Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to judy3972
Smile Az to ny summer 2010

We are in the planning stages of a cross country trip from our home in Phoenix, Az to see our family in Buffalo, NY
We are planning on taking our time both ways with a stay of 10 days when we arrive.
So far the only campground reservation we have made is in Buffalo.
We have a MH and have not done any dry camping. DH and I agree at this stage of our life we like the little things like water & electric.
Has anyone done a trip like this?
Pitfalls?
Tips?

Phoenix, Az.
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #2

Wink Az to Ny summer 2012

Entered the wrong year in the title.

Phoenix, Az.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

We haven't done it yet.......but, when we do, I think it's going to be a "just wing it" experience. Just go and stop when you want to. IE; if you plan on stopping around the same time every night, an hour or two before you stop, get out the campground directory and pick a place to head for. If you feel like doing a little Walmart camping, just make sure you have fresh water in your tank for those quickie AM showers. Also good for those bathroom breaks on the road. Maybe get a small quiet generator for those "dry camp" stops. Along the way, stopping at travel stops such as Pilot/Flying J, you can dump your tanks after those "dry camp" nights. So, just "wing it" and have a great trip.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #4

We are thinking of somewhere of 300 to 400 max miles a day, subject to change of course. Looking for a campground an hour or so before we want to stop for the day is a good idea also. Still looking to see if anyone has done this trip before for additional information.

Phoenix, Az.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

I have done a long trip such as the one you are planning, but from the Northeast to AZ in the late fall -early winter. You will love it and I bet you will be happy to get out of the AZ summer weather? I would bet if you stop early enough each day you will not have any problems getting campsites. Have a great time and Happy Trails
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy3972 View Post
We are in the planning stages of a cross country trip from our home in Phoenix, Az to see our family in Buffalo, NY
We are planning on taking our time both ways with a stay of 10 days when we arrive.
So far the only campground reservation we have made is in Buffalo.
We have a MH and have not done any dry camping. DH and I agree at this stage of our life we like the little things like water & electric.
Has anyone done a trip like this?
Pitfalls?
Tips?
Judy - we recently went from Fort Worth, Texas to Rochester, NY (round trip) and being enrolled im the Ocean Canyon Properties network, that entitled us to also stay at the Resorts of Distincition CG's as well as the Coast to Coast CG's. We went in April of this year and planned our CG stays at these places with no problem. All of our sites were full service pull thoughs.

Just plan ahead and you might consider joining a RV network.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

We belong to Good Sam's and Passport America.
And as we are both of the age we have a Lifetime America the Beautiful Pass. We also purchased the "Next Exit" book.
As we are both the type to be really early rather than late this wing it thing has got me a bit nervous. But as we will have our house with us I guess I will adjust.
Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Phoenix, Az.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #8

Near or On I-40:

Santa Fe Skies RV Park - on a hill with great vista views and very nice facilities.

Funky campground at Oklahoma Exit 1, Texola, has water and 50 amp and sewer and shade. Funky restaurant on grounds with very good barbeque.

RV park at Warner, OK: $40 for a space in a field with no sewer (won't go back)

Memphis at Graceland RV park - nice park on grounds of Graceland behind Heartbreak Hotel

Nashville at Nashville Shores RV park and Water park - 10 miles from downtown Nashville and 6 miles from Grand Ole Opry.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #9

We're also in the planning stages of a trip to Baltimore for a wedding and then Buffalo 2 weeks later for my husband's college reunion. Thought we'd kill two birds with one stone and make a road trip out of it. We'll be leaving from Seal Beach, CA on September 6 and will stick to I-40 and then pick up I-81. Plans are firm until the reunion and then get a little mushy depending upon the weather and our mood. If there aren't any hurricanes we may head to the Outer Banks of NC.

We first came cross country from Virginia to California in 2010. We developed a plan that identified where we wanted to end up each night and where we were going to park. We're in our 60's and just can't do 300-400 miles a day - okay, we're lazy. we like to get up late and get off the road early. And we pull over and make lunch everyday. We aim for 250-275 tops and try to find a good place to stop every third day so we can spend a couple of nights and do a bit of exploring. A site I use often is campgroundreviews.com - has good info from lots of different people. We're also retired military and are able to use the FamCamps on bases across US. I don't like winging it entirely - I have a plan to start with and understand what my options are if things go awry and the campground looks so bad you just keep driving. Most gadawful place I ever stayed was someplace outside of Yuma. Avoid Yuma at all costs.

The "Next Exit" book is a wonderful thing.

Can't wait to hit the road again. Never laughed so much, been so terrified, felt so brave, saw so many wonderful and crazy things as on our first crossing.

Let me know what campground you stay at in Buffalo. My research thus far isn't showing me that there's much there.
Pbascom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #10

We will be staying at Lei Ti campground in Bavavia ,NY. Our son has a season site and the campground is very nice. The website will give you more information, Leiti.com. We will be leaving Phoenix on July 12.
By the way I'm 65 and DH is 67, so we are not young chickens either.
Hope your trip goes well.

Phoenix, Az.