Old 06-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #31

Sounds like a plan. Been there 3 times including up the Alcan in 1976 when it was really rough. Stayed there the whole summer that time and have flown up for shorter trips twice since then. Timing is about right since I will be retiring for the second time about then. I'll look forward to following this thread but it seems that older threads get archived or something. What can be done to keep this alive for a couple years.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #32

Understood all - this is a work in progress and we are SO delighted to see that there is a good deal of interest in this!!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:50 PM   #33

I would love to make this drive but can't convince my DH, and I do all the driving, a win win for him. What I have done 3 times is fly to Anchorage and rent a motorhome. If you book and pay at the right time for the next year you can get it for about 50% off during that time period. We have paid around $100 a night and no extra charge for mileage! The MH is stocked with bedding, towels and all the kitchen supplies you could possibly need.

Maybe those that can't get the time off for a drive up would join you in Alaska somewhere and enjoy themselves at that times.

Also, September has good Aurora viewing. If you are interested, I can give you the name of a man and his wife who run nightly tours to find Auroras. I was there this past March and went out on 3 different tours that he offers. We were even on the Dalton Highway, aka Trucker's Ice Road to the Arctic Circle. The Auroras were absolutely amazing. I had 7 nights of spectacular lights. They teach you how to use your camera and set it up for great shots.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #34

Definitely interested, just wish it was a year or so earlier. Keep the post up, Alaska is on the list along with SW area. Will talk to you at one of the three rallies we will be at with you.
Dave and Lynda and our new rescued puppy, Pepper. Took her out this weekend to Gubtersville Lake, she loved it. Going to be a natural.
Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 77, 2017 = 11
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #35

Good plan Bob. Teri and I would like to go from Key West to Alaska one day (when she retires). But we may not make it out of Florida as baseball spring training presents a big temptation! Anyway, that trip would be great with some great experiences and scenery. In the meantime, we are now planning on a trip to Reelfoot Lake in TN soon.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #36

It's on our bucket list; so keep us posted with plans and ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-18-2015, 12:05 AM   #37

Alaska bound

Doing it this year. Left White Rock BC on June 2 and Mile 635 on the Alaska Hey tonight. We are doing the Kenai Peninsula and Anchorage area first and then north through the Park to Fairbanks, then north to Deadhorse and returning through Dawson City and ultimately Hwy37 and home. Expect to return early September.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #38

Keep me in the loop. I am Viet Nam vet also (US NAVY - 25 years). See youin Nashville.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleydoo View Post
I would love to make this drive but can't convince my DH, and I do all the driving, a win win for him. What I have done 3 times is fly to Anchorage and rent a motorhome. If you book and pay at the right time for the next year you can get it for about 50% off during that time period. We have paid around $100 a night and no extra charge for mileage! The MH is stocked with bedding, towels and all the kitchen supplies you could possibly need.

Maybe those that can't get the time off for a drive up would join you in Alaska somewhere and enjoy themselves at that times.

Also, September has good Aurora viewing. If you are interested, I can give you the name of a man and his wife who run nightly tours to find Auroras. I was there this past March and went out on 3 different tours that he offers. We were even on the Dalton Highway, aka Trucker's Ice Road to the Arctic Circle. The Auroras were absolutely amazing. I had 7 nights of spectacular lights. They teach you how to use your camera and set it up for great shots.
Bonnie,

Thanks I would love that aurora info from you! We were "told" that Sept was a bad month then another told us Sept was one of the 2 best months

Seeing the Aurora was our only justification for staying in Fairbanks (or driving back up from another point in AK) in Sept -- it's starting to get cold then and we have some friends we are trying to convince to go with us that just do not do cold well at all.

Hey - fly & RV is a great idea for those who are not bound and determined to check the AlCan off the bucket list - I would like that info as well IOT start my Alaska options file
Old 06-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior3 View Post
Keep me in the loop. I am Viet Nam vet also (US NAVY - 25 years). See youin Nashville.
Hey (Seniorchief?) looking forward to meeting you in Nashville!

For those who are interested in going on this jaunt in 2018, drop me a line at bob AT williamsnet DOT org so I can start up a email list of people interested in going!

Tags
frog