Old 09-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #291
Mod free 5er

Every solution has a problem.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac1951 View Post
Some advice to those going from someone who has been there and done that.

This will be one unbelieveable, unforgettable trip. It take a huge amount of time and work to put something like this together. Mistakes in the planning and execution will probably be made. BamaBob is only human. But, that is part of the adventure--working together and overcoming problems. Lifelong friendships will be formed from this adventure.

This adventure will also be tiring and long. I do mean at times you will become weary. I had to learn patience and to roll with the punches. You will see all kinds of wildlife, snowcapped mountains, beautiful flowers, remote empyiness, rain, and road construction. Just slow down, smile, and roll roll roll.

I am not a part of this caravan, but I have followed it online since it started. Wish all a safe and happy trip.
Thanks for the kind words and sage advice from someone who has "been there and done that" pleas feel free to continue giving us you voice of experience.

One small correction though. Pete Storrie (JPSPete20) is my partner in this adventure and is doing a lions share of the work and planning...this is definitely not a BamaBob solo production!

I am also fortunate that Pete has been to Alaska via the AlCan before so I do have an experienced Senior Scout to rely on.

I have spoken to a number of folks who have made this trip and I can hardly wait to go! Even though it is 18 months away, the trip is getting real! Over the past week - we have made our first campground reservations in Calgary and in Alaska!

We're on our way already!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #293

Bob. I've been up there on 21 day trip. 7 days on my own 14 day cruise with 10 of the 14 days on land. Its an unbelievable vacation.

I most likely not do the trip in my RV but sure would recommend a trip up there to everyone.

As to your group. There are lots of armchair quarterbacks to help you. Most all have their own ideas. Most are good ideas. Probably not a wrong way to do it. When it over I'll bet 100% of those going will rave about the trip. Troubles. Yep. But that just part of life.

Enjoy your planning with your group.

Russell
Old 09-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Bob. I've been up there on 21 day trip. 7 days on my own 14 day cruise with 10 of the 14 days on land. Its an unbelievable vacation.

I most likely not do the trip in my RV but sure would recommend a trip up there to everyone.

As to your group. There are lots of armchair quarterbacks to help you. Most all have their own ideas. Most are good ideas. Probably not a wrong way to do it. When it over I'll bet 100% of those going will rave about the trip. Troubles. Yep. But that just part of life.

Enjoy your planning with your group.
Thanks for the words of support Russell!

Yeah, we may be looking for a 2018 1/2 Berk after the trip LOL ( Dave will love us )

We are really fortunate in having folks on the trip who are experienced The Armchair quarterbacks have no idea how much backchannel work we have done (we have contacted and spoke with every campground we plan to stay at and even have several of them confirming our reservations now!)

The "FROG Rally" idea of coordinating campgrounds and then having individual rigs call and reserve is a nightmare plan! We have spoke to several folks who have ben on rallies like that and nothing but horror stories! Lost and missing reservations, forgotten reservations and overbooked reservations are all we heard. No thanks!

There may be folks out there (who have no clue how much work we have in this trip) who think it is just a series of reservations that need to be made but all I can say after over a year of planning is... they have NO idea
Old 09-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #295
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Thanks for the words of support Russell!

Yeah, we may be looking for a 2018 1/2 Berk after the trip LOL ( Dave will love us )

We are really fortunate in having folks on the trip who are experienced The Armchair quarterbacks have no idea how much backchannel work we have done (we have contacted and spoke with every campground we plan to stay at and even have several of them confirming our reservations now!)

The "FROG Rally" idea of coordinating campgrounds and then having individual rigs call and reserve is a nightmare plan! We have spoke to several folks who have ben on rallies like that and nothing but horror stories! Lost and missing reservations, forgotten reservations and overbooked reservations are all we heard. No thanks!

There may be folks out there (who have no clue how much work we have in this trip) who think it is just a series of reservations that need to be made but all I can say after over a year of planning is... they have NO idea
What y'all are doing is awesome and I wish you nothing but the best! Many Kudos to you and Pete!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #296

I'm sure everyone will have a good time on this trip to Alaska and I'm looking forward to seeing all the pictures. DW and I love meeting new people. When I first retired to make some extra money I became a substitute teacher and you better know how to talk to strangers. I had fun then and I have fun seeing different places and meeting different people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I'm sure everyone will have a good time on this trip to Alaska and I'm looking forward to seeing all the pictures. DW and I love meeting new people. When I first retired to make some extra money I became a substitute teacher and you better know how to talk to strangers. I had fun then and I have fun seeing different places and meeting different people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
When we head out in 2018, I promise we will have a Blog Similar to Capt Mike's that will detail every twist and turn in the Journey!!
Old 09-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #298

Quote:
When we head out in 2018, I promise we will have a Blog Similar to Capt Mike's that will detail every twist and turn in the Journey!!
Thanks, Bob!

"The World is a Book and Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only One Page."
--- St. Augustine
Read our blog, Road Stories, at
Road Stories
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Thanks, Bob!

--- St. Augustine
Road Stories
Road Stories is one of the best Blogs I have read! So I have to ask, which one of you is the photographer?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #300

Quote:
Road Stories is one of the best Blogs I have read! So I have to ask, which one of you is the photographer?
Mostly Yvonne. She takes most of the pictures, and writes the first and second draft of every edition.

I edit her photos, add most of the photo captions and a lot of the statistical details, and edit her text.

We do the final edit of the text together.

(Coming soon: Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.)

And thanks for the compliment.

--- St. Augustine
Road Stories

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog