Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #101

National gun registration? I thought that's what I did when I bought my guns. Sure was a lot of paper work.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Old 07-26-2016, 08:57 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobinson0857 View Post
why do you need to pack a gun or rifel if you are camping or just relaxing, campgrounds are friendley.
Here's one reason:

Bombs Found in RV Park: Who's Camping Next To You? - RV Life

Another few might be:
- I am not in a campsite 100% of the time on a trip
- There are people all over Earth that would love to kill a white Christian old man
- I might see a snake

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 07-26-2016, 09:15 PM   #103
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
National gun registration? I thought that's what I did when I bought my guns. Sure was a lot of paper work.
It is supposed to be destroyed after 30 days...

Of coarse now that I am thinking about the last gun I bought.. I am not sure if any of the paper work was actually federal. I think it was all pa state stuff. I'll have to look. We use a pa system to do the filing and background check.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #104
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
why do you need to pack a gun or rifel if you are camping or just relaxing, campgrounds are friendley.
Not so much worried about the campground per se, it's the rest of the world.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 09:24 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
It is supposed to be destroyed after 30 days...

Of coarse now that I am thinking about the last gun I bought.. I am not sure if any of the paper work was actually federal. I think it was all pa state stuff. I'll have to look. We use a pa system to do the filing and background check.

I spent several years as a LEO and on many occasions I ran NCIC checks on firearms to find out who it was registered to. I'm wondering where that info came from?

Old 07-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #106

Quote:
They weren't registering your guns........they were registering YOU, as an owner. And seeing if you are are ok to buy one. Not a Gun Registration, but a Background Check.

(Now,not one single arrest has ever been made for a felon, or otherwise unqualified person, to fill out the form and FAIL it.........but still you have to do it)

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #107
Who Dares, Wins

We use ncic to check stolen. I do not think (as far as I know) it shows ownership(at least that I've been able to get) . We just found a gun in the street two days ago and it was a pain to get ownership.. The owner ended up calling us before we could locate him. We need to call the state police who can tell us if it had been bought in this state and by whom. No national data base for us to run it other than stolen.on an aside I can run permits to Carry through ncic though

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #108
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
They weren't registering your guns........they were registering YOU, as an owner. And seeing if you are are ok to buy one. Not a Gun Registration, but a Background Check.

(Now,not one single arrest has ever been made for a felon, or otherwise unqualified person, to fill out the form and FAIL it.........but still you have to do it)
Here we do it all the time. Have a shop that sells guns and we get the call about once every 6 months or so.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #109

In Georgia if you have a CCW they don't do a back ground check on you. But they do fill out paper work that includes my info and that of the weapon. That's interesting.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #110

Quote:
Here we do it all the time. Have a shop that sells guns and we get the call about once every 6 months or so.

And they get arrested? And convicted???? If so, great!! Love it.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #111
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
In Georgia if you have a CCW they don't do a back ground check on you. But they do fill out paper work that includes my info and that of the weapon. That's interesting.
Some states DO have gun registries.. Just not the feds.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #112

Quote:
I guess if you stay in private campgrounds or National parks and you never venture outside to the national forests, you might not need a weapon. However, there are those of us who detest private campgrounds and National park campgrounds and head into national forests to camp in both campgrounds of dispersed areas off the beaten paths. Then you could run into a problem...

https://www.policeone.com/drug-inter...owing-problem/

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...t-service-says

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/08/pot.eradication/

http://abc7.com/news/exclusive-marij...forest/951728/

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 07-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #113

Until 2004, information on approved National Instant Criminal Background Check System (“NICS”) background checks was retained by NICS for ninety days.1 This information helped ATF deter fraud and detect dealers who might be providing false information about a prohibited person, by inspecting a dealer’s records within the ninety-day period and verifying that the records matched the information submitted earlier to NICS.2 If discrepancies were found, ATF could conduct a further investigation of the dealer to determine whether the dealer submitted false information to NICS.3

In a recent review of trafficking investigations, ATF determined that corrupt dealers are a significant source of trafficked firearms.4

As of July 2004, approved purchaser information is no longer kept for ninety days but is instead destroyed within twenty-four hours of the official NICS response to the dealer. The requirement that approved purchaser information be destroyed within twenty-four hours has been included in the appropriations bills funding the Department of Justice (which includes ATF and the FBI) every year since 2004.5 Each of these acts contains additional provisions which restrict disclosure of data obtained by ATF via crime gun traces. In 2006, Congress failed to pass H.R. 5005, which would have codified and made permanent the restrictions on disclosure of crime gun trace data.

