Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #181
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
Just a brief observation about your comment for the Alcan highway....From what I have read, and blogs regarding the Alcan, plus folks I have talked to that have traveled the highway, I think you may have over stated the current condition of the road. Since the original highway was gravel and dirt, I hardly think it could be in worse condition then the original road. (Isn't it all paved now?) Maybe you could be a little clearer describing what the road is really like, and what we can expect during our travels on the Alcan. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
Just a brief observation about your comment for the Alcan highway....From what I have read, and blogs regarding the Alcan, plus folks I have talked to that have traveled the highway, I think you may have over stated the current condition of the road. Since the original highway was gravel and dirt, I hardly think it could be in worse condition then the original road. (Isn't it all paved now?) Maybe you could be a little clearer describing what the road is really like, and what we can expect during our travels on the Alcan. Thanks!

I guess what I was driven at was? The Alcan has always been a crap shoot. Last yr they had more pavement tor up than at any other time. But on other hand a lot of gravel sections can be better than pavement. The frost heaves will eat your lunch becareful. Weather is a huge factor it can do nothing but rain for days and weeks on end with no sun to dry things up. Alaska also. The only time they can work on roads or hwy's is summer and here come all the tourists. You will find construction areas any where from 1 mile of gravel to 20 miles of gravel. Mabey you hit it right and they just bladed gravel and sun been out for couple days or Mabey it been raining for week and the first 10 mile stretch of gravel you get to is washboarded and huge pot holes, mud up to your hips? It changes on a dime but no matter how you cut it not any rv you can buy is built for those conditions. Chances are you will get damage. There will be times you'll hit one way traffic where you'll sit for hr or so while opposite traffic comes by and can be very slow going. Some will fly across the mud and leave rocks flying everywhere, there goes your windshield headlight and your grill just took one in the kisser. I will prob get beat up for this but motor homes and there chassis do the best. 5th wheels and trailers with there small axils have problems. Prepare for mud a lot of it. Most of us carry spares up underneath on a cable system. Pull them down and carry back of pick up or inside Moho Chances are you will get a flat and forget cell phones and road side service. Just sit in mud and change your tire like rest of us. The Alcan used to be 1700 miles and since 2011 or 2012 they have shortened it up to about 1400 miles I think but it is still a long ride and Alaska hwy's aren't much better. My wife and I went back to AK last summer for 3 weeks and flew into Anch and rented Moho and driving from nort pole back down to matinuska glacier the frost heaves in road beat the sewer pipe off the back and I never drove faster than 40 mph. The entire pipe and vales broke off black tank and grey tank. It was rough and a lot of road construction but I had the luxury of not owning rig and stopped in Anch where we rented it and they fixed it and on south we went. They are forever working on roads in AK and the Alcan temps always range every yr from 40-50 below to 80-90 above and it is hell on the roads. I have seen a lot of summers in AK where the sun never comes out it is over cast and rain everyday last summer was a freak summer it was sunny everyday and 85-90 degree weather it couldn't of been better down south Kenai was sunny and little cooler. There are 2 ways you can experience AK you can follow the tourist trail or get off the beatin path. Since i had the experience of growing up in AK I showed my wife the time of her life. In 3 week period we hikes over 120 miles Alaska is so enjoying on foot. I recommend that. Study that miles post it has a lot of AK secrets. I did a lot of talking to other rv folks that drove up and most won't do it again and a lot were going to ship there rigs out but like I said it's a crap shoot. The stories of driving up can be bad and those of us that live there have heard them all. Expect the very worst but hope for the best it is a hard drive and your coming into harder country.
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #182
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thanks John. That's kinda what I've heard. Would love to visit, but don't think I'll do it in my rig.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #183

Alcan Travel

Just some comments. My wife and I went from Texas to Alaska in 2014. In total just over 12,000 miles for the trip as we did not take a direct route but took in much of Western Canada as well. We were driving a 2011 F250 diesel and pulling a 2011 Salam 27 RKSS. Total rig length of almost 53 feet.

The Yukon and the Alaska interior must be seen to be believed. All of it is beautiful and the wildlife can't be seen anywhere else. The road traffic is down as many now fly in and rent. However, if you do this, you do not see the Yukon and it is as least as pretty as Alaska and in some cases even better.

We traveled alone to Dawson Creek, the beginning of the Alcan, and then joined a group of nineteen rigs. The rigs ranged from a camper van to multiple Newmars. Roughly half of the group were full timers. We stayed with the group going up the Alcan and around the upper Alaska tour loop to Anchorage. At anchorage, we split off and did our own thing for several weeks and then headed back down the Alcan and home to Texas.

