Old 12-28-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
Camping Spots in SE Texas

My wife and I are planning a trip towards the Gulf of Mexico this February and March to try to escape the nasty cold weather up here in Wisconsin. We were thinking about the Texas coast near Houston. We looked up info near Corpus Christie but we have never been to this area before. I was wondering if anyone out there has some info regarding campgrounds and sightseeing? We prefer more isolated areas and just want to do some hiking, sightseeing, relaxing and maybe some fishing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Toddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Rockport area is very nice. It is about 35 miles north of Corpus Christi. Lots of campgrounds in the area. Very good fishing. Just Google Rockport Texas campgrounds.
Lots of resturants, sightseeing, etc. Sight seeing boats, Lexington aircraft carrier, South Texas Aquatic Center.

2015 Flagstaff 26VFKS
TV - 2014 F150 Crew Cab 5.0L
WDH - 1,200 Equalizer
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
Thanks txredfish! Just the info we were looking for!
Toddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
If you're not set on the coast, or have time to stop on the way there, the Double Lake Recreation Area in Coldspring Texas is worth a look. it is one of my favorites, surrounded by the Sam Houston National Forrest.

Big tall pines, lots of trails for hiking or mountain biking.

I like that on you can pick your exact spot. Some of the pull throughs have sewer hookups.

Huntsville State park is also another of my favorites.
2012 Ford F-150 3.7L V6 -- SOLD
2007 Rockwood 1640 LTD Popup -- SOLD
2004 Bantam 19 HTT -- SOLD
2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
All so Brazos Bend State Park. Great bike and hiking trails....lots of wildlife including lots of gators...beautiful trees.....great camp sites.

Tow Vehicle: 2012 Durango 3.6 Pentastar Engine
Purchased 2013 A128S 01-15-14
Total nights camping 2014-(10)
Total Nights Camping 2015-(9)
Total Nights Camping 2016-(3)
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
I would try Corpus Christi/Rockport or south from there, South Padre Island would be my choice. I have lived in SE Texas for 41 years, 35 miles NNE of Houston on a small ranch, and I wouldn't recommend it in the summer or winter. The summers are the worst in the country and it was down near 32 degrees F last night. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
Lagoons RV Resort in Rockport is a nice park. Walking distance to town, concrete pads and lots to do in the park and outside.
FrankinKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
Texas state parks

Goose-Island State Park in Rockport/Fulton Area is our go-to park. There are RV spots along the bay, but we prefer to stay in the wooded area which are very private. The park is usually not full, so you can drive around and pick your campsite -- we like spots 143-145. We usually bike to the bay area and my husband likes to fish early morning or evening - where you can also enjoy the nice sunsets. Nice pier for fishing or people watching (usually at night) and the bay is calm for wade-fishing during the day.

Goose Island State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Brazos Bend State park is also nice.

2016 2109S Rockwood Mini Lite - - 2014 Chevy Silverado Texas Edition
macalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
Rock port is nice and we really enjoyed Port Aransis best. We weren't sure we could stay in a 23 ft TT for 30 days, but we really enjoyed it! When there is so much to do in the area, it was easy! Enjoy!
Robbsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
If you're looking for isolated camping near Houston, check out Sea Rim State Park and Galveston Island State Park.

banda is online now   Reply With Quote