Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #1

Best Route from Virginia to Wash. state??

We are thinking of taking a month next summer and traveling from Virginia to Washington State (near Seattle since we have family there). We have a 2008 Chevy 3500 and a Sandpiper 5th wheel that is just at 40' long. Looking for recommendations on routes, scenic veiws, campgrounds for short stays, and even routes that we should avoid. Looking to take a northern route to Seattle, and then a more Southern route on our way back. Our kids will be 14 and 11 and we do not want to wait until they are gone off to college!!

Any help is appreciated!!
K.G.campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #2

I would take I-90 to I-94 but just because I haven't been to any the Northwestern states covered by that route. Plus, I am not going that far without stopping at Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and Mount Rushmore.

I would take I-84 to something to I-70 coming back. I have driven I-70 cross country and a couple times and I-70 is pretty awesome through Utah and Colorado. Go to Moab, Utah if you have the chance.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #3

Bryan...thanks for the reply. This is very much how I was thinking of going to Washington. But your return route really has me looking at the great places on that route. And yes Moab looks beautiful. Thanks again.

Dave
Old 09-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #4

X2 for the route. We went to Yellowstone couple of years ago from Maryland. Went out Interstate 70 to I74 to Moline and then to Sioux Falls. We stopped at the badlands for a couple of days and toured Mt. Rushmore. Followed I90 to Sheridan and to Bozeman and then followed the Gallatin (rt 191) into West Yellowstone. Wonderful drive. I90 would take you easily into washington state and Seattle. We stayed in West Yellowstone for 5 days before heading back to Md.. The route is mostly interstate, easy traveling and there are KOA campgrounds everywhere. Our longest days were 6 driving hours as we planned our stops early enough to enjoy the pools at the campgrounds. One thing I did not take into account is the time zone changes which was more of an issue heading east than heading west. Also, traveling over holidays, most campgrounds have minimum stays (like 3 night mins).
Our next long trip planned is to go out I70 all the way and go south to Grand Canyon.:-)
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
Our next long trip planned is to go out I70 all the way and go south to Grand Canyon.:-)
I did the I70 to Grand Canyon. It was.really great. Took 70 to 128S, stopped.in Moab for a couple days, then continued south on 191 and then west to Page AZ and stayed on Lake Powell for a couple days. Then to the GC and Flagstaff and Phx. The trip thru Utah was so beautiful by the time we got to the GC, we thought it was just "ok", lol

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post

I did the I70 to Grand Canyon. It was.really great. Took 70 to 128S, stopped.in Moab for a couple days, then continued south on 191 and then west to Page AZ and stayed on Lake Powell for a couple days. Then to the GC and Flagstaff and Phx. The trip thru Utah was so beautiful by the time we got to the GC, we thought it was just "ok", lol
Yep it is just a big hole in the ground :-D. But we are looking forward to the trip. There is so much too see through there and not enough time as we still have to do this thing called work.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

Great comments....thanks alot. We are now thinking of not going to Washington, but from Yellowstone (which we hope to include a ride through Bear Tooth pass) we want to go south into Utal and go to Moab. I will be heading due east from there to Denver on our route back, but wonder how far south would I have to go to see the Grand Canyon. If I'm that close I want to see it.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #8

its about 7 hours from Moab to the GC according to google, decisions decisions, and none of that 7 hours is on an interstate highway, all US highway. but it is all pretty flat and straight.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
Old 09-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #9

Yellowstone gets crowded during the summer prepare for it. Be sure to get reservations at a Yellowstone campground early as they book up in the summer (we made that reservation first as that was the "kingpin" - without that reservation there was no trip for us...) and if you also do GC, I would make those second.
There are other threads in this forum about campgrounds around and in Yellowstone - check those out.

This would be an awesome trip - take a very good camera (my daughter took over 800 pics and that was just Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Yellowstone and Grand Teton).
Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
RBR

Best campground by Mt Rushmore is Mt Rushmore KOA at Palmer Gulch. It's right outside of Hill City SD. 5 minutes from Mt Rushmore.
RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #11

I really appreciate all of your information. I will research all of this and make sure I make my reservations early. We are really excited about doing this trip and just simply cannot wait!!

Thanks again everyone