Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I have researched it and can find nothing that says I can't plus there are no posted signs along the HOV that says no RV trailers. I would appreciate it if you have some info on this as I don't want to break the law..
The Georgia code states only vehicles with no more than 2 axles or no more that 6 wheels are allowed in the HOV lanes. Must be 2 or more occupants (no mannequins or dead bodies) Motorcoach's are exempted as well as motorcycles. No type of vehicle is specifically mentioned. Nothing says what you can't drive in the HOV lane, just what you can drive. If you are towing a RV then technically you have more than 2 axles. I know some people have said they pulled a TT in the HOV and never got ticketed but I guess doing that would depend on whether the LEO was having a good day or not.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #22

We spend a lot of time in and driving through GA. Signs on the side and overhead state that semis are not permitted in the 3rd lane. They just have those signs for truckers to chuckle at as they go by them.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
The Georgia code states only vehicles with no more than 2 axles or no more that 6 wheels are allowed in the HOV lanes. Must be 2 or more occupants (no mannequins or dead bodies) Motorcoach's are exempted as well as motorcycles. No type of vehicle is specifically mentioned. Nothing says what you can't drive in the HOV lane, just what you can drive. If you are towing a RV then technically you have more than 2 axles. I know some people have said they pulled a TT in the HOV and never got ticketed but I guess doing that would depend on whether the LEO was having a good day or not.
Thanks for the feedback.. I just read the rules and found nothing about axle count.. https://dps.georgia.gov/high-occupancy-vehicle-lanes but also did not say a travel trailer was or was not permitted. I've pulled thru Atlanta in the HOV lane at least 10 times with no issues thus far. I will contact the GDOT to see if I can get the answer.

Did you find the whole text of the law? The link I posted seemed to be the summary. Thx..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
When we make that drive we stay on 75 through town. We just try and time it so we hit town after 10am and we seem to have decent luck with traffic. I also try and keep in the 2nd lane from the right as that right lane ends up being exit only several times on that stretch through downtown.

That's what we do too. Try to go through between 10 am and 1 pm on 75. The western bypass is packed full of tractor/trailer traffic.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #25

What you posted says nothing about 6 wheels either but 2 axles and 6 wheels applies to just about every city or state that has HOV lanes. Not saying you couldn't get by towing in the HOV lane but I'm sure if I did it I would get caught.

Here is the link that applies to the HOV/Toll lanes on I-85 north of Atlanta.
https://dps.georgia.gov/i-85-expres-lanes-hot-lanes
It also mentions that no more that 2 axles or more that 6 wheels are allowed in the "Hot" lane and it also applies to the normal HOV lanes.

One caveat, some of the HOV lanes are not in operation 24hrs a day, in that case you can use them with any vehicle during non rush hours. I-20 east and west are not 24hr HOV lanes the last time I checked. I am retired so I stay away from downtown Atlanta if possible (except to go to the Varsity), I think right now the only 24hr HOV lanes are on I-85 north inbound and outbound. That will probably change on I-75 when they finish the construction and it becomes a "Hot" toll lane.
KT4W
Old 09-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
That's what we do too. Try to go through between 10 am and 1 pm on 75. The western bypass is packed full of tractor/trailer traffic.
I've seen tractor trailers in the 4th lane. I got the phone number off of one once and called his office. They asked me where he was at and I told them. They said I think we know who that is, we will be waiting for him when he gets here. For some reason people drive around with company names on their vehicle and do stupid things and think no one notices. One other time I was following a car and the guy threw a bag of food trash out the window. I called his company and they said no one from their company was in the area. I described the car and said how do you think I got your phone number. He said "OH".
KT4W
Old 09-26-2016, 03:23 PM   #27

So I emailed GDOT and got this response... I'm assuming weeks should be wheels? Guess I could get busted next time thru

In response to your inquiry IMS000000078630 submitted on 9/5/2016 10:26:52 AM to Georgia Department of Transportation:

Thank you for contacting YOUR Georgia Department of Transportation. We appreciate you writing in to us with your questions! In response to your inquiry, the only vehicles allowed in these lanes that are more than six weeks are buses. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Have a wonderful day,

GDOT Customer Service Unit

Contact Method: Email
GDOT District:

Subject Area: Express Lanes
Your Comments: Hi, I hace a question regarding the HOV Lanes through downtown Atlanta on I-75. Is it legal to use the lanes if I am pulling a RV behind my truck? I always meet or exceed the passenger count. Thanks in advance for your reply.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote