Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Are You Forgetful?

We can be SO forgetful! Don't be proud, post the silliest things you've done concerning camping...here's a few of ours:

-Reminding myself to fill up the truck before getting the camper out of the RV lot...and then driving home from the RV lot and noticing it's almost on "E"....grrrrr

-Forgetting VERY important food staples....like bread! (We've actually done that twice...I think it's because we don't want to crush the bread so leave it out while we lug out everything else.) Other things we've forgotten is drinking water and milk....oh, and one time we totally forgot to check on toilet paper and got all set up to discover SOMEONE was making a run to a store!

-But I think the MOST forgetful was when we drove all the way to the RV lot with the truck....and forgot to bring the ball and hitch which I used to store in the garage..but now we store it in the trailer!!!

8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
Always Learning

I showed up at the storage lot and opened my truck bed cover to realize that I forgot my fifth wheel hitch.

I've done the gas thing more times than I care to count.

But, my most angry at myself... forgetting that I need to fill my 2nd propane tank until I've run slap out of propane (more than once).
Old 11-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #3

We were going out for 2 weeks, the first week was for the Frogtoberfest Rally, the second week was just by ourselves. Well.......I forgot to buy groceries IE: dinners for the first week for 6 people. But the good news I had meals for the second week.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #4

On vacation two years ago loaded the car on the dolly and forgot to release the parking brake. Found out about it that night when we stopped. Luckily the brake wasn't set tight, but did cost me new brakes and drums when I got home. Needless to say learn from your mistakes hasn't happened since but I don't set the parking brake any more either. Happy Camping.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Site Team

We made a 600 mile trip to Ruidoso, NM this summer. Since I don't normally carry much cash, I picked some off the cash tree in the garden. When I made a stop in west Texas, I discovered I didn't have my cash cache. When I returned home, I found the cash stashed in the pocket stuff drawer in my office! I was blessed to have Uncle Gene with me since he had 4x all our cash needs.

Same trip - when we arrived, I reached for my ring of keys to unlock DW's bicycle from my truck bed and the cable lock which secured my bicycle and my storage box containing a small grill, charcoal, hand tools, etc., on my back bike platform. No keys! Mom's bike spent the entire trip in the truck bed. I twisted off the storage box lock tab so I could use all that stuff. I found the ring of keys on its normal key ring hook in the house.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #6

I bought a HD satellite dish, tripod and cables for the rv. Got all the way to the state park near Roswell when I found I did not have the satellite receiver!
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #7

I forgot did I answer you already on this..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #8

You are not alone

En route to Road America with a pop-up. Used the seperate key ring with the car, home and trailer tongue lock keys on top of the tonneau cover of the (4-day old 2013 model) pick-up truck to line up the centre of the truck box and the pop-up hitch. Hooked on the trailer, connected the lights, stowed the wheel chocks and the tongue support pilon in the door of the trailer, loaded up the wife and new dog, and drove away from the hotel parking lot, headed north. Got to Road America, unhooked the trailer, re-chocked the wheels, levelled her up and started unloading the jammed bed of the pick-up truck. I then realized that the key for the PAD lock keeping the p-up top locked to the bottom half was on the other key ring, likely somewhere between Milwaukee and Elkhart Lake. Called the hotel; reported to the local police service in case somebody found them.
Luckily, camper area supervisor had a generator and reciprocating saw handy. I held the tiny pad lock with my fingers while he carefully hacked off the lock...no further wounds to the trailer; just my pride.
Replaced the keys I could when I got back home to Canada.

2004 Grand Surveyor by Forest River
26 ft. with Sofa Slide purchased in 2013
Upgrade from 2004 8 ft. Flagstaff by Forest River
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #9

Forgot the keys to the tongue lock with no way to cut the lock. Left the hitch on the trailer, pulled the luckily non locking pin out and let it hang there. Time to go, fiddled around for a long time getting the truck lined up enough to slide the hitch back in the receiver.

Left my LP tanks behind once. That was realized while I was still close to home. Long story, don't ask.

Forgot to chock the wheels before unhitching. Trailer off ball, chains loose, daughter decides she has to pee now and goes inside despite my orders otherwise, trailer takes off, I prove why the breakaway switch stays connected until it's solid. It probably wouldn't have made it terribly far, just over the side of the mountain is all.

That enough?

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #10

Not to worry. It's a pretty normal part of the three phases of getting old. They say the first thing to go is your libido. The second this is your memory. . . . . I forgot what the third thing is.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #11

Mine is not RV related but just last week I drove 50 miles to the nearest Menards lumber yard to buy vinyl siding needing double 4 1/2 inch to match existing siding. They tell me they don't have 4 1/2 in stock but can order it in - don't want to wait so I went one mile to Lowes & they tell me the same story. Now as Paul Harvey used say for the rest of the story! Yes I bought a box of the double 5 inch & it wasn't until I got home that I realized what I had done. So it was a trip back to return it - yes a 100 mile round trip.

The scary thing is we will be 80 in Jan so is this what we can expect to come?

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

what's your question again?
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #13

Later that same pop-up...

Unchocked the wheels before cranking the pin down and missed the ball.

Luckily, nearby post-race cleaning crew (at Watkins Glen) heard me augmenting the number and volume of adjectives and adverbs in the English language and came over the help lift it out of the soft ground and back onto the ball...I'm only 51, but not liking the previews of prolongued memory loss.

At that point, seriously began the travel trailer discussion. Long enough for two axles and not having to manually crank anything up and down anymore...

2004 Grand Surveyor by Forest River
26 ft. with Sofa Slide purchased in 2013
Upgrade from 2004 8 ft. Flagstaff by Forest River
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #14

Got loaded up (so I thought) for the Mount Rushmore trip, got to Rapid City took a shower then went to put on a pair of clean pants but there were none because I had left them on the bed at home..

Same place next day, got to Rushmore and remembered I forgot to grab my change bag for the penny machines.....
Old 11-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
Always Learning

Almost back to back- dropped my camper off and left the keys in my pocket when I departed the dealership.

When my camper made its return trip to the factory, I locked the doors to the camper and didn't give keys to the delivery driver.

We're getting good at overnighting keys places.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
We can be SO forgetful! Don't be proud, post the silliest things you've done concerning camping...here's a few of ours:

-Reminding myself to fill up the truck before getting the camper out of the RV lot...and then driving home from the RV lot and noticing it's almost on "E"....grrrrr

-Forgetting VERY important food staples....like bread! (We've actually done that twice...I think it's because we don't want to crush the bread so leave it out while we lug out everything else.) Other things we've forgotten is drinking water and milk....oh, and one time we totally forgot to check on toilet paper and got all set up to discover SOMEONE was making a run to a store!

-But I think the MOST forgetful was when we drove all the way to the RV lot with the truck....and forgot to bring the ball and hitch which I used to store in the garage..but now we store it in the trailer!!!

You can get a plastic container designed to hold loaf of bread at Wal-Mart. I found something similar at the dollar type store that works for my use.

Back to the original question - When I was tent camping I forget to bring the extension cord to inflate the air mattress. There was a Wal-Mart close by. Another time while tent camping I forgot to bring a pillow. No matter what I used I was not comfortable so I headed down the mountain to find a Target or Wal-Mart. I don't like mountain driving to start with and to do it at night didn't help at all.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
WFD

I would respond but I forgot my username and password!
Old 11-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #18

first trip forgot beer!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #19
PPST OGCDG

All the above Posts sound like the CRS
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #20
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfetched View Post
first trip forgot beer!
You should have been shot.