Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
Doing it this year. Left White Rock BC on June 2 and Mile 635 on the Alaska Hey tonight. We are doing the Kenai Peninsula and Anchorage area first and then north through the Park to Fairbanks, then north to Deadhorse and returning through Dawson City and ultimately Hwy37 and home. Expect to return early September.
Filterman,

Keep us posted - feel free to use this thread as your blog

and remember....

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #42

Thumbs up Denali!

Quote:
Doing it this year. Left White Rock BC on June 2 and Mile 635 on the Alaska Hey tonight. We are doing the Kenai Peninsula and Anchorage area first and then north through the Park to Fairbanks, then north to Deadhorse and returning through Dawson City and ultimately Hwy37 and home. Expect to return early September.
Do the bus tour of Denali, it's unbelievable! It fills up very quickly, so reserve a spot as soon as possible. Keep us posted on your trip.

Northern Illinois
longhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #43

North to Alaska

We live in Mobile and would love to caravan to Alaska. We'll be at Cheaha Mt. in our TT starting June 30. I noticed an invite to Gadsden to discuss. If invited we would love to attend between July 1 and July 8.
I sent the original poster a private email. I don't know if it was received.
We are both retired and available in 2018 with no problems as of now. Please let me know if you want my contact information.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #44

Dates Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
OK Folks as promised here is the thread. We retire in 2017 and the first thing on our bucket list is a 4-6 month trip to Alaska.

Looking to Leave AL in March 2018 - Mosey through TX, NM, UT, CO, WY, SD, WY, and then enter Canada from ID in May-ish.

Who would like to plan with us? It would be nice to have at least 3-6 others to make the trip (Safety in numbers!)

No commitments at this point, let's just plan and discuss!!
Just a comment on the dates. When we went in 2014, our group left Dawson Creek, the start of the Alcan, on the 19th of June. We came back through around the first of August. It snowed in Anchorage on Labor Day. Winter can come quickly. I wouldn't push the departure too far into September.

Pete
Old 06-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #45

Alaska Road Trip

Quote:
I have plans to do the same but still a couple of years off. Would love to see a journal of your trip, expenses, stops, interesting things to see, etc. Enjoy and I hope everything goes well. Stay safe.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #46
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Well it sounds like a nice trip would love to go,but to long even tho I like to travel. Wife can't stay out that long. Also hate to have to pay over $200 for pass ports. Hope ya all keep us posted when the trip begins. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 27
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #47
CCRVOC

Bob, we did the trip in 2007 so we might be ready to go again by 2018. We can discuss more at BamaGanza in Oct.
2013 - nights camped - 88; miles on CC - 9066
2014 - nights camped - 57; miles on CC - 5263
2015 - nights camped - 95; miles on CC - 11179
rockfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #48

Alaska Bound

This sounds like a great idea. It may work right into my retirement plans as well. I plan to retire in the same time frame and the wife and I had discussed doing the same thing. Keep me in the loop on your plans and any need to know info. Looking forward to it and making new friends.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #49

By way the responses sound it could turn into quite a large caravan.
It is also on our bucket list but don't retire until 2020.
This is the fun of rv'ing. Full of excitement and adventure.
Have fun and safe travels.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Bonnie,

Thanks I would love that aurora info from you! We were "told" that Sept was a bad month then another told us Sept was one of the 2 best months

Seeing the Aurora was our only justification for staying in Fairbanks (or driving back up from another point in AK) in Sept -- it's starting to get cold then and we have some friends we are trying to convince to go with us that just do not do cold well at all.

Hey - fly & RV is a great idea for those who are not bound and determined to check the AlCan off the bucket list - I would like that info as well IOT start my Alaska options file
Hi Bob and Anne-Marie,

At least going in September will be warmer. When I arrived in March it was minus 36. But it was worth every degree below zero to get the shots I did.

The photographer is www.ronnmurrayphoto.com They have a nice van but it only holds about 8 people. He picks everyone up and heads out to the best spots. They stay out a little longer if the Auroras are performing well. The first company I went out with worked by the clock. As soon as you know when you would be in Fairbanks I would make reservations. Fall is good as well as March because they are the equinox times. At that time you could get some nice shots with reflections on lakes or ponds. Ronn starts his Aurora tours late August.

Also, heading south gives you different views of Denali. There are some nice ponds along the road for reflection shots.

The motorhome company is www.abcmotorhome.com Sign up for e-mails so you can find out about their specials. They don't advertise the really low fall price till September-October, or you can call them.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yukon auroras.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	80555  

Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog