Old 04-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #211

I have damaged my campers in the lower 48 enough to know the body shop guy's first name. I have insurance for doing dumb things. If I worried about something bad going wrong I wouldn't even leave the driveway. I was stationed in Alaska at Ft Greely, I did some dumb things then and I'll probably do some more on this trip. I need a new camper anyway and a new truck, my camper is only about 18 months old. I'm going to have fun, I plan to leave camper in Fairbanks and drive the Dalton Highway in truck. I am just taking the truck back next March just to see the Northern Lights, I love driving on a frozen road and most of all I love snow!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
The negative nellies are making me unsure of my commitment to this trip.....I've never been discouraged by others, but it sounds like we are all guaranteed to damage something on the Alcan. I believe if one uses common sense, takes some time to plan, and goes at a reasonable pace, one can enjoy the trip with little to no damage. I've talked to 3 others who have made this trip, and enjoyed themselves. Of course there are numerous sources of info about the Alcan, and I would rather use those and personal resources from others that have made the trip, without the "you will destroy your equipment" suggestions. I'm done commenting on this....now, on to the greatest adventure of our lives!

I realize that the AlCan and AK are like no other driving experiences in the USA. As former military and current Army civilian, I have been all over the world and driven in some pretty "interesting" places (Kenya and Korea coming quickly to mind ) I am certain the driving experience will be part of the adventure (I invite folks to check out Gone with the Wynns website - they did a LOT of video while they were on the road last summer, so you will get a very good picture of how travel was from the perspective of their Fleetwood Motorhome.

I have seen numerous pictures of RVs on the road in AK: Prevost, Monaco, Newmar, & of course Berkshire/Coachmen motorhomes, DRV Mobile Suites, Redwood, Cardinal and other 5th wheels are all seen in numerous AK caravan photos. So people DO take nice RVs up the AlCan. Do they have damage? Possibly, perhaps probably. This is why we buy insurance.

As Spock has said, we are not planning on setting any land speed records on this trip

And, like the others have said, this will be the trip of a lifetime, so let's plan well and prepare for a wonderful caravan and life experience.

Ah, speaking of insurance...I have been in direct contact with Coach-Net and we are in the process of working up road hazard/repair plan to be offered to the Caravan members. Stay tuned!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #213

Having followed numerous travel blogs from folks who rv'd to Alaska I believe like you Bob that with some good planning this trip is doable with little to no problems.

Pretrip preventative maintenance will go along way to help preclude any maintenance issues. New tires with a good spare, closely inspect the suspension for spring wear and cracks, on 5r's and TT's take a good look at the frame around the spring hangers for cracks, also on pull behinds this might be a good time to replace the wheel bearings and bearing races. Pretty much the same maintenance inspection you do at the beginning of every camping season except replace or repair anything that is suspected of being worn out.

The biggest thing I've learned about the trip is to slow down relax and enjoy the trip.

Bill
Old 05-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop11 View Post
Having followed numerous travel blogs from folks who rv'd to Alaska I believe like you Bob that with some good planning this trip is doable with little to no problems.

Pretrip preventative maintenance will go along way to help preclude any maintenance issues. New tires with a good spare, closely inspect the suspension for spring wear and cracks, on 5r's and TT's take a good look at the frame around the spring hangers for cracks, also on pull behinds this might be a good time to replace the wheel bearings and bearing races. Pretty much the same maintenance inspection you do at the beginning of every camping season except replace or repair anything that is suspected of being worn out.

The biggest thing I've learned about the trip is to slow down relax and enjoy the trip.

Bill,

Precisely! This is why we have built into the itinerary a suggested "Pre-Caravan" 2 day stay in Great Falls. This will be the place to change oil, and inspect/correct any issues. It is a big enough city so you can get Amazon Prime parts shipments, and Great Falls has 3 RV dealerships. Motorhome owners who need service or a checkup can stop in Billings at inland truck or Owan's truck and trailer before heading to Great Falls.

Between all of us, we hope to come up with a plan that will cover all contingencies
Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #215

Made this trip in 2014. 11000 miles, 50+ days. If you are interested in traveling to Alaska, do not hesitate or be afraid. The trip is part of the great adventure. Anything you break or tear up can be fixed or replaced. That's what insurance is for. I know---because I killed one a/c unit and two stabilizing jacks. Very upsetting but part of the trip. Most roads are as good as you will find in the US. One of our worse places was in Wyoming! I65 through Birmingham is as bad as anything we faced up north. I'm from Alabama so I know I65. You will have frost heaves especially in the Yukon, they they are clearly flagged. Just slow down. You are on vacation, a trip of your lifetime, not Daytona speedway. You will see black bear, stone sheep, moose, elk, fox, caribou, deer, antelope, and no telling what else. I could go on for hours about this trip, but my advise is to just go. Just go. I promise you that you will never forget the great time and wonderful, beautiful creation. JUST GO!
Old 05-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #216

Ok, I think we are all convinced that are going. So anymore Ney Sayers out there, go somewhere else.....Please. Alleh..freaken' lluia.

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #217

We plan to exchange $500.00 at my local bank for Canadian money before we go. The question is that enough or more or less

Old 05-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
We plan to exchange $500.00 at my local bank for Canadian money before we go. The question is that enough or more or less
The exchange rate is so good right now we already picked up $500CD at our local Suntrust bank. If we go beyond that amount we'll resort to credit cards if need be...
RedLdr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #219

I also have two credit cards that don't charge a foreign transaction fee plus we will take cash. We have two smart phones and we have Verizon for our carrier, I have found out it costs two bucks a day to have cell service in Canada. We plan to cut my phone off and use DW phone, she has the better phone, takes better pictures.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
The exchange rate is so good right now we already picked up $500CD at our local Suntrust bank. If we go beyond that amount we'll resort to credit cards if need be...
X2!

had to be different, we got $800

But yes, pick up the cash now - we bought in JAN and the $800CDN cost us $544! I think the rate has gone up slightly but it is still better than it has been in years (and my heart goes out to our Canadian FROGs! The exchange rate is a killer for them when they come to the USA )

Tags
frog