). Take that till it ends at Kane Creek, and turn left. That will take you to Hwy 191.

If coming up from the south. Turn left onto Kane Creek (between McDonalds and Burger King), turn right onto 500 West, and take that till it ends at Hwy 191, north of town.
The locals shortcut to avoid traffic.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #18

Thanks guys for your input! f5moab...I really appreciate the detailed info; I'll put it to good use. We made it to Springdale on Wednesday evening. We did Zion yesterday, and are going to Bryce in a few minutes. Will leave for Moab on Monday morning. GT777...How was your trip? I didn't mean to hijack your thread!
Old 09-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #19

Have fun....

Tags
utah