Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
So how about a caravan to Hawaii so we can get that "50th State" sticker for the camper?

Been planning that trip for years but the hold up has been air and fuel stops...

I think DH and I would have to get re-certified for Scuba!

2013 Flagstaff T12SC
2013 Chevrolet Silverado

2013:16
2014:46
2015:??
Old 06-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #22

We definitely cannot go, we're no where near retiring and don't get enough PTO. But we are interested in following the thread for information and planning. We hope to take a few shorter trips around the country when our daughter gets a little older.

P.S. We live right next to HuntsVegas in Madison. :-)

'09 BMW X5 xDrive35D (TV)
'15 Porsche Cayenne Diesel (Wife's)
'15 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB (TT)
Old 06-17-2015, 02:31 PM   #23

My wife and I did a ten week to Alaska and back last summer. We went as one member of a seventeen RV "Adventure Trek". The trek met in Dawson Creek and the whole group left from there. Various ones, coming from the same areas, had joined up earlier and came in together. We only did half of the "official" Trek. We and several others dropped of in Anchorage and did our own thing from there. By 2018, we could very well be ready to go again. We have a 2011 Salem 27RKSS and a 2011 F250 and live in Texas. We spent roughly a month actually in Alaska and really enjoyed it. With the Trek group we stayed in a RV park every night. However, it would be very easy to mix in some "dry camping". There are lots of really nice places and the state encourages it. The 1492 mile Alcan Highway is a bit of a pain, as you must do it in both directions. However, some of the best scenery is in the upper Yukon. Two warnings. First, you will take rock damage in the Canadian portion. About half of it is gravel. Second, it will be expensive. Canadian diesel is pricy and in the Yukon, we were paying about eight dollars a gallon. Whether we go, or not, we could meet with someone and pass off a "trip plan" and a lot of useful info on what to see and do. Certain attraction reservations and camping reservation need to be made in advance. June, July and August get pretty busy up there. You also need to plan some time for simple things like oil changes. We did slightly over twelve thousand miles on the 2014 trip.

Pete and Michele
Old 06-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #24
Pockets

Alaska is also on my bucket list. Am retired. Live in Ontario. With the new trailer, we plan on wintering in Fl.
3.5L Ecoboost, 3:73 axle, Max Tow Pkg 2015(36 nights) 2016(74 nights) 2017(174 nights) 2018(157 nights) 2019(79 nights) 2020(108 nights)
Old 06-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #25

To Goatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Man View Post
We might be interested as well. We would be from the Ft. Worth area.
Hey Goatman,

We are in Denton, but we are members of the DFW Sams RV club. We have several members in Fort Worth and one, or two, from Alvarado. Check out DFW Sams website.

Pete and Michele
Old 06-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #26

Sounds like something the wife and I have been thinking about. A lot depends on mother situation who turns 93 next month. We are both retired. 06 Georgetown XL and 2011 Jeep Wrangler toad. Keep us updated!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #27

We're also interested and would be in NM when you pass through and would join you there. The big unknown for us is whether such a trip will be possible from a medical standpoint. I won't have an answer to that question for another year or two. A trip extending through September also means skipping the FR August rally and, more importantly, a grandchild's September birthday.

Phil
Old 06-17-2015, 06:57 PM   #28

I did the Alaska Highway trip in 2012, and the best time to go is August and September. Any earlier and the mosquitos are unbearable! The Yukon Territory is so beatiful that it over shadows Alaska. Get off the pavement and it is amazingly beautiful!

As has been stated earlier, the best part of the Yukon is gravel. Hard on windshields from passing traffic and hard on tires. A good bug deflector on the hood and an extra spare tire will make the trip a success.

Longhunter
Northern Illinois
2015 Sunseeker 2300
Old 06-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
OK Folks as promised here is the thread. We retire in 2017 and the first thing on our bucket list is a 4-6 month trip to Alaska.

Looking to Leave AL in March 2018 - Mosey through TX, NM, UT, CO, WY, SD, WY, and then enter Canada from ID in May-ish.

Who would like to plan with us? It would be nice to have at least 3-6 others to make the trip (Safety in numbers!)

