Old 04-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #201

F.R.O.G. Caravan to Alaska in 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
The negative nellies are making me unsure of my commitment to this trip.....I've never been discouraged by others, but it sounds like we are all guaranteed to damage something on the Alcan. I believe if one uses common sense, takes some time to plan, and goes at a reasonable pace, one can enjoy the trip with little to no damage. I've talked to 3 others who have made this trip, and enjoyed themselves. Of course there are numerous sources of info about the Alcan, and I would rather use those and personal resources from others that have made the trip, without the "you will destroy your equipment" suggestions. I'm done commenting on this....now, on to the greatest adventure of our lives!

My thoughts too. I wouldn't let a few chips & possibly a broken windshield let me miss what I saw as some of the most beautiful country & sights in the USA and Canada.

I didn't go in my RV. But I did spend 10 traveling Alaska & the Yukon in a full size tour bus. Went across the Top of The World Highway then across the Yukon river on the ferry into Dawson City. We had a couple times where they were working on the roads with a short delay. No other real issues.

We rented a car prior to the bus tour and travel all of southern Alaska. No road issues at all.

So I'm sure there are chips & broken windshields. My guess is just as many or more come back without issues. Everyone I have talked to that have visited Alaska do not wish to trade that trip for anything.

I've had four coaches. Three of them had window chips ?? Those coaches weren't in Alaska. Make the trip & enjoy it.

Russell

Old 04-28-2016, 10:18 PM   #202
RetiredRVer

I'm with you both....spock123 & CAT-RN!

Old 04-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #203
CCRVOC

We made the trip to Alaska in 2007 with 6 other rigs. Yes, we had problems but with 1 exception we were able to make the repairs ourselves (the one exception had axle damage in Alberta and had to wait 3 days in Edmonton for repairs). I did have a chipped windshield - but it happened in Idaho after we got back into the states. If you see orange cones on the side of the road - SLOW DOWN - there is a frost heave there. We took our time and spent 1 month getting to Alaska (from Glacier NP), 1 month in Alaska, and 1month to get back home (KY). We had an absolutely great trip and looking forward to doing it again.
2013 - nights camped - 88; miles on CC - 9066
2014 - nights camped - 57; miles on CC - 5263
2015 - nights camped - 95; miles on CC - 11179
rockfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #204

When we rented in AK in 2009,we were told damage to the rental would not be covered if we travel the Alcan Highway.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #205
Land of the Midnightsun

I guess I shouldn't of opened my mouth but since my wife and I bought our new motor home back in January I have been pokin around some of these forums and there is a lot of talk about goin up to ak and I find a lot of the info misleading, painting a picture that is not necessarily true. All I was trying to give was first hand info. I don't want anybody not to to go but if you know what your up against it can be a very successful trip..Can you drive up and back with no major prob? Sure happens all the time. Dumb luck? Mabey or Mabey just knowing good true fact. If you think it's gonna be just like driving on rough interstate in lower 48 I find that misleading because it will set u up for failure. The only reason I said anything is because I want all ya'll to have success. I cannot tell you how many stories I've heard of people saying " I just didn't know? " and that bothers me. When my wife and I were up there last summer we were coming down from Fairbanks back to Anch on the east side ( Glenn Hwy ) after figuring out the frost heaves had just beat the entire piping for the septic system off our rented motor home. We pulled into glennallen to fuel up and I noticed 5 big 5th wheels all parked over to the side ( 40ft beautiful full paint, big diesel crew cab pick ups ) I walked over and started talking with them and they pointed out all the gouges and bad scratches they had in there paint, one had busted out his window and these scratches and gouges where 5 -6 ft long. Ask them what happened? They said they got down into one of the state rv camping areas and couldn't fit and they couldn't get backed out so they had to drag there trailers threw the trees. It happens all the time! Ak doesn't recommend any rv' s longer than 30ft long. Can you bring 45ft busses and 42ft 5th wheels to AK ? U bet. Will u have success? Mabey, Mabey not. Once again I heard them say? If I just knew? There where no signs! For ever success story coming back from AK there are several bad ones. I read earlier in this thread that they clearly mark frost heaves. No they don't you will smack them right out of blue that is misleading info. But if you are aware of them u can manage. The roads down south kenai area are better no dought but they all have pitfalls you need to be aware of. There are roughly 1000 miles of hwy's in AK that will get you from Fairbanks back down to Homer, Valdez way and back to Anch. The bigger your rig the trickier it is to get around, most rv parks in Ak are state parks and when you pull in with you showy 60ft of truck and trailer there is no fat guy that's gonna come running out and say hey u " ain't gonna make it!! " your on your own. But once again the better the info you have u can plan for this so you have SUCCESS ! We rented a 26ft class c and I got hung up in several rv parks and I lived there for 30 yrs. They don't go out and groom them or the state doesn't sit and think hmmm? The rv's are getting bigger lets get a dozer this yr and widen the road and start knocking down more trees. They have pretty much stayed the same for 50 yrs and this is a fact. Now there are privately owned rv parks and they do accommodate large rigs no prob but you have to understand there are 1000 people ahead of you, planing is everything.The bigger the rv group the more difficult it is to stay together. Chances are you'll split up in AK if you want success. Denali park is the most traveled to area for tourist. Chances are you won't be able to stay there unless u booked a spot the yr before. And another fact is you prob won't see the top, they have a AK club called the 30% club meaning only 30% of people see the top or full mountian in all its glory. And let me tell ya if you do see it? It will take your breath away. There are a ton of things that you read and hear about AK that is not correct info and it creates disappointment in tourist after they get up there.Fishing the jewel of AK the Kenai river pulling big salmon out. It won't happen the fish runs have changed dramatically over last 10yrs.. I am probably babbling but I love that place up there and I want everyone to have success going up and gettin all u can get from AK with out the disappointment or the famous " I just didn't know?" It is a place like no other just put a lot of thought into what your doing and becareful about the info you buy into. Sometimes things can go to crap in less than 30 seconds and you are along ways from home and have a ton of $$ and your equipment involved. You are the captain of your own ship and the AK trip will show you just how good you really are. And that is fact... Ok I'm done babbling carry on
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #206
Land of the Midnightsun

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	106450

That's what your after in ak
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #207
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
Attachment 106450

That's what your after in ak

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	106451

That to
Old 04-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #208
Land of the Midnightsun

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	106454

But when in AK you can count on this 10 months ago. Rare it not been raining for last 10 days. Dumb luck I guess
Old 04-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #209
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Thanks John. That's kinda what I've heard. Would love to visit, but don't think I'll do it in my rig.
X 2 but not in this life time. DW could not stand that long trip
Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 15
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #210

If you let "something bad might happen" stop you....... would you really ever leave your driveway?????
So common sense needs to be standard operating procedure. Yes! But that is true where ever you go.
To all of you lucky enough to go on this trip I say: GO! Be careful and Have fun! Life is too short to not live it to the fullest while you still can!
Karen

RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog