Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Vermont is awesome.

You could always swing on up 77 through Wytheville and 79 through WV into PA without ever having to smell MD. We'll honor your permit and money here in PA. Then just a leisurely drive across PA in a northeasterly direction with some really nice state parks right on the route for an overnight stop or two. Now all you have is a low profile, almost totally rural cruise through NY for about 180 miles from Sayre PA through Binghamton into Albany/Troy and hello VT. Once your in VT your good for Maine and NH too where your permit is honored.
I travel to PA once a year for 3 days to visit my brother. I do travel 77 to 79 to 60. According to post 77 I could go through MD with the weapon locked under the rear seat. Why bother with paying tolls or possibly needing fuel there?
Old 07-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #82

The police don't need my help, for sure. But my wife does.

And when I carry a weapon it's because a cop is too heavy to lug around..........

I love the Police. But when seconds matter, the police are only minutes away.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 07-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
f5moab,

Thank you. I had it twice on the RV/Car Carry Doc and didn't change it on the Idaho page. I knew what the new law was but didn't get it in the right places. Thank you for pointing out my error. It will be around the 1st before that shows up.

Thank you again and happy RVing. I just have a small pop up that I use for long weekends from late April to mid Oct on the Allegheny River in PA. Retirement means I can go and come as I please now.
Cool. Glad to help.
I have a popup too, retired and working my way through every forest campground in MT, ID, WY and UT.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Handgunlaw.us

Steer clear of New York
Beware of Maryland
Maryland has cameras at the entrances to their state along the interstate highways. these cameras look for out of state plates. Once an out of state plate is detected, the owners name is found and then checked with the National gun registry. If your name is on the list, the local police are notified. Should you stop in their state for any reason and a police officer happens to see your vehicle, you will immediately be stopped and if carrying, arrested for gun possession.
Maryland has the strictest gun laws in the nation, New York is second, and Massachusetts is third. Several other northeast states are also anti-gun.

Illinois recognizes out of state CPL permits BUT, you must not leave your vehicle with your weapon. Your safest bet when traveling through or staying in Illinois is to unload your gun. encase it in a locked container out of reach from the drivers compartment and also lock the ammunition and magazines in separate container.

Advice, if you carry. put in a safe/ lock box for your handguns, and a separate one for your ammo and magazines.

Steer clear of Northeast USA.

As long as you stay on the Interstate Freeway system and do not get off for any reason at all, Federal laws allow you to legally transport through an illegal state as long as you are coming from a state that is legal and going to a another state that is also legal.

New York is a really big state.

National Gun Registry what is that? That is what the NRA fights against and as far as I know there is none. At least Florida residents aren't subject to it. I know some states have registration requirements but a National Gun Registry.. But I degrees from OP question.. I doubt anyone is going to search your RV unless you did something stupid or really wrong so you have to decide to you leave your gun at home or have protection?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Obviously you are still livingin the 19th century or have never entered Maryland via an interstate highway. BECAUSE there are WARNING SIGNS stating EXACTLY WHAT I SAID

The biggest problem with this forum is people who DONT have a clue having to put in their two cents worth
Sherman... can you please point me to your source that claims a national gun registry exists?
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #86

About Maryland. They do read plates. They do have their system tied into the national system that many states use so police can check if a carry permit is valid or not. They cross reference when they run a plate but mainly a drivers license. They don't stop you just because you have a permit. All they have to do is have a reason. Light out etc. Then everyone drives over the speed limit and the police don't care. That gives them the opportunity to stop anyone they want.

The Virginia Legislature last year tried to pass a law that they would not share their permit info on the system with Maryland. They didn't try that if there was nothing to it. They only wanted to block Maryland.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #87

Quote:
About Maryland. They do read plates. They do have their system tied into the national system that many states use so police can check if a carry permit is valid or not. They cross reference when they run a plate but mainly a drivers license. They don't stop you just because you have a permit. All they have to do is have a reason. Light out etc. Then everyone drives over the speed limit and the police don't care. That gives them the opportunity to stop anyone they want.

The Virginia Legislature last year tried to pass a law that they would not share their permit info on the system with Maryland. They didn't try that if there was nothing to it. They only wanted to block Maryland.
Thank you Gary....So would I be correct in stating that if you never had a carry permit for a handgun..or owned a long gun/shotgun instead....the MD police would have no way of knowing you had a gun? Only those who took the trouble to get trained and certified for a carry license would be subject to a search? What a bizarre "state" of affars!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:54 PM   #88

Quote:

I've been licensed for over 20 years. Purchased many guns. Driven through MD too many times and I'm that guy driving 15 mph over the speed limit. Never been stopped.

Even if they stop you, and you have an out of state license to carry, that does not give them probable cause to search your car or RV.

I'm not from the show me state, but show me case law saying that flies.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #89

As an NRA certified firearms instructor, I would very much like to hear more about this "National Firearms Registry" that I have never heard of. I want to make sure I don't give any of my students the wrong info.
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Old 07-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #90
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMANUEL74 View Post
I've been licensed for over 20 years. Purchased many guns. Driven through MD too many times and I'm that guy driving 15 mph over the speed limit. Never been stopped.

Even if they stop you, and you have an out of state license to carry, that does not give them probable cause to search your car or RV.

I'm not from the show me state, but show me case law saying that flies.
They do not necessarily need Probable Cause. They can just ask for consent. Do it all the time. They may ask you, you may not think anything of it.. Then the bracelets go on when they find an unregistered bullet... But I am not in the tin foil hat group... So I would not be concerned of this.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #91

No national gun registry, yet!

And I am about as likely to visit MD as I am to visit Damascus; again. .

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #92
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
No national gun registry, yet!

And I am about as likely to visit MD as I am to visit Damascus; again. .
Thank you everyone for keeping this on track and within the single exception for discussing firearms and RV life. This thread has been very educational and (with a "nod" to our friends north of the 49th parallel) within guidelines.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
This will probably spark up some conversation and maybe not.

What are the laws and thoughts about bringing a gun (in the camper) on trips through different states? I have a retired Police friend who said it is Ok to carry a gun in the camper as it is an extension of your home. I find this hard to believe but was wondering what the forum folks think on this subject.

Please no nasty comments.

Thanks.
for now it's still ok to travel with a gun . i do and have for over 30 yrs . of course never up the eat coast seems some states up there frown on it .but from mt, wy, co,sd,nd,kn,mo,ok,ne,ky,az, ut,nm, tx, ia, mn , and many more have at it
Old 07-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #94

Gary Slider is the bomb. I have been using his site for years. Very helpful when traveling or just staying up with your local laws. It would be fairly easy to break a law when traveling. You could even get convicted of a felony, then goodbye gun rights. Use his site, handgunlaws.us and stay up to date. You can also check out defensivecarry.com and talk to local folks about laws in their area when traveling. I go by Stevew on that site. When traveling, I go around unfriendly gun states. Why add money to unfriendly coifiers.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #95

Wow. 94 posts in 13 hours? Hot topic.
I normally bring one or two hand guns with me in my travels across the USA. It stays in the camper so no
one knows they are there except me. If I need it, I'll use it to protect me or my wife and deal with the consequences.
Now.... On this current trip we will be traveling into Canada, so the hand guns stayed at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
Old 07-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #96

This was all over the news. They separated the husband and wife. Husband stated his firearm was home in his safe. Wife said she didn't know where his firearm was. With conflicting stories they searched their vehicle. You can read the stories I found on a quick search of Google about it.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...alysis-center/

Jackson: Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland | TBO.com

Maryland Police Detain Concealed Carry Permit Holder Over An Hour During Search For Legal Gun
Old 07-26-2016, 08:33 PM   #97

Well........at the end it said "Now, despite having fielded apologies from the officer's captain as well as from a Maryland Transportation Authority Police internal affairs captain........"

So clearly this officer was out of line, and acted without legal authority. It is not a crime for a person that doesn't own a gun to not know where some gun might be. And they can say they know, that they don't know, or they can be wrong about what they know.....none of that is a crime. That is why, I assume, that the guy got an apology.

Since 'we' travel all over the country, 'we' probably need to know what to do in each state. Here is a good website, though I just found it and can't vouch for it's veracity.

Do You Have A Duty To Inform When Carrying Concealed? We Look At All 50 States For The Answers – Concealed Nation

And none of that addresses what are the rules for a person who carries but doesn't have a CCW in any state, or one who has a CCW but doesn't carry.

The problem with Maryland (and probably New York, etc) is that if you do have a CCW from any state and you are there, they assume you are packing. If I leave my weapon at home, travel through Maryland and New York on my way to Canada, I'm subject to some policeman's assumption that I have a weapon. But if he thinks that alone is legal Probable Cause to search my truck or trailer, and he does so, I am parking that camper until the court date, and he and I will discuss it openly with the judge.

As an opinion, I have no intentions of either going naked into this bizarre world, nor of visiting places that allow perps to be armed but not me. DW wants desperately to see the Northeast, but since she also has a CCW, I'm going to veto it. We'll have to live vicariously through pictures.

There certainly is a ton of confusion in this big old country about this subject, though.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #98

Guess I will not travel through that state with firearm or "unregistered" ammunition. Just do the View Master thing as stated above.That guy needs a lawyer. They need to concentrate on policing in Baltimore rather than harassing out of state travelers.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #99

Quote:
This was all over the news. They separated the husband and wife. Husband stated his firearm was home in his safe. Wife said she didn't know where his firearm was. With conflicting stories they searched their vehicle. You can read the stories I found on a quick search of Google about it.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...alysis-center/

Jackson: Gun owner unarmed, unwelcome in Maryland | TBO.com

Maryland Police Detain Concealed Carry Permit Holder Over An Hour During Search For Legal Gun
I am still on the fence about this post.

Based on the links, Do you think that this state is sending a message to legal citizens that they are not wanted or welcome? Do you think there was a reason to check this guy or does the state (if this is in fact policy) think this will make bad guys go elsewhere? What is the purpose?

Maryland state motto? Bring us your dollars and nothing loaded.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #100

why do you need to pack a gun or rifel if you are camping or just relaxing, campgrounds are friendley.
Closed Thread