Old 02-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveclark View Post
Bob,

Thanks so much for the info, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to add any days on either side of the sabbatical so a shorter trip would be in order, but perfectly fine with us!
The (As we say in the Army) "Long Pole In The Tent" will be getting you to MT! That will be strictly up to you and your driving comfort level (I know 350-400 miles/day and I am done. With Anne-Marie and I team driving we can almost double that but OMG what a day!

You might plan for something like that on the way up to maximize the time you have in CA & back down to sites in the lower 48. If you are interested, PM me your email and I will get you on the list.

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #142

BamaBob; I have plenty of time to go, and I don't mind the drive. From 2010 to 2013, I worked at the DOE site at Hanford in Richland Wa. and I would drive home for christmas.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:30 PM   #143

This sounds like a great trip! We might be retired by then, and have plans to go to Alaska. In any case, I'd like to follow the info on this thread. It's very interesting and I'm taking notes on others' comments who have gone.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #144
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Not to dissuade you (because you could always go part way and then turn back home) but....

Just to get to the Sweetgrass, MT border crossing from Central TX (I assumed Austin) is 1,798 miles

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Aust...48.9961099!3e0

I see you are towing a 5er. 5er tires are not rated for speeds over 65MPH (I never drive over 63) but at 65MPH it is probably going to take you 27 hours just to get to Sweetgrass (probably 5-6 days one way).

You could at least see Calgary and Banff National park before you had to turn around, mosey home and possible stop a Yellowstone and Glacier National parks in order to meet your 4 week time budget -- that would be a great trip in and of itself!!

Glad to have you! Current plan is to meet in Great Falls, MT @ 10 May 2018 and crossing over on 14 May (3 days in Great Falls for last min rig preparation & maintenance)

We will be having 2 "versions" of the trip towards the end. Those who want to stay into early September and see the Northern Lights will stay with us, and those who need to get back to the lower 48 earlier with be returning in early August with Pete.

Since the motto of FROG! To Alaska is "The Journey Is The Destination" we are not planning on driving more than 225MI a day, and in most cases, less than 200.

If any are interested in joining us, please send me a Private Message with your email address and I will send you a caravan package.
I wasn't aware that the group had come up with dates for the start of our excursion.....or that there are two options for the return. I may have missed that info somewhere. Was the information shared on this forum? Just wondering, Bob. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
I wasn't aware that the group had come up with dates for the start of our excursion.....or that there are two options for the return. I may have missed that info somewhere. Was the information shared on this forum? Just wondering, Bob. Thanks.
No - we have a separate email list for folks interested in this trip. Please PM me your email address and I will get you on the list
Old 02-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #146
RetiredRVer

I'm already on the list, Bob......I supplied my email address to you some time ago. I just don't recall getting the info about the official start date and return options. Thanks
Old 03-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #147

Recently heard about this trip, Alaska is on our bucket list and we are very interested. Would be leaving from Michigan. Will PM you.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #148
Retired Member

We are on your email list but would like to see the facebook page, as well. What is the name of the group on facebook?
Old 03-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
I'm already on the list, Bob......I supplied my email address to you some time ago. I just don't recall getting the info about the official start date and return options. Thanks
The start dates are still firmly set in Jello Checkmate

The "Plan" is to cross over the Sweetgrass Border Crossing ~ Memorial Day weekend, 2018, spend a few days in Calgary/Banff area and then head toward Dawson Creek, BC and Milepost "0" of the Alaskan Highway. We are planning a FROG caravan Kickoff dinner while in Dawson Creek before departing.

Magic then happens and we fast-forward to August

We are looking at 2 return groups: One that heads back in August, and the other (led by Anne-Marie & I) that will head back in September (September is the earliest time of the year you can reliably see the Aurora Borealis, and this is a huge bucket list item for Anne-Marie.)

The general plan (again in Jello) is for the August group to essentially retrace their route back to the lower 48, while the September group will return via the Yukon Gold Rush route and disband to go your own way after crossing back in to the lower 48 just above Seattle, WA.

Anne-Marie and I plan to continue down Route 1 - Washington, Oregon, California, before hanging a right @ San Diego and heading for Alabama via AZ/NM/TX/LA/MS in time to spend Thanksgiving with our son & daughter. If you wish, ya'll are welcome to come with us on all or part of this leg of the trip as well!
Old 03-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #150

If you hang a right in San Diego you will get very wet!!!😃

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog