Old 03-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Smile Cross country trip.

Hi everyone. We bought a Rockwood 2504s this winter, and are getting ready to hit the road for a few months beginning in early April. Iím a newbie to long trips. We have done short ones in the past years ( 200 miles or less for a few days at most ). This trip is April to August. From NH ĖVA-TN-New Orleans-Houston-Dallas-NM-Arizona -California-Vegas-Oregon-Washington ĖGlacier-Yellowstone-Pocatello(yes-Pocatello, and it gets everyoneís attention reading this!) Denver ĖKansas ĖMO-Mammoth Caves-Ohio- Pittsburg-NH. Arrive home around first week in August. This is a National Park and Baseball trip. I have planned a few 300 mile days, but mostly 150-200 miles when traveling.( 1st day out is 300 miles to PA, mostly because we still have 2-3 ft of snow on the ground in NH(March 24)!)
If anyone has suggestions/advice for places to go, routes to use ( or not use), Iím listening! We have Ram 1500 hemi with tow package. I have a few questions to get things going. . Should I buy a spare for the trailer? It already has one. Do I need a second?) ? Should I carry extra 5 gal of gas? (Is it safe?) Whatís the general rule about reservations-How far advance should I make them when Iím on the road? How much water should I always carry in the trailer, especially out west? Thanks for any feedback. Iíll be on the forum all the time. Ram 1500 Rockwell 2504s

2012 Ram 1500
Rockwood 2504S
1 over active Lab-Lets play fetch!
Stufremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Speaking for the Dallas stop, Texan RV Ranch is on the south end of hwy 360 in Mansfield, which is direct access to the Ballpark in Arlington. I assume you're coming up from Houston? I-45 to hwy 287 north puts you right at Lone Star, plus you can head right out to NM on 287n. Lone Star's not a big cg, but it's mighty convenient! PM if you want more info.

David & Carolyn, accompanied by
Cocoa & Shae, the Miniature Schnauzer sisters

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
Looks good- Just what we want. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
2012 Ram 1500
Rockwood 2504S
1 over active Lab-Lets play fetch!
Stufremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
We did 9,000 miles from Virginia and back in 2014
. Made reservations but I don't think we had to. We like KOA and they always had room. Carried extra gas and diesel, but if you don't pass a chance to fill up I don't think you need to carry. We did around 300 miles a day and that was enough. You need to enjoy your
trip if time is not a factor. We are going to go again in 2016. Love the RV life style.
Mike Tav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
We've taken 2 cross country trips from Ohio with our first TT, an R-Pod. The first was to Idaho and back that took 22 days. The second trip was to Arizona & Utah that took 19 days. We stayed at KOAs and were very pleased. Always clean, secure and friendly.
We probably took more stuff than we needed. My suggestion is to travel as light as possible. Take what you need and items that would be pricey on the road. You can always buy little things that are common most everywhere.
If your Rockwood 2504s is new, I would consider an upgrade on the tries before you leave home. Depends on the tire manufacturer. Typically, Forest River OEM tires are not the best and will cause you trouble on the road. We had a low mileage 2012 Graywolf that had "Trail something" OEM tires and they developed a knot (lope) on our first trip to Florida but held out until we reached our campsite. A failed tire can be a hassle not to mention potential damage to your TT.
TT = 2013 Vibe 6501
TV = 2015 Nissan Frontier.

Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
Roger and Paula
New Orleans, stay at one of the parks around Slidell, take the causeway into the Quarter. Plenty of parking down by the River Center Mall on the Mississippi. Recommend Tipitina's Restaurant for supper and true local entertainment across from the Convention Center, Cafe DuMond for beignets. If in the Quarter at night, take a taxi to avoid dark streets. Seriously.

Houston, been a while, but a visit down to Galveston (stay overnight at the state park) and visit the Strand in downtown Galveston is fun.

Dallas, stay on the south side, avoid 35E and 635 North in Dallas. OMG construction. Gilley's on the south side of Dallas is a fun country place, but definitely visit the Fort Worth Stockyards and Billy Bobs.

Pick up 30 or 20 west , picking up 10 and plan to hit Carlsbad in New Mexico. Good Interstates, plenty of fuel stops. Taos, Albuquerque, Santa Fe for the art scene.

As to water, enough for a roadside or overnight dry stop. You aren't boondocking, so don't overload on water. 2 spares can save you if you hit a large piece of debris. Carry a flare and roadside triangle set for emergencies, bottle jack for changing tires, battery powered impact wrench to change tires. We also carry a Jump-it battery pack for emergency 12V power. Just think of what you would need to limp into the next town if necessary.

We are planning a similar journey for Sept-Oct. Enjoy.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
You can find places to refuel that you can get in and out of by a little planning. As I'm planning my campground stops I also plan my fuel stops. I've never seen a Flying J that didn't have RV isles. But if a Flying J isn't where I need it I'll find a fuel stop on FindFuelStops and then check on Google Maps to make sure I can get in and out.

I like to make reservations a month ahead. But we have friends who never make reservations and seldom have a problem, except during long weekend holidays. For those you may want to make a reservation ahead.

RVParkReviews is a good place to find and evaluate CGs.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
When you visit Washington State, don't miss the top edge, where we live. Anacortes is the "Gateway to the San Juan Islands". It's actually on Fidalgo Island, the only one of the islands you can drive to, and the scenery is spectacular.

Summers are very pleasant - highs rarely get above 75 F with overnight temps around 60. At this latitude, the days are long and usually sunny. There are two State Parks fairly close by (Deception Pass and Bayview) and a good commercial one (Pioneer Trails) about 3 miles east of the city. The city also has a park with a campground out at the west end, about 3/4 of a mile from our house.

Touring a couple of the islands (San Juan and Orcas), taking your tow vehicle on the ferry, is a comfortable long day out. The ferries are less crowded on weekdays, but they do take reservations.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
Check out Wyoming if you have time as well. If you have time, check out what SD has to offer. Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Badlands etc. It will make that a truly around the country trip!

CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote