Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe View Post
Love to go leaving from s c keep me informed

We are planning on leaving 1 May from NC but we plan on going by Topeka IN for a few days then on to Yellowstone. I'm going to try for the third week in May to cross the border, maybe a little sooner. We have made no reservations
Old 03-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
We are planning on leaving 1 May from NC but we plan on going by Topeka IN for a few days then on to Yellowstone. I'm going to try for the third week in May to cross the border, maybe a little sooner. We have made no reservations
Be sure to look on-line at the opening dates for roads and campgrounds in Yellowstone if you are leaving that early. Without reservations, you may already be too late for the few cg spaces that are available that early.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Old 03-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #323

Getting reservations this late in Yellowstone will be next to impossible... We've been to Yellowstone 8 times and always made our reservations the first week in January... Any later and it really became a "call every day" kind of thing....
Old 06-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #324
Mountain Lovers

Trip to Alaska

Wow this would be a great trip and we are thinking about doing it as well, but not alone....we are retired but would have to be 2019 for us. Please keep us posted to on how you will do this. We have a fifth wheel we would be towing. Would like to talk to anyone at the Frog Rally that is interested in doing this!
Old 06-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #325

Alaska 2018

FordCamper, We will have at least eight of our 24 rigs attending Goshen this year. We will be holding a meeting just so many of us may actually meet each other at some TBD time and place.

Send me an email at pmsto@peoplepc.com and I will let you know more. We might also have an opening. One of our members recently injured is back and is concerned that he may not be able to make the trip, but it is too early to make the call.

Pete S.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
Be sure to look on-line at the opening dates for roads and campgrounds in Yellowstone if you are leaving that early. Without reservations, you may already be too late for the few cg spaces that are available that early.

We decided against going to Yellowstone this year and just went straight to Alaska. We have been in Fairbanks the last week and now at a campground in Cantwell now for four days. We take a tour in Denali on Thursday. Then on to Seward for four days and then the trip will be over except for the drive back home. We plan on turning off the Alaska highway in Watson Lake, take highway 37 back (Cassiar Highway). The Silverado has not been good on this trip, a good time to buy a new dually when I get home
Old 06-06-2017, 06:57 AM   #327
Phat Phrog

Quote:
We decided against going to Yellowstone this year and just went straight to Alaska. We have been in Fairbanks the last week and now at a campground in Cantwell now for four days. We take a tour in Denali on Thursday. Then on to Seward for four days and then the trip will be over except for the drive back home. We plan on turning off the Alaska highway in Watson Lake, take highway 37 back (Cassiar Highway). The Silverado has not been good on this trip, a good time to buy a new dually when I get home

How exciting!
I was born in Fairbanks (Air Force Brat), and have never been there since. I'd love to go!
Oh, and a new dually...❤️❤️❤️❤️
Old 06-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #328

Quote:

While down there at Seward I'd recommend a trip thru the Train Tunnel to Whittier. Not much over there but the Glacier tours but neat to see the old Military base. And the story behind the the base and tunnel.

The Phillips 26 Glacier 1/2 day tour is well worth the $$.

Russell
Old 06-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordcamper View Post
Wow this would be a great trip and we are thinking about doing it as well, but not alone....we are retired but would have to be 2019 for us. Please keep us posted to on how you will do this. We have a fifth wheel we would be towing. Would like to talk to anyone at the Frog Rally that is interested in doing this!
Fordcamper, I second Pete's suggestion that you may want to reconsider your timing to go to Alaska - especially if we have a member drop out of our caravan for 2018 (May-July)

As far as 2019 Goes, we are planning a caravan to the other side of Canada - The Maritimes

You - and any other folks on the forum - are more than welcome to consider joining the caravan - email me off list at bob AT williamsnet DOT org.

As with our Alaska Caravan, we will be limiting the number of RVs that can join the caravan - we are capped at 24 for Alaska and will probably have a slightly smaller Caravan for the maritimes
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
Old 06-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
While down there at Seward I'd recommend a trip thru the Train Tunnel to Whittier. Not much over there but the Glacier tours but neat to see the old Military base. And the story behind the the base and tunnel.

The Phillips 26 Glacier 1/2 day tour is well worth the $$.

Russell

Thanks I'll give that a try. My birthday is soon and I love crab legs, would you have any suggestions for a good seafood restaurant?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
How exciting!
I was born in Fairbanks (Air Force Brat), and have never been there since. I'd love to go!
Oh, and a new dually...❤️❤️❤️❤️

There are places we missed and I would like to come back one more time. The truck has stopped some things I wanted to do, I just don't trust truck anymore. If in the lower 48 it's different because you always have cell phone service, not so up here or in Canada. It sure is pretty up here, last night we were in a campground with snow capped mountains all around
Old 06-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #332

Quote:
Thanks I'll give that a try. My birthday is soon and I love crab legs, would you have any suggestions for a good seafood restaurant?
While you are in Seward, you really should visit the Exit Glacier. While there, check out the Salmon Bake Cabins restaurant - I have had some favorable reviews from my Seward Contacts about this place - - it seems to be better than the restaurants down on the docks (that cater to the cruise ships)

Here is their web site: Seward Alaska Restaurant ~ Salmon Bake Restaurant and Pub Seward AK

Off the beaten path and from what I am told excellent seafood!

Also, while you are in Seward, you really should take a kayak tour:
Alaska Sea Kayaking with Kayak Adventures Worldwide - Seward, Alaska

I recommend the 0800-1200 tour - the water is calmer and the chances for seeing wildlife greater.

If you go, ask for Trent and tell him I sent you
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
Old 06-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #333

There is no way I'm going to ever get DW on a kayak unless she is dead. But I'll try the Salmon Bake
Old 06-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #334

Roads are worse in Alaska than Canada, curtains have fell in my Cedar Creek three times in Alaska, not fun putting them back up
Old 06-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #335

Quote:
Roads are worse in Alaska than Canada, curtains have fell in my Cedar Creek three times in Alaska, not fun putting them back up
Have you even got on the Tok cutoff? If I were to do it again I would avoid that road even if it meant going up to Delta Junction and then out to Tok.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #336

Can't you go out through Chicken, AK?? Is that the Tok cut off??
Old 06-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Can't you go out through Chicken, AK?? Is that the Tok cut off??
The Tok cutoff goes from the Richardson Highway down near Glaenallen and runs through to Tok. This was by far the worst road I drove last year. Frost heaves and buckles in the road one right after another. This road makes the construction in the Yukon look like a boulevard.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:21 AM   #338

The road from Tok to Chicken starts out bad and then close to Chicken the road gets really bad. We are staying at Cantwell AK now and we wanted to drive towards Paxson and the highway disappeared, just gravel and dirt. The Alaska highway is well marked in Canada, not so in Alaska. In Alaska you will be in a bad dip in the road before you know it, you will know it's bad when you come off your seat I your vehicle. Someone told me the ferry was out at Dawson City so I didn't drive that highway with the Creek, the ferry was not out, he did me a really good favor.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:41 AM   #339

It's been a fun trip, the Silverado could be better but we have had a good time. I remember the Alaska highway when it was 1100 miles of gravel road. I would like to come back again but bring maybe $4,000.00. Things that you want to see and do are not cheap. We are taking a tour of Denali on this Thursday, the tour is $388 for two. To fly in and land on a glacier is almost $800 bucks, well that depends on your weight, if you weigh more than 239 lbs then it's 100 bucks more. We want to come back, stay a little longer and spend more money. We have met some really nice people on this trip
Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
OK Folks as promised here is the thread. We retire in 2017 and the first thing on our bucket list is a 4-6 month trip to Alaska.

Looking to Leave AL in March 2018 - Mosey through TX, NM, UT, CO, WY, SD, WY, and then enter Canada from ID in May-ish.

Who would like to plan with us? It would be nice to have at least 3-6 others to make the trip (Safety in numbers!)

No commitments at this point, let's just plan and discuss!!
Hello, Bob!

My DW and I are also planning for the 2018 Alaska Trip between May and September. I mapped out most of the route that I need to go, however, accidentally trip into your thread this morning and found that you are forming a group to go there too and we are interested. The only concern is we both are photographers, we may stop for photographic opportunities. Not sure if that would fit in with your group or not. I will send you my email address if you have a plan/schedule or some sort of itinerary, we may need to tailor our need to match with yours so we could travel together at the same time.

About us, we are RV newbies, just bought our brand new coach FR Georgetown XL 352QS last July and currently on our 4,000 miles trip for 2 months as we left Willis, TX on May 5th and currently stopping in Santa Paula, CA to visit our grandkids for 10 days before heading to Page, AZ then Silverton, CO and on...

Our main goal is also the Northen Light/Aurora, a lot of landscape and wildlife as well. Since we both are Freelance photographers, we could help anyone in the group who are interested in learning photography as well. Check out our website and hope that you enjoy it.

LeTranPhotography
Closed Thread

Tags
frog