Old 12-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #111

F.R.O.G. Caravan to Alaska in 2018

Friends JUST returned from 5 months in Alaska in a Phaeton diesel pusher, about 40ft ( no tag axle).
Unit took a hell of a beating due to gravel chips and frost heaves. Insurance covered thousands in paint repair. The owners have a super expensive, but excellent, warranty plan. Problem: no parts availability. You order and wait and wait!
Just say'n pack extra parts that experienced travelers recommend. Could save your butt!!
Now, let me clarify that this couple went everywhere on this once in a lifetime trip. Money was no object.
They are happy to have gone but stated it was their only trip to Alaska.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #112

Ohhh, if fuel stops close at 6pm as many do, you sit there till morning 😁. Hey, it is an adventure. Carry extra fuel!!

Old 12-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #113

FR has better paint. Should be ok on paint chips.

Russell
Old 12-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #114

Better paint

GOOD ONE! 😜. If it were only true 😁. SilverbackMel had the 2015 front cap replaced due to 2x fade, within 6 months! Now have 2016 oyster color cap, sans "bear".
I guess you can say the situation is "unBEARable" as we loved the brown bear!! Was offered a new brown bear cap, we said no thanks to the HIGH QUALITY FR PAINT 👍
Old 12-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #115

Easy fix:
#1 Berkshires have Diamond Shield applied to the front.
#2 Add a Bra to protect the paint
#3 Add a Alaska Pack to protect your TOAD (If you are really paranoid add a TOAD windshield bra as well)
#5 Best practice is to keep speeds below 40MPH on the gravel roads
#6 Better Practice is to pay attention to the frost heave markers and do not roll over them at speed

Curious, were they Coach-Net members? I have been in contact with Coach-Net corporate in prep for this trip, and they have assured me that parts are available in most cities along the AlCan. If parts are out of stock, Coach-Net will express ship from the lower 48.

SilverbackMel - sorry about your "Un-Bear-able" situation (we are Bear lovers too!! in fact, our rig is named "The Bear Cave" ) I'll bet if you get in contact with the Factory you can get a Bear Decal shipped to you - or you can pick one up if you attend Goshen 2016.

Believe Russell was speaking of the paint quality on the Berkshire, which is full body, + 4 layers of clear coat. Definitely a high quality paint job!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Easy fix:
#1 Berkshires have Diamond Shield applied to the front.
#2 Add a Bra to protect the paint
#3 Add a Alaska Pack to protect your TOAD (If you are really paranoid add a TOAD windshield bra as well)
#5 Best practice is to keep speeds below 40MPH on the gravel roads
#6 Better Practice is to pay attention to the frost heave markers and do not roll over them at speed

Curious, were they Coach-Net members? I have been in contact with Coach-Net corporate in prep for this trip, and they have assured me that parts are available in most cities along the AlCan. If parts are out of stock, Coach-Net will express ship from the lower 48.

SilverbackMel - sorry about your "Un-Bear-able" situation (we are Bear lovers too!! in fact, our rig is named "The Bear Cave" ) I'll bet if you get in contact with the Factory you can get a Bear Decal shipped to you - or you can pick one up if you attend Goshen 2016.

Believe Russell was speaking of the paint quality on the Berkshire, which is full body, + 4 layers of clear coat. Definitely a high quality paint job!

I believe you will find "most" if not all DP's will have 4 coats of clear and diamond shield these days.....not that uncommon

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #117

Too many post saying that they come back without any or little damage. So if the Tiffin guy comes back with all sorts of chips and other damage. I would suggest that possibly running a bit slower and watch for the heaves be in order.

PS: FR paint probably better too !!

Russell
Old 12-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
I believe you will find "most" if not all DP's will have 4 coats of clear and diamond shield these days.....not that uncommon
Absolutely correct Dennis - your Sportscoach being a prime example!!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Too many post saying that they come back without any or little damage. So if the Tiffin guy comes back with all sorts of chips and other damage. I would suggest that possibly running a bit slower and watch for the heaves be in order.

PS: FR paint probably better too !!
Russell,

LOL yeah it probably is. In fact ALL the FBP on ALL FR Class A's is done in Middlebury at the Coachman Factory.

All of my research and discussions with folks who have been to AK up the AlCan (Rocky Mtn Route), The Gold Rush Route, and the Inside Passage Route paint a "that was then, this is now" picture of driving to Alaska regarding beating the hell out of your rig on the road.

Sure there are some common sense precautions like driving slower (MUCH slower) on gravel, being vigilant for the frost heave warnings (they scrupulously mark the heaves every spring), and carrying a reasonable assortment of spare parts.

Is it possible to break a windshield? Sure and it is probably better a than even chance you will at least get a (hopefully repairable) chip and some minor body dings. That is why we buy insurance

The web site Gone With The Wynns has been documenting their Alaskan driving adventure and, excepting a flat (happened on the all gravel Top of The World Highway), and a chip on their windshield no other damage was incurred on their Class A Gasser (and they did not have air ride).
Old 01-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #120

Catching up from the holidays...

The "Farewell to Alaska" video from Gone With The Wynns:

The Cassiar, Hyder & Goodbye Alaska

Tags
frog