Old 09-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #101
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
Which roads are you talking about
The Alcan highway. There are patches that are gravel where they are doing maintenance on them constantly during the summer. Could be stretches of a few feet to several miles. I would also cover the front of the trailers to protect from rocks, etc. Better to carry spare tires (even unmounted), you can always use them later. The rocks are sharp, not like gravel down in the lower 48.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
For all you folks planning to take this trip, make sure you take plenty of spare tires for the trailer and tow vehicle. The road is not a paved highway all the way and has some very rough, large gravel stoned roads.
That was then...this is now. According to Pete, who was up last year, this is no longer the case on 99% of the roads. (I have also confirmed this with my 2015 edition of the milepost.)

We will be pretty much sticking to the Alaska Highway (The AlCan). Of course one thing to watch out for is 'frost heaves' - those can do some damage if you are traveling at a high rate of speed. Yes, there are streatches of the Highway that are under repair. You go slow, just like you would in a road repair area in the lower 48.

We may take some detours - notable of which is the "Top Of The World" / Taylor Highway. Yes, these are gravel but, as was reported in August 'Gone with The Wynns' they made it fine to Chicken - and they were in a motor home.

Now having said that, OC is correct in that you will want a spare for your MH, Pull Behind & TV. But only one to cover outright sidewall failures. For all other repairs, folks up North recommend a Tire Plugger kit and a compressor that goes well above the recommended PSI for your tires. In addition, there are stops along the way that have RV repairs and tires. Pete has pointed these out and we will have them marked.

Finally, I would strongly encourage anyone on this or any other AlCan trip to get in touch with CoachNet (I have been chatting with Garfield Fabricius-Davies, and can put you in touch with her - PM me) CoachNet covers the Canadian Provinces and Alaska, and having roadside assistance is a really *good* thing up there

Bottom line is, the majority of the roads from Great Falls to Fairbanks and Fairbanks to Seattle are in MUCH better shape than I-10 from Birmingham, AL to Houston, TX

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #103
Mod free 5er

The road is in a constant state of being repaired, EVEN NOW! Be prepared.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The road is in a constant state of being repaired, EVEN NOW! Be prepared.
We are preparing - reread my post above OC
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:19 AM   #105
Broke and happy

Interested in taking this trip with my Columbus 5er. Following this thread.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #106

LindaLou here - 2015 PrimeTime Spartan TH - VERY interested in further info on this trip. Full time, so the actual time involvement is not an issue. Presently (10/2) in Amana at the FROG rally. Good group of people here.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaLou View Post
LindaLou here - 2015 PrimeTime Spartan TH - VERY interested in further info on this trip. Full time, so the actual time involvement is not an issue. Presently (10/2) in Amana at the FROG rally. Good group of people here.
Hi Linda, go to reply #40 and that is Bob Williams email. He is very busy, so give him time to respond. Bob is the main planner.
Larry
Old 11-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #108

Bob and I have been working on some apparel for the 2018 Frog to Alaska. You can see some of the items and the logo styles on FB. There will be more to follow.
Larry
Old 12-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #109

Our trip to Alaska in 2015

We went to Alaska with Coachmen in 2015. It was not a total disaster but it had a lot of piss poor planning. I am not planning to go back right away, but if anyone is interested maybe I could offer suggestions.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #110

Alaska Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
That was then...this is now. According to Pete, who was up last year, this is no longer the case on 99% of the roads. (I have also confirmed this with my 2015 edition of the milepost.)

We will be pretty much sticking to the Alaska Highway (The AlCan). Of course one thing to watch out for is 'frost heaves' - those can do some damage if you are traveling at a high rate of speed. Yes, there are streatches of the Highway that are under repair. You go slow, just like you would in a road repair area in the lower 48.

We may take some detours - notable of which is the "Top Of The World" / Taylor Highway. Yes, these are gravel but, as was reported in August 'Gone with The Wynns' they made it fine to Chicken - and they were in a motor home.

Now having said that, OC is correct in that you will want a spare for your MH, Pull Behind & TV. But only one to cover outright sidewall failures. For all other repairs, folks up North recommend a Tire Plugger kit and a compressor that goes well above the recommended PSI for your tires. In addition, there are stops along the way that have RV repairs and tires. Pete has pointed these out and we will have them marked.

Finally, I would strongly encourage anyone on this or any other AlCan trip to get in touch with CoachNet (I have been chatting with Garfield Fabricius-Davies, and can put you in touch with her - PM me) CoachNet covers the Canadian Provinces and Alaska, and having roadside assistance is a really *good* thing up there

Bottom line is, the majority of the roads from Great Falls to Fairbanks and Fairbanks to Seattle are in MUCH better shape than I-10 from Birmingham, AL to Houston, TX
We are interested in heading North to Alaska. We are in the east central part of Alabama. Would like to be kept in the loop as planning progresses.
Dave and Nancy
Cedar Creek 5th wheel

Tags
frog