As a result of these restrictions, ATF inspectors are no longer able to compare the information on file with the dealer to the information the dealer submitted to NICS. The Department of Justice Inspector General has noted that the shortened retention time makes it much easier for corrupt firearm dealers to avoid detection.6

The FBI maintains indefinitely the records of prospective purchasers whose applications are denied.7

Sales Records

FFLs are required to maintain records of the acquisition and sale of firearms indefinitely.8 The dealer must record, “in bound form,” the purchase or other acquisition of a firearm not later than the close of the next business day following the purchase or acquisition.9 The dealer must similarly record the sale or other disposition of a firearm not later than seven days following the date of such transaction and retain Form 4473, the Firearms Transaction Record.10

If the sale is approved, NICS provides the dealer with a unique identification number. The dealer records this number and certain information about the firearm to be transferred, including the manufacturer, type, model, caliber or gauge and serial number, on Form 4473.11 The dealer is required to retain Form 4473, regardless of whether the transaction is approved or denied or whether the firearm is actually transferred.12 When a firearms business is discontinued, these records are delivered to the successor or, if none exists, to the Attorney General.13

With very limited exceptions, records of firearm sales are not maintained at the federal level. The National Firearms Act Branch of ATF does maintain a limited registry of machine guns, short-barreled shotguns or rifles, and silencers, known as the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.14 Machine guns were banned in 1986, and it is unlawful to possess or transfer a machine gun unless it was lawfully owned prior to May 19, 1986.15 The Act also includes, in a category defined as “any other weapon,” certain smooth-bore handguns.16 The vast majority of handguns are excluded.

Maintaining Records on Gun Sales | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 07-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #114

Blackhat6mike

Go to this link

Services

and click on "Concealed Carry Query" in the left column. The map will change and show you the states that report all their permit holders to the system so a Police Officer can verify that a permit is valid. Not all states supply their permit holder info to Nlets but they do more than just being a permit clearing house.

Edit: Even though Maryland doesn't report their permit holders to the system they can still access all the info the states who do provide the info to Nlets.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #115

Quote:

Back in the day before dirt my PA CWP stated "any legal weapon registered in above name" so thinking PA has or had a record of 1 handgun I had. NC CWP holders go in the shop, fill out the background check, and take your purchase out the door. I always pay with cash too.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #116
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I guess if you stay in private campgrounds or National parks and you never venture outside to the national forests, you might not need a weapon. However, there are those of us who detest private campgrounds and National park campgrounds and head into national forests to camp in both campgrounds of dispersed areas off the beaten paths. Then you could run into a problem...

https://www.policeone.com/drug-inter...owing-problem/

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...t-service-says

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/08/pot.eradication/

http://abc7.com/news/exclusive-marij...forest/951728/
May even need a firearm depending on the wildlife you might encounter.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #117
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
Blackhat6mike

Go to this link

Services

and click on "Concealed Carry Query" in the left column. The map will change and show you the states that report all their permit holders to the system so a Police Officer can verify that a permit is valid. Not all states supply their permit holder info to Nlets but they do more than just being a permit clearing house.

Edit: Even though Maryland doesn't report their permit holders to the system they can still access all the info the states who do provide the info to Nlets.
Looks like maybe 50/50 split.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-26-2016, 10:04 PM   #118

Quote:

When I lived in MI many moons ago, they had a registry but they denied it and called it a "firearms inspection." When I moved into the state, I had to take my personal handguns into the county sheriff's office. Upon entering, a deputy asked how many handguns I had, I handed her a bag said four and one on my hip (which does not need to be inspected; since it was definitely registered by the Feds.). The sheriff checked my ID, made sure the guns in the bag were unloaded. Then went to a counter and a nice, very older lady checked the serial numbers to the computer to make sure they were not stolen or noted as part of a crime, recorded the info and looked at the gun and said it was safe.

I then commented to the deputy on the way out that I felt so much safer now. Which got a very good laugh from her.

The handgun inspection/registry might not still be required in MI. Not sure; not sure I care.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:08 PM   #119

Quote:
May even need a firearm depending on the wildlife you might encounter.

Oh yea.... .40 for two-legged, .44 mag for two or four legged

With all this talk, I need to head out to BLM land tomorrow and shoot off a few hundred, then come home and clean my guns.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJLOAD View Post
This will probably spark up some conversation and maybe not.

What are the laws and thoughts about bringing a gun (in the camper) on trips through different states? I have a retired Police friend who said it is Ok to carry a gun in the camper as it is an extension of your home. I find this hard to believe but was wondering what the forum folks think on this subject.

Please no nasty comments.

Thanks.
I am not going to read all the post but in case someone did not mention New Jersey I suggest you not go there if you are carrying a firearm. They are more interested in political points than public protection.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Closed Thread