We did have some rainy days, but we left Dawson Creek on the 23rd of June and generally had sunshine and upper 60s, or low 70s, most days. Most of the jackets and such that we took were just along for the ride. We adapted to the Temps. and spent most days in T-shirts and shorts.

All of the highways in Alaska are paved and on "solid ground". All of the Alcan is stated to be paved and it is. However, some of the paving consists of gravel with a "chip seal" oil based mixture over the top. These areas are not bad. There are stretches of construction. In several places the Alcan is built up over permafrost. These areas do build up "ripples" and require maintenance. Obviously, that work may only be done in the summer, so there are some delays for "one way" travel. As in any construction area, you just slow down. Regardless, bras are recommend for motorhomes and toads. The gravel will cause chips and as the Alcan is all "two lane", some idiot will go speeding by in the opposite direction and you will get a rock chip in the windshield.

When in doubt, slow down and any rig will do just fine. There are literally thousands of RVs that still go up and down the Alcan each summer and the trip is worthwhile. My wife and I will be going back. We are helping to plan the "Frogs to Alaska 2018" tour and are looking forward to the trip. Our basic plan is a fifty day loop beginning in Dawson Creek and ending back there. For those that want to stay in Alaska longer, they may split off as we did. The trip plan includes Dawson City, Yukon and a return to Whitehorse via the Taylor Highway seeing even more of the Yukon and not repeating the top half of the Alcan.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #184
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Thanks John. That's kinda what I've heard. Would love to visit, but don't think I'll do it in my rig.
I don't type well or put my thoughts well onto paper so to speak and I'm in no way trying to discourage anyone from driving up but I read a lot of these threads about AK and driving up and a lot of info is kind of misleading. Just in this thread there was a man few pages back that said it beat crap out of his Moho and tore his paint up and comments that followed almost called him a lier. He is telling the truth it is a very real possibility. Parts are hard to come by you are not in lower 48 where ups man will be there in 24hr period you can wait a week or more for what you need to carry on. This is a reality but I never read much about these issues.Don't run off up to Alaska wearing rose colored glasses or it can turn into a nightmare. If you understand what your up against and all the possible pit falls it can be a trip of a lifetime. My wife and I bought our first Moho this last January and if you would ask me if I'd drive up? I'd say no. To be very honest last summer when we went back for 3 weeks from round trip air fair ( Texas ) to renting a Moho for 19 days to everything we did halibut charter, salmon fishing we put the Spurs to Alaska we spent right at 12,000$ compared to if you drive up? There is a real possibility you can spend that in repairs and I promise you no matter what you drive up by the time you get back to lower 48 it will not be the same rig you left in. My folks move from Dallas tx to anchorage in 1975 I was in the 8th grade, by the time I was 16 yrs old I caught my first 65lb king salmon by the time I was 17 I had shot my first griz when I was 18 I got on airplane flew up above artic circle to start work in the most prestigious oil field in the world. 23 yrs later I retire from the North Slope I know AK well and I tell it like it is. Becareful driving up it can be a Beast!

Sent from my iPad
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #185

Pete,

Thanks for the report on your exploits to Alaska in 2014.

A road trip to Alaska is probably on every RV'ers wish list, at least. While I have not driven the whole AlCan, I have the benefit of having seen AK & parts of the Yukon Territory when I was in the military. From what I saw then, I was determined to make the trek (and OMG that was back in the '80s - so you can only imagine how the roads were then!) The Army agency I work for has units stationed at Ft. Wainwright & Ft Greely, so I have had the opportunity to see that part of AK and side trips to the YT several times during my career.

As Anne-Marie and I approached retirement (next year!!) we started talking more and more about Alaska and the "Roadtrip of a Lifetime." Last year we decided this was going to be the 1st major trip we took when we retired. I did a heck of a lot of research, subscribed to the 2015 & 2016 MilePost and I am on waaaaay too many "Alaska Tourist" email lists

During my research, I decided to start this thread in the FRF. One of the first people who joined the FROG! To Alaska group Was Pete (JPSPete20). Pete and I have become great friends over the past year and have extensively discussed and planned the Alaska trip. Honestly, I do not think the caravan to Alaska would be half as organized as it is now without Pete's help. For that I am forever indebted to you buddy!

Pete has had the opportunity to caravan to Alaska (as you read in his post), and we have several other "veterans" of the AlCan in the FROG! To Alaska group.

John (jjspeedwagon),

Thanks for your wonderful insight from a Alaskan native's point of view. I absolutely do not want to plan Alaska with rose-colored glasses (I think that is why I have been so obsessive in my research )

I appreciate your insights and they will certainly factor in our planning! I also invite you join the group as a "voice of reason" - if you see the rose-colored glasses coming out, you can throw down on us!

