Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2020, 09:59 PM   #1

cabot trail nova scotia

We are thinking of vacationing in Nova Scotia this summer. We want to spend most of our time along Cabot Trail. Its doesn't seem logical to take our 32' travel trailer along the hills and turns. Cape Bretton Highlands looks great but I'm not sure I want to pull trailer out there. Does anyone have any recommendations for a base campground to do day trips from. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TJay
tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
We are thinking of vacationing in Nova Scotia this summer. We want to spend most of our time along Cabot Trail. Its doesn't seem logical to take our 32' travel trailer along the hills and turns. Cape Bretton Highlands looks great but I'm not sure I want to pull trailer out there. Does anyone have any recommendations for a base campground to do day trips from. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TJay
TJay, Bras d'Or Lakes Campground. We've stayed there twice, in 2016 and 2018. Easy to get to, great folks, located half-way between the two ends of the Cabot Trail. FHU.

https://brasdorlakescampground.ca/

Enjoy. The scenery on the Cabot Trail is beautiful.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
JEG

We visited the Cape Breton area this past September, and stayed at the Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground. We found it to be a very nice, well-run campground where we based our stay for three days. We were scheduled to stay two more nights, but were forced to leave Nova Scotia during the hurricane that came through. We enjoyed they area very much, and were able to drive the Cabot Trail in its entirety. One day we drove the eastern side, and another day the western side. We found that the western side was more spectacular, and would probably base our next visit in the Cheticamp area. I would not want to pull a trailer over the whole Cabot Trail.
JEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #4
Canadian Member

We stayed at the North Sydney KOA. It was fine but I’d probably try one of the other suggestions if I were going back again. It was a great location as a base though. If you can handle a long walk, do the Skyline Trail. Fortress Louisbourg was a great surprise - we spent the better part of a day there.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Yup.....North Sydney KOA worked out as a base camp, but the campground itself is a little tired. It could do with a little freshening up. That said, the campground is built into the side of a hill, and each row has a view overlooking the row in front of them, so everyone gets a view overlooking the bay.

You do not want to circle the Cabot Trail with an RV. Disconnect and tour by car. Whenever we stopped at any of the lookouts, we could smell brake pads from the RV rental units.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #6

Arm Of Gold - The Closest Newfoundland Ferry Campground
is another nice campground you may consider
mzweili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:47 PM   #7

as earlier stated the camp sites identified are awesome. do the trail counter clockwise though as it will put you in the water side for better viewing.
going in the summer is a lot better than winter for sure...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape Breton winter 2015.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	222600  
Old 01-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
as earlier stated the camp sites identified are awesome. do the trail counter clockwise though as it will put you in the water side for better viewing.
Yeah......not much of a view at this time of year.....clockwise or counter.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #9

we traveled PEI, Nova Scotia a Cape Breton in 2017..
In Nova Scotia we stayed at Halifax West KOA.. it is close to the action around Halifax and the other attractions near by, ie Peggy's Cove for 7 days
In Cape Breton, we stayed at North Sydney KOA for 6 days
the owners were great.. will bring firewaood and the ring to your camp spoy
with so much to see, we were only there to sleep
- check out Captain Mark's - Whale and Seal Cruise, miners museum and Men of the Deeps men's show, Grape Escapes Nova scotia wine tours,bannockburntours.com
Bannockburn Tours: Cabot Trail Tours
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Yeah......not much of a view at this time of year.....clockwise or counter.
that's an understatement lol
Old 01-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #11

Quote:

TJay
TJ
I stayed at the Hide Away Campground a few years ago. It is about half way around the Cabot trail. Beautiful views and convenient. I did not pull a camper but rented a trailer to stay in for 3 nights as we were on motorcycles. But there were plenty of campers around and on the roads. Make sure you visit and take the tour of the Glenora distillery if your into that sort of thing.
https://www.campingcapebreton.com/

Your gonna love it. Enjoy!
Tom
Old 01-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #12
ARLO

Quote:

