Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #1

Calgary to Glacier

Any pros/cons, yays/nays on taking:

Lethbridge to US89 down to Mountain Meadow RV park (near Apgar) but of course not 'going to the sun' road

VERSUS

taking the crownest pass to US93

Thanks!!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #2

From Lethbridge I would take AB 5 to Cardston and then cross the border just south of there. Don't take the 89 because it is quite a twisty steep ascent and then descent on the other side. Instead, turn left just after passing through Babb on to the Montana 464 (Duck Lake Road) and drive to Browning that way. From there pick up US2 to Apgar. Fill up with gas at Browning because it is much cheaper than anywhere else on Hwy 2 as you go around the southern end of GNP. The border crossing at Cardston will be much faster than the crossing at Coutts. I often travel this way heading from Calgary to Kalispell. Having said that, today I have just got back from Kalispell via the Cowsnest pass and US93. and the crossing there was also very quiet. There is some road construction on the Crowsnest Pass at the AB/BC border but it only held us up for about 10 minutes. Avoid buying gas in BC. If you can, wait until Eureka or Whitefish if you go that way.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
From Lethbridge I would take AB 5 to Cardston and then cross the border just south of there. Don't take the 89 because it is quite a twisty steep ascent and then descent on the other side. Instead, turn left just after passing through Babb on to the Montana 464 (Duck Lake Road) and drive to Browning that way. From there pick up US2 to Apgar. Fill up with gas at Browning because it is much cheaper than anywhere else on Hwy 2 as you go around the southern end of GNP. The border crossing at Cardston will be much faster than the crossing at Coutts. I often travel this way heading from Calgary to Kalispell. Having said that, today I have just got back from Kalispell via the Cowsnest pass and US93. and the crossing there was also very quiet. There is some road construction on the Crowsnest Pass at the AB/BC border but it only held us up for about 10 minutes. Avoid buying gas in BC. If you can, wait until Eureka or Whitefish if you go that way.
x2..
And to add.. I might cross into Montana in BC, but I won't come back that way... Too high of taxes for me...
The Duck Lake Road (MT 464) is a nice drive and alot more RV friendly vs the 89... The Exon on the south side of Browning can be a PITA to get a trailer in and out of.. There is a Cenex right on the side of the road on the north side that we hit last time..

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is online now   Reply With Quote