Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #61
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by salwolfe View Post
There is none.
There is none what?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
f5moab

Saw your post with you stating that there were technical problems with our RV/Car Carry Document.
Can you point the problem/s out to me. I want to have the best info available.
I would appreciate any help you could give us. Best way to contact me is admins@handgunlaw.us
as you don't PM here.
Thank you and Stay Safe,
Message sent. The information on your site would not get anyone in trouble with the law, it just did not mention that ID Residents, over 21, do not need a permit to carry concealed in the State. And also residents or non-residents, over 18, can carry concealed outside the confines of a city.

I hate that last sentence, since it could cause problems when driving and you cross over and into a city. A 20 year old could be legal and then when crossing the city border instantly become illegal (I-15 is a great example one second you are legal and a second later technically illegal as you cross into Pocatello, Blackfoot, Idaho Falls for examples)
The carry concealed outside the city limits was originally anyone over 21, but this year they dropped it to 18 or older. Used mostly for hiking, or just walking since there are some dangerous critters roaming ID and they are not on two legs.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Isn't Vermont constitutional carry now? Even better. Maybe one day all states will be like this and reciprocity will be nationwide to carry (a constitutional right) just like driving is (a privilege, NOT a right btw).

Vermont has not required a permit for as long as I can remember.
The following states allow "contitutional" carry of concealed handguns, some states also allow open carry.

AK, AZ, ID (residents only for all areas, anyone over 18 for outside city limits),
KS, MA, MS, WY (residents only)
Old 07-26-2016, 02:43 PM   #64

Camper Gun Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
This will probably spark up some conversation and maybe not.

What are the laws and thoughts about bringing a gun (in the camper) on trips through different states? I have a retired Police friend who said it is Ok to carry a gun in the camper as it is an extension of your home. I find this hard to believe but was wondering what the forum folks think on this subject.

Please no nasty comments.

Thanks.
Big question is what would you do to provoke (probable cause) a police search of your camper? If I'm charged with a local violation if I use it to defend myself, then that is better than dying trying to not violate some obscure local law. Just my theory.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #65

Sorry, I live in Los Angeles.
What's a gun?

And I bet someone from out of state can come to LA and legally CC.

Humor me...
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
Old 07-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBean7672 View Post
Sorry, I live in Los Angeles.
What's a gun?

Humor me...
Do you get to Inglewood much?
Old 07-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #67

WTF???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
I wouldn't worry bout any of this. Most of y'all don't need any fire arms anyhow your just gonna hurt your selves

Where did that come from??
Old 07-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdrell View Post
I know this is not exactly on-tpoic, but what's the experience if going through Canada to AK?
All I will say on this is contact the RCMP. You can get permits to carry a gun in to Canada. Shotguns are easy to do, long guns are a bit harder and handguns are a pain in the rear and not always approved.

Most of the handgun permits are for shooting matches at gun ranges, while there is a very long process to allow for a carry through Canada (and it is long, try about six months it must not be a prohibited weapon; restrictive is possible. Difference I'm familiar with is restricted has to have a barrel over 105mm 4.13 inches). And if stopped, it BETTER BE LOCKED UP IN AN APPROVED CONTAINER!!!!!!!!

BUT DO NOT ARRIVE AT THE BORDER IN YOUR MOTOR HOME WITH A HANDGUN WITHOUT THE CORRECT PAPERS.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...s/5491-eng.pdf
Old 07-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
So if I have a gun registered and drive into the state of Maryland, I will be stopped if seen by a cop?
They use the fact that you have a pistol permit in another state as probable cause that you are carrying illegally in their state.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #70

Download an app for your phone called LegalHeat. It will give you the up to date information for every state. You may need to adjust your travel route, depending on what you find in the app. It also has the legal Transport Rules. Great App!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
Old 07-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I had always been told it was a big no for handguns and some longs guns are ok... But a thread some time ago had some with links saying it was ok under certain circumstances, some Canadians weighted in.. Some said it was ok, others said leave them how either was not ok.. Might need to call the Canadian authorities on that one.

Might have been me who posted a bunch of links.

I have relatives in CAN and most hate handguns but have shot with a couple in matches, somewhere between Windsor and Toronto...been a long time now. And transport into Canada for shooting matches was not that hard many years ago. There was paperwork required.

However, I have LEGALLY transported a handgun through Canada with the correct paper work. Granted the circumstances I had were different than 99 percent of the people on this site and a few times were considered official business. But have checked on transporting, now as a citizen a handgun through Canada to AK. And it is a lot more difficult than before; they made it sound like it would be about as enjoyable as a colonoscopy, but was told it was not impossible.

But no more mention of CAN....from ME!
Old 07-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #72

Quote:

What are the laws and thoughts about bringing a gun (in the camper) on trips through different states? I have a retired Police friend who said it is Ok to carry a gun in the camper as it is an extension of your home. I find this hard to believe but was wondering what the forum folks think on this subject.

Thanks.
Oh boy, good question. I traveled last year through 11 states and many had VERY different laws regarding hand guns (I had two pistols with me, no long guns). I have had a concealed license in Texas for several years now, and didn't want to run the risk of trouble if stopped. We have a safe in the Rockwood and the hand guns went into it for a couple of states with a lot of restrictions. I suggest an app for your phone that I use: CCW - Concealed Carry 50 State Guide by Workman Consulting; I am sure you can find it in Google or iTunes. By having it on your phone, it is always available for a quick consult as you start into the next state. It updates regularly and is pretty straight forward in the explanations of the laws. If you carry hand guns then I also suggest a good gun safe in the RV of whatever type you have; failing that, one that locks and is not accessible from your seat in the vehicle (mine is under the back seat of the truck). Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:32 PM   #73

Quote:

Thanks.
You may want to check with your local law enforcement, they may give you an answer or tell you hoe to check.
Happy Trails, Credeation
Old 07-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #74
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREDEATION View Post
You may want to check with your local law enforcement, they may give you an answer or tell you hoe to check.
Happy Trails, Credeation
Problem with that is they will most likely only know for the state they are in. What we can do here in PA will get you arrested in NJ. No agency will put themselves into that legal trouble if they tell you wrong. They will probably tell you to call each states attorney general.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #75
Senior Member - Retired

Virginia Non-Resident CCW

It is noteworthy that Virginia offers non-resident CCW permits which are currently recognized (reciprocity) in thirty one states.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
Old 07-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #76

Hmmm. In the ole days I wouldnt travel unless I had a "combat load" with me. That was post Ranger Batt days.

Now I do travel with, at a minuimum, my concealed carry with extra mags and on occasion, my tactical shotgun that I keep in a concealed location in the fiver.

So far, I've only traveled to states that recipricate with Florida so not an issue. A few members have posted good links for info.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
Old 07-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #77

From Maryland.gov/state police
Can I legally transport firearms interstate?
​​Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.​
Old 07-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #78
Cadiz Couple

You need to first decide why you want to carry a gun. I would assume that the reason is self protection. If this is the reason then a readily-available pistol is what you need. A .40 caliber or 9 mm is good---you don't need a "cannon" nor a pea-shooter. Next you need to learn to use it and get a concealed carry permit. Your states ccp will not be valid in all states. Research the laws of the states you plan to travel through. I'm guessing that even in the most paranoid states like NY, you won't be in trouble if you keep the weapon and the ammo locked up separately. Don't even think of crossing into Canada with any kind of gun. I have never shot anyone and never plan to but I travel with a nice warm fuzzy feeling with mine on my hip.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #79

f5moab,

Thank you. I had it twice on the RV/Car Carry Doc and didn't change it on the Idaho page. I knew what the new law was but didn't get it in the right places. Thank you for pointing out my error. It will be around the 1st before that shows up.

Thank you again and happy RVing. I just have a small pop up that I use for long weekends from late April to mid Oct on the Allegheny River in PA. Retirement means I can go and come as I please now.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #80

DW and I crossed the border into Canada and I think that was the first question asked, do you have a gun. Anyway I for one don't need a gun. I got enough guns in Vietnam, if I don't feel safe I can just leave the area. My thing is let the police carry the guns, they don't need my help. But to each his own. If I know someone is carrying a handgun I tend to avoid them. I like peace myself and just have fun camping

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Closed Thread