Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Cross country trip

Happy Weekend everyone!

Our family is planning our first cross country trip in June 2013. Not the best weather time I'm sure, but it is when 4 of our kids are tracked out for the most amount of time all year long.
Last year we rented a Sunseeker and drove 2100 miles mostly visiting family. This time we'll be leaving central NC and going to southern CA. Our plan is to drive for the first few days and then visit NM, AZ, Las Vegas (kids want to see it), Grandma outside LA, up the coast to San Francisco, then Salt Lake, CO and home via??

ANY HELP OR ADVICE about what to see, what to avoid, where to stay, etc, etc etc. will be greatly appreciated. 4 of our 5 children will be with us (ages 8 - 11) and we are driving a Sunseeker 3170 (new). We plan to tow our 2003 Honda Odyssey. I am not excited about it but can't come up with an alternate plan to be able to easily get around without decamping every day.

We are very excited and are planning but know there are pitfalls and also wonderful things we'll miss if we don't know about them. I know this forum has all kinds of knowledge and am hoping you'll share it with us!
Stacey & Oz

ofranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
anytime you plan to camp in California, in the summertime, make sure you make reservations.
especially for places like Yosemite or coastal campgrounds or other popular locations here.
summer sites at Yosemite are gone in mere minutes, as soon as they become reservable.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Certainly an ambitious trip. If it is to be done in 30 days about half of that will be travel time unless you travel 14to16 hour days. We took a 30 day trip out west but covered less than half the distance you are traveling. The Morman Tabernacle Choir has open rehearsals on Thursday nights so make SLC a Thursday night stay if you can, we watched a rehearsal before they left on a world tour and it was great. The Great Salt Lake was a great let down. We enjoyed Colorado Springs in Co. Vegas was a waste of time for us personally but lots of people like the town. Williams, Az has the Grand Canyon Railway and the have an RV park. A little pricey and not real close to the Canyon but a nice comfortable place to stay. I was advised to pass on the Painted Desert but I am glad I did not pass. Loved the drive through the Petrified Forest National Park near Humbolt, Az. Colter Bay in the Grand Tetons was a magic place as was Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone but in Fishing Bridge we could not use our sewer hookup because the inlet was stubbed up about two feet higher than the RV pad, weirdest set up I have seen. My advise Plan, Plan, Plan. Know where you want to be when and have reservations. Very few places we stayed had extra spots. I spent many hours on the Internet planning where to spend my time. Also used "Exit Now" to plan where I would do fuel, food, etc. maybe some people can take off without an agenda and just stop when the urge strikes them but I would not leave a trip like this up to chance. Plan, Plan, Plan. JT
Jtant is offline   Reply With Quote