TJay
We did a 5 week tour of the Canadian Maritime Provences. The Cabot trail was wonderful but we left our trailer at a cacmgrond and took just the truck. We left the trailer at a campground. If you have the chance, PEI and Hopewell Rocks are great destinations to tour also. Also try Peggie’s cove and Halifax. How much time do you have. You will need a lot.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:50 PM   #13
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
100% agree.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
TJay, Bras d'Or Lakes Campground. We've stayed there twice, in 2016 and 2018. Easy to get to, great folks, located half-way between the two ends of the Cabot Trail. FHU.

https://brasdorlakescampground.ca/

Enjoy. The scenery on the Cabot Trail is beautiful.
Ditto...we spent a week there and it is a wonderful spot and ideal base for exploring the Cabot and the rest of the north.
Leave plenty of time for Halifax and the Southeast coast and stop at Nellie's Diner in Pugwash on the way on or off island!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:17 PM   #15

Thank you all

Thanks all for great info and suggestions! looking forward to a great trip!
tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #16
H3N

Where to stay re Cabot Trail

We’ve been fortunate enough to have been to Cape Breton twice (2016 & 2018) and plan to go again this year. We have stayed at Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground, North Sydney KOA and Arm of Gold. Because we have planned our Cape Breton trips with extended stays in Newfoundland Labrador, the Arm of Gold has been terrific for staying the night before and the night after the ferry portion of our trips.

The Arm of Gold has reasonably spacious sites, clean facilities and nice people, an RV wash (very handy after NL), and live music in the barn. Wonderful place to stay, and we plan to stay there again this year.

We also enjoyed staying at the Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground. There are decent sites, clean facilities, friendly and helpful staff (they arranged an ambulance for me when I got sick), along with hiking trails and a beach. Wonderful place to stay, and we plan to stay there again this year.

We stayed at North Sydney KOA for a couple of days and agree that the views are fantastic but also agree that it was very tired and found that the facilities weren’t as clean as we’d like. Granted, we stayed there almost 2 years ago so it may be dandy now.

We used the Baddeck Cabot Trail Campground as our base camp for both exploration of the Cabot Trail as well as the general area. The Cabot Trail is is glorious as everyone says it is. If you are a history buff, please check out the Parks Canada’s Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site in Baddeck. The last time we were there there was live music in addition to the fabulous displays. Have tea in the small but delightful cafe. They serve Mr Bell’s favorite tea biscuits and they are delicious.

H3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #17

Oh please don't even think Bout pulling your trailer around the Cabot Trail. The roads are good but lots of hills and turns. I have stayed in a campground in English Town just outside the park. Owners are great but it is very crowded.
I have also stayed in Cheticamp in the National park on the Gulf side. Decent place but reserve ahead. Lots of trails in the National Park and the drive is enjoyable but considering the traffic and hills not with a trailer
Spragueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #18

Cabot Trail Broad Cove Campground

I just booked 3 nights at Broad Cove Campground up by Ingonish. I have a 2017 Class C and I tow my Chevy Spark. Hopefully the road to Broad Cove will be nice. Will be staying in late June. We plan to do some hiking at Franey Trail and Middle Head Trail and maybe a whale watch. We will drive the car over to the west side for the Cheticamp area and the skyline Trail. Is it woth the drive to Meat Cove?
Campincarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #19

Good afternoon
Stayed at the Cheticamp Campground in the National park two years ago. The entirety of the Cabot trail in the park is amazing. If you have a choice do the trail counter clockwise that way you are in the outside lave for the trip. You can enter the park at Englishtown via a small cable propelled ferry Cross the channel or south of that there is the main road into the park. That portion of the road was rebuilt 2 years ago. The skyline trail is amazing but long. I think 11k rt but it's flat. The view of the Gulf is fantastic. If you have the time do the entire Cabot trail in the park it's worth the drive. Another trail on the Atlantic side by a large upscale hotel / lodge can't remember the name but also magnificent.
Happy travels
Spragueman is offline   Reply With Quote