I agree that many stretches of the AlCan are "Cell Free" zones This is why several of the rigs planning the trip (ours included) will have amateur "ham" radio licenses just in case...

Quote:
Tim,

You may want to take a look at the "Gone With The Wynn's" website.

Jason & Nikki Wynn did a great video travelogue of their experiences. You can draw your own conclusions from their reports. And, nearer & dearer to your heart, they did the trip in the Fleetwood analog to your Georgetown!

Oh...and they took their Fleetwood on the Top Of The World Highway (completely unpaved, gravel) and the Taylor Highway to Chicken, AK (with long stretches of wash-board gravel roads).

The good news is, they made it back to the lower 48 all in one piece (save 1 flat tire and a chip in the windshield.) (Yes, I fully expect a chipped windshield - a small price for the experience IMHO--besides, that's what insurance is for).

Here is a link to the Wynn's Alaskan Adventure website

Alaska Bound

Finallly...Yes, there are undoubetly parts of the AlCan that are going to be slow-going, but I will bet that I-10 in S AL & LA is a trip comparable to (if not worse than) the AlCan -- just say'n

Oh - one more tidbit to share:

FAQ: Driving the Alaska Highway - The MILEPOST
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
Old 04-27-2016, 02:11 PM   #186
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Pete,

Thanks for the report on your exploits to Alaska in 2014.

A road trip to Alaska is probably on every RV'ers wish list, at least. While I have not driven the whole AlCan, I have the benefit of having seen AK & parts of the Yukon Territory when I was in the military. From what I saw then, I was determined to make the trek (and OMG that was back in the '80s - so you can only imagine how the roads were then!) The Army agency I work for has units stationed at Ft. Wainwright & Ft Greely, so I have had the opportunity to see that part of AK and side trips to the YT several times during my career.

As Anne-Marie and I approached retirement (next year!!) we started talking more and more about Alaska and the "Roadtrip of a Lifetime." Last year we decided this was going to be the 1st major trip we took when we retired. I did a heck of a lot of research, subscribed to the 2015 & 2016 MilePost and I am on waaaaay too many "Alaska Tourist" email lists

During my research, I decided to start this thread in the FRF. One of the first people who joined the FROG! To Alaska group Was Pete (JPSPete20). Pete and I have become great friends over the past year and have extensively discussed and planned the Alaska trip. Honestly, I do not think the caravan to Alaska would be half as organized as it is now without Pete's help. For that I am forever indebted to you buddy!

Pete has had the opportunity to caravan to Alaska (as you read in his post), and we have several other "veterans" of the AlCan in the FROG! To Alaska group.

John (jjspeedwagon),

Thanks for your wonderful insight from a Alaskan native's point of view. I absolutely do not want to plan Alaska with rose-colored glasses (I think that is why I have been so obsessive in my research )

I appreciate your insights and they will certainly factor in our planning! I also invite you join the group as a "voice of reason" - if you see the rose-colored glasses coming out, you can throw down on us!

I agree that many stretches of the AlCan are "Cell Free" zones This is why several of the rigs planning the trip (ours included) will have amateur "ham" radio licenses just in case...

Tim,

You may want to take a look at the "Gone With The Wynn's" website.

Jason & Nikki Wynn did a great video travelogue of their experiences. You can draw your own conclusions from their reports. And, nearer & dearer to your heart, they did the trip in the Fleetwood analog to your Georgetown!

Oh...and they took their Fleetwood on the Top Of The World Highway (completely unpaved, gravel) and the Taylor Highway to Chicken, AK (with long stretches of wash-board gravel roads).

The good news is, they made it back to the lower 48 all in one piece (save 1 flat tire and a chip in the windshield.) (Yes, I fully expect a chipped windshield - a small price for the experience IMHO--besides, that's what insurance is for).

Here is a link to the Wynn's Alaskan Adventure website

Alaska Bound

Finallly...Yes, there are undoubetly parts of the AlCan that are going to be slow-going, but I will bet that I-10 in S AL & LA is a trip comparable to (if not worse than) the AlCan -- just say'n

Oh - one more tidbit to share:

FAQ: Driving the Alaska Highway - The MILEPOST
Umm? I'm not an Alaskan native....I'm a white guy. An Alaska native is an Indian. You better do some more studying up on AK. Lol
Old 04-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
Umm? I'm not an Alaskan native....I'm a white guy. You better do some more studying up on AK. Lol
Didn't call you a Native American (or First Nation) now, did I?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
Old 04-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #188
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Didn't call you a Native American (or First Nation) now, did I?

