Old 12-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Toddles View Post
My wife and I are planning a trip towards the Gulf of Mexico this February and March to try to escape the nasty cold weather up here in Wisconsin. We were thinking about the Texas coast near Houston. We looked up info near Corpus Christie but we have never been to this area before. I was wondering if anyone out there has some info regarding campgrounds and sightseeing? We prefer more isolated areas and just want to do some hiking, sightseeing, relaxing and maybe some fishing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

There is a state park on Galveston Island - west off of the Termini San Luis Pass Rd. - they have some unique bird watching and of course fishing. There is a lot to see on Galveston Island as well, Moody Gardens, Moody Mansion, on the east side the fish market. There is a lot of bicycle riding - if you have your own bikes - very enjoyable scenery of the ocean and Island life. Galveston Island is in better shape now than any time I can recall in my past 55 years. My wife and I enjoy taking the top off and touring the island by jeep. I recommend it to anyone who wants a different view. Try Willie Gs off of Wharf Rd for a great seafood or steak meal. Could go on and on but take it slow and easy really enjoy your stay. State park will require reservations but there are several other RV parks that have even better accommodations on the island.

johnbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:19 PM   #12
We spent a couple of weeks last March staying in Texas state parks (mostly in central and West TX). We had a great time. We were glad we planned ahead and made reservations in advance. Pretty much the entire state has spring break and and the parks were sometimes full. Advance reservations can be a good idea.

UltraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
Move over a little more west to the Rio Grand Valley about one more day from Houston much warmer one of the best parks is Casa Del Valle in Alamo Texas 78516 only 40 miles to South Padre Island there is a lot of people here from Wisconsin.
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
I will 2nd on the Rio Grande Valley. We travel 2 months in the winter but always stop in the valley for some time. Many RV parks to choose from, activities, fresh fruit/vegetables, inexpensive, warmer,etc. The local Hispanic population is welcoming to the Midwesterners that have a huge effect on the economy there.

2016 Sunseeker MBS W
2010 Honda CRV- SMI Stay In Play Duo
Previous-5th wheel, Class C, tent trailer, tent
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote