Old 02-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSQR View Post
Don't understand the DEF issue - you can get it everywhere - any auto parts store, any diesel fuel stop, most minimarts .... It's easier to get than a headlight!
Or Diesel fuel for that matter!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #12

I carry extra DEF fluid, you never know plus I never go to a truck stop. Walmart carries it, it's like extra oil, I always carry a quart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #13

as others have stated, the biggest issue you face it that mountainous national parks start shutting down in sept and oct. for instance, Glacier starts shutting down many campgrounds and Services the week after labor day. With that said, the parks are very nice at this time, they aren't too hot so you won't miss not being fully hooked up. Animals are very active getting ready for hibernation, winter and mating so they are easier to find. Also, since kids are back in school, less families (less crowded)
Old 02-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #14

We are planning on leaving NJ in late August and Returning home before Thanksgiving. We are taking the northern route when we leave here. My wife and I are retired and my sister and her husband also retired are making the trip with us.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #15

We are going to Alaska this year and will start back in September and we would like to visit Glacier and Yellowstone and Grand Teton on the way back plus a few more on the way back to NC

Old 02-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #16

We took a trip from S KY headed up through OH through MI to the UP. We left on Sept 1. Then took Rt 2 all the way to Glacier natl Park. Then down to Yellowstone and on to ID WA OR CA. What we found is a lot of campgrounds are closed after Labor day. Way out in the boonies things get a bit sparse. My best advice is to get a good app for your smart phone and call ahead to any campgrounds that sound interesting. Take lots of warm clothing too, it gets mighty cold up in the higher elevations that time of year. Make sure u have plenty of maps. You cannot trust the GPS units some times. I had one take me down a logging road. Did not take me long to turn around. Even on the GPSs best day the dumb things will not take u on the best routes. We were in thick mountains and forest where GPS did not even work.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:51 AM   #17

I never rely on my Garmin, I always take maps and I take my laptop to check where I'm going the next day. I must admit that the Garmin RV760 has been really great so far, I still like to see where I'm going the next day

Old 02-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #18

Suggested Parks

I have done this trip several times from western PA. I would suggest stopping at Mount Rushmore, South Dakota for a couple of days. This will give you time to visit the monument and drive the Needles Highway. If your trailer is not too long, Custer State Park has several campgrounds to choose from.

From there it is a short drive to Devils Tower in Wyoming (or do it as a day trip from Custer SD). Leaving Devils Tower you can go NW to Glacier NP in Montana or go West to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons NPs. If you decide to go to Glacier NP (or the north entrance to Yellowstone) you will be driving past the Little Big Horn NM where Gen. Custer met his end. It is along I-95 in Montana.

There are multiple possibilities heading south from Grand Tetons. PM me and I can send you some more suggestions.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #19

You may already have this in mind, but if you buy a 12 volt air compressor, consider a combined booster battery/compressor.

Be sure it has enough power to start your Diesel. The larger ones run $75 to $100. In a pinch, you could use it for your trailer lights and refrigerator if you run your coach battery down while without a hookup.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #20

I have an old AC Delco booster/compressor but don't think it would blow up my 80lb tires. I have in the past used a 1000w power inverter connected to a deep cycle battery to run my CPAP machine for a week.

Thanks for all the great suggestions folks, all good stuff.