Study Bob study. You'll figure it out An Alaska native is an Indian or Eskimo there are several different identifying tribes of Indians in AK
Old 04-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #189
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Study Bob study. You'll figure it out An Alaska native is an Indian or Eskimo there are several different identifying tribes of Indians in AK

Even if Bob was trying to imply that you were "native to Ak" (born there), that also is not true, as didn't you say you moved there from TX at a young age?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #190
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Even if Bob was trying to imply that you were "native to Ak" (born there), that also is not true, as didn't you say you moved there from TX at a young age?

Yes I moved to Anch in 1975 when I was in 8th grade. I lived in Alaska about 30yrs. I was just teasin bob but ak native is an Alaskan Indian. I moved back to Tex 12 yrs ago. And just for record. I lived in Anch in the 80's graduated high school 1980 just like bob said he was up there in the 80's and roads were so horrible? Well ? I was back in Ak 10 months ago and the roads haven't changed one bit since the 80's. But if you were getting good first hand info you would know this.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #191
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Yes I moved to Anch in 1975 when I was in 8th grade. I lived in Alaska about 30yrs. I was just teasin bob but ak native is an Alaskan Indian. I moved back to Tex 12 yrs ago. And just for record. I lived in Anch in the 80's graduated high school 1980 just like bob said he was up there in the 80's and roads were so horrible? Well ? I was back in Ak 10 months ago and the roads haven't changed one bit since the 80's. But if you were getting good first hand info you would know this.

I knew you were ribbing Bob, just as I was. When the opportunity presents itself, you gotta run with it! 😀

Old 04-27-2016, 05:24 PM   #192
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
I knew you were ribbing Bob, just as I was. When the opportunity presents itself, you gotta run with it! 😀

But it is true an Alaska native is an Alaskan Indian
Old 04-28-2016, 09:08 AM   #193

Speedwagon is right.

Everyone needs understand. Speedwagon is right. Anything can happen. It is a long way, the roads aren't interstate highways, it will rain, there may be a forest fire, a volcano may erupt and you might leave your wife at some roadside viewpoint. My point is that the same problems may happen anywhere. On our trip, while stopped for a "walk around", one of the members left his rig in drive. Yep, it decided to roll slightly downhill and hit another rig. Both were slightly damaged. It was the fourth trip from Texas to Alaska for the guy that left it in drive.

Speedwagon is also correct that if you break something it may take longer to get parts. However, Good Sam, Coach Net and others have very good coverage and many of the Alaskans make their living off of the summer visitors. They know that it is important to keep the visitors moving and coming. On our trip one trailer hit a large pothole between Fairbanks and Denali. The result was a broken spring and a bent axle. They were stopped in a small roadside paved area. GS sent out a truck with a mechanic to change the spring and to escort the rig back to Fairbanks. While waiting for the mechanic, the owner called the Fairbanks dealership that GS recommended. The dealership had no parts and estimated a week. However, the dealership recommended a place in Anchorage. Upon calling that company, it was discovered that they specialize in suspension work and had everything needed to replace the axle. The GS dispatched mechanic arrived and replaced the broken spring. It was completed at 3:30 in the morning. The folks spent the rest of the night, went on to Denali and then drove slowly to Anchorage. It took the suspension specialists less than four hours to replace the complete rear axle assembly.

My message is that things can happen. It might be a paint chip, a windshield crack or something major like having a bolt break on your toad hitch (watched that happen, check those carefully and often). If you need work, there are people there who can handle the job. If you are careful, take things slowly and exercise reasonable precautions the odds are very high that anything that happens will be minor and will be far outweighed by your experiences and the grandeur of the Yukon and Alaska.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #194

X2

Old 04-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #195
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSPete20 View Post
Everyone needs understand. Speedwagon is right. Anything can happen. It is a long way, the roads aren't interstate highways, it will rain, there may be a forest fire, a volcano may erupt and you might leave your wife at some roadside viewpoint. My point is that the same problems may happen anywhere. On our trip, while stopped for a "walk around", one of the members left his rig in drive. Yep, it decided to roll slightly downhill and hit another rig. Both were slightly damaged. It was the fourth trip from Texas to Alaska for the guy that left it in drive.