No commitments at this point, let's just plan and discuss!!
Would love to go. Drove up back in Feb/Mar '89 (PCS to Elmendorf) towing a 32' TT with a Ramcharger -- IL to AZ up the west coast through BC, etc. Came back in '92 via AB. Would be one expensive trip now!!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #30

Sounds like a plan but at our ages can we wait that many years LOL Hubby wants to go to Alaska. I'd like someone to talk to and complain about the weather *S*
You know what would really be fun. To see how cheaply we could do this trip. That would be interesting. Each coach would keep a journal of expenses. Then compare at the end.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #31

Sounds like a plan. Been there 3 times including up the Alcan in 1976 when it was really rough. Stayed there the whole summer that time and have flown up for shorter trips twice since then. Timing is about right since I will be retiring for the second time about then. I'll look forward to following this thread but it seems that older threads get archived or something. What can be done to keep this alive for a couple years.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #32

Understood all - this is a work in progress and we are SO delighted to see that there is a good deal of interest in this!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 06-17-2015, 08:50 PM   #33

I would love to make this drive but can't convince my DH, and I do all the driving, a win win for him. What I have done 3 times is fly to Anchorage and rent a motorhome. If you book and pay at the right time for the next year you can get it for about 50% off during that time period. We have paid around $100 a night and no extra charge for mileage! The MH is stocked with bedding, towels and all the kitchen supplies you could possibly need.

Maybe those that can't get the time off for a drive up would join you in Alaska somewhere and enjoy themselves at that times.

Also, September has good Aurora viewing. If you are interested, I can give you the name of a man and his wife who run nightly tours to find Auroras. I was there this past March and went out on 3 different tours that he offers. We were even on the Dalton Highway, aka Trucker's Ice Road to the Arctic Circle. The Auroras were absolutely amazing. I had 7 nights of spectacular lights. They teach you how to use your camera and set it up for great shots.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 06-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #34

Definitely interested, just wish it was a year or so earlier. Keep the post up, Alaska is on the list along with SW area. Will talk to you at one of the three rallies we will be at with you.
Dave and Lynda and our new rescued puppy, Pepper. Took her out this weekend to Gubtersville Lake, she loved it. Going to be a natural.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #35

Good plan Bob. Teri and I would like to go from Key West to Alaska one day (when she retires). But we may not make it out of Florida as baseball spring training presents a big temptation! Anyway, that trip would be great with some great experiences and scenery. In the meantime, we are now planning on a trip to Reelfoot Lake in TN soon.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #36

It's on our bucket list; so keep us posted with plans and ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-18-2015, 12:05 AM   #37

Alaska bound

Doing it this year. Left White Rock BC on June 2 and Mile 635 on the Alaska Hey tonight. We are doing the Kenai Peninsula and Anchorage area first and then north through the Park to Fairbanks, then north to Deadhorse and returning through Dawson City and ultimately Hwy37 and home. Expect to return early September.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:57 AM   #38

Keep me in the loop. I am Viet Nam vet also (US NAVY - 25 years). See youin Nashville.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleydoo View Post
I would love to make this drive but can't convince my DH, and I do all the driving, a win win for him. What I have done 3 times is fly to Anchorage and rent a motorhome. If you book and pay at the right time for the next year you can get it for about 50% off during that time period. We have paid around $100 a night and no extra charge for mileage! The MH is stocked with bedding, towels and all the kitchen supplies you could possibly need.

Maybe those that can't get the time off for a drive up would join you in Alaska somewhere and enjoy themselves at that times.

Also, September has good Aurora viewing. If you are interested, I can give you the name of a man and his wife who run nightly tours to find Auroras. I was there this past March and went out on 3 different tours that he offers. We were even on the Dalton Highway, aka Trucker's Ice Road to the Arctic Circle. The Auroras were absolutely amazing. I had 7 nights of spectacular lights. They teach you how to use your camera and set it up for great shots.
Bonnie,

Thanks I would love that aurora info from you! We were "told" that Sept was a bad month then another told us Sept was one of the 2 best months

Seeing the Aurora was our only justification for staying in Fairbanks (or driving back up from another point in AK) in Sept -- it's starting to get cold then and we have some friends we are trying to convince to go with us that just do not do cold well at all.

Hey - fly & RV is a great idea for those who are not bound and determined to check the AlCan off the bucket list - I would like that info as well IOT start my Alaska options file
Old 06-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior3 View Post
Keep me in the loop. I am Viet Nam vet also (US NAVY - 25 years). See youin Nashville.
Hey (Seniorchief?) looking forward to meeting you in Nashville!

For those who are interested in going on this jaunt in 2018, drop me a line at bob AT williamsnet DOT org so I can start up a email list of people interested in going!
Closed Thread

Tags
frog