Speedwagon is also correct that if you break something it may take longer to get parts. However, Good Sam, Coach Net and others have very good coverage and many of the Alaskans make their living off of the summer visitors. They know that it is important to keep the visitors moving and coming. On our trip one trailer hit a large pothole between Fairbanks and Denali. The result was a broken spring and a bent axle. They were stopped in a small roadside paved area. GS sent out a truck with a mechanic to change the spring and to escort the rig back to Fairbanks. While waiting for the mechanic, the owner called the Fairbanks dealership that GS recommended. The dealership had no parts and estimated a week. However, the dealership recommended a place in Anchorage. Upon calling that company, it was discovered that they specialize in suspension work and had everything needed to replace the axle. The GS dispatched mechanic arrived and replaced the broken spring. It was completed at 3:30 in the morning. The folks spent the rest of the night, went on to Denali and then drove slowly to Anchorage. It took the suspension specialists less than four hours to replace the complete rear axle assembly.

My message is that things can happen. It might be a paint chip, a windshield crack or something major like having a bolt break on your toad hitch (watched that happen, check those carefully and often). If you need work, there are people there who can handle the job. If you are careful, take things slowly and exercise reasonable precautions the odds are very high that anything that happens will be minor and will be far outweighed by your experiences and the grandeur of the Yukon and Alaska.
Well Said!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #196
Site Team

I have a TOAD question for those who have done the route. Currently I'm using an Acme Eze-Tow dolly, with surge hydraulic disc brakes, for my Ford C-Max. I already have a spare tire and wheel, spare straps and spare winches for the dolly so I think I have that area fairly well covered.

On to the question, based on your experiences, and observations, is there any disadvantage / advantage to dolly towing versus flat towing purely based on the route? I think I've heard all the normal traditional issues on which is "best" in the lower 48, I'm asking this question purely from the driving the AlCan and around Alaska viewpoint.

EDIT: My dolly's hitch height is 12 to 14 inches so I have around 10 to 11 inches of ground clearance.

Thanks,
Old 04-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #197

DW and I plan to take our time, we are both retired and we don't get in a hurry anymore. I plan to drive slow and see the sights, I have made no reservations for this trip. I have backpacked almost 1,000 miles on the Appalachian Trail, I have walked 7 days at a time in the rain. I have walked with to much in backpack, I have walked in the snow but through it all I had fun. And guess what, I plan to have fun on this trip to Alaska. I plan on taking just the truck back this winter so I can see the northern lights. My son said why not fly and rent a RV in Alaska but it's the trip that matters to me, it's all about getting there. I may go back next year. I have been to Yellowstone 3 times and I'm going back this year, it's on the way to Alaska.

Just got new glasses today, it's going to take some getting used to

Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #198
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
DW and I plan to take our time, we are both retired and we don't get in a hurry anymore. I plan to drive slow and see the sights, I have made no reservations for this trip. I have backpacked almost 1,000 miles on the Appalachian Trail, I have walked 7 days at a time in the rain. I have walked with to much in backpack, I have walked in the snow but through it all I had fun. And guess what, I plan to have fun on this trip to Alaska. I plan on taking just the truck back this winter so I can see the northern lights. My son said why not fly and rent a RV in Alaska but it's the trip that matters to me, it's all about getting there. I may go back next year. I have been to Yellowstone 3 times and I'm going back this year, it's on the way to Alaska.

Just got new glasses today, it's going to take some getting used to

Good luck and safe travels!

We are jealous! We want to go up there so bad but are not going to be able until we get done with this "Work" thing! But hopefully soon!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 04-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #199
RetiredRVer

The negative nellies are making me unsure of my commitment to this trip.....I've never been discouraged by others, but it sounds like we are all guaranteed to damage something on the Alcan. I believe if one uses common sense, takes some time to plan, and goes at a reasonable pace, one can enjoy the trip with little to no damage. I've talked to 3 others who have made this trip, and enjoyed themselves. Of course there are numerous sources of info about the Alcan, and I would rather use those and personal resources from others that have made the trip, without the "you will destroy your equipment" suggestions. I'm done commenting on this....now, on to the greatest adventure of our lives!
Old 04-28-2016, 09:44 PM   #200

I plan to drive slow and take my time, I'm in no hurry on this trip. I have insurance and I have good tires, plenty of extra fuel, generators, two battery banks, eight 6volts. It's going to be a trip of a lifetime, I plan to have fun. All the trips before now I had to hurry up, I'm retired now and the hurry up is gone. I have no exact time to start this trip and no exact time to get back. I have the time and the money and diesel is fairly cheap now, the Canadian dollar is cheaper. I am going even if I found out the roads were all gravel. In 05 I wanted to see what the end of I-40 looked liked from Wilmington NC and I spent Christmas ridding, I had Christmas dinner in Jackson, WY at MacDonald, we had fun. We are going to have fun on this trip

Closed Thread

Tags
frog