Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:37 AM   #1

Cross Country Trip and Guns

This will probably spark up some conversation and maybe not.

What are the laws and thoughts about bringing a gun (in the camper) on trips through different states? I have a retired Police friend who said it is Ok to carry a gun in the camper as it is an extension of your home. I find this hard to believe but was wondering what the forum folks think on this subject.

Please no nasty comments.

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #2
(Dry Huunday)

You need to check each states laws that you plan to travel in. I wouldn't get info from anywhere else personally.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
Land of the Midnightsun

Tricky subject. Depends on what you mean by a gun? Long arm or hand gun. My understanding is if you carry a long arm you'll be fine but hand gun varies state to state. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:53 AM   #4

Your retired police friend is going to get you arrested.

This is a subject that requires a little bit of research on your own. You'll get lots of conflicting and incorrect information asking that question on a forum. A rifle or shotgun is a different scenario than a handgun. Concealed carry is a different scenario than open carry. Laws and state reciprocity seem to change almost daily. ETC ETC ETC.

The place to start is here.......
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/
Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Site Team

X2 on checking each state. What is considered a residence varies from state to state. Some consider a MH as a residence, but a TT or 5er as a camper. Also carry/possession laws vary and unlike drivers licenses reciprocity does not exist.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

I wouldn't go so far as to classify (although it may be) your motor home as an extension of your home. But any qualified retired/former police officer who has completed LEOSA (Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act) qualifications can carry in any state, with certain limitations.
I would suggest looking at the laws in which you would expect to travel. As far as I know, there is no blanket rule of thumb regarding civilians. And each day, more and more states change their laws.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Also carry/possession laws vary and unlike drivers licenses reciprocity does not exist.

Reciprocity does exist but changes often..............A general rule of thumb is your left coast and most of the New England states are usually the most restrictive. If I mention the reason why the thread will surely be closed which it will eventually be regardless.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry
Old 07-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #8

Handgunlaw.us

Steer clear of New York
Beware of Maryland
Maryland has cameras at the entrances to their state along the interstate highways. these cameras look for out of state plates. Once an out of state plate is detected, the owners name is found and then checked with the National gun registry. If your name is on the list, the local police are notified. Should you stop in their state for any reason and a police officer happens to see your vehicle, you will immediately be stopped and if carrying, arrested for gun possession.
Maryland has the strictest gun laws in the nation, New York is second, and Massachusetts is third. Several other northeast states are also anti-gun.

Illinois recognizes out of state CPL permits BUT, you must not leave your vehicle with your weapon. Your safest bet when traveling through or staying in Illinois is to unload your gun. encase it in a locked container out of reach from the drivers compartment and also lock the ammunition and magazines in separate container.

Advice, if you carry. put in a safe/ lock box for your handguns, and a separate one for your ammo and magazines.

Steer clear of Northeast USA.

As long as you stay on the Interstate Freeway system and do not get off for any reason at all, Federal laws allow you to legally transport through an illegal state as long as you are coming from a state that is legal and going to a another state that is also legal.

New York is a really big state.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:20 AM   #9

As many have stated already. If you are talking a long gun (shotgun or rifle) you should be fine to bring it along to any state. Although, most campgrounds i have gone to have in the rules "no firearms in the park". Handguns is completely different. Each state has reciprocals, come more than others. I am in NY which has hardly any. Most guys i know get a Florida non-resident pistol permit which has reciprocals covering most of the east coast. I think it was also Utah permit that adds several states as well. Now even if you have those ones South Carolina is not covered. They wont accept a Florida non-resident permit but they will accept a Florida resident permit. Now if i was traveling through SC, covered in all other states, it is ok to travel through with rules such as the firearm and ammo need to be separated and unassailable by you. This is my memory from a class about 5 years ago. But my point is Handgun laws per state are very different.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:20 AM   #10

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation
Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Handgunlaw.us

Beware of Maryland
Maryland has cameras at the entrances to their state along the interstate highways. these cameras look for out of state plates. Once an out of state plate is detected, the owners name is found and then checked with the National gun registry. If your name is on the list, the local police are notified. Should you stop in their state for any reason and a police officer happens to see your vehicle, you will immediately be stopped and if carrying, arrested for gun possession.
That's absurd What's the probable cause for searching you?
Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Handgunlaw.us

Steer clear of New York
Beware of Maryland
Maryland has the strictest gun laws in the nation, New York is second, and Massachusetts is third. Several other northeast states are also anti-gun.

Illinois recognizes out of state CPL permits BUT, you must not leave your vehicle with your weapon. Your safest bet when traveling through or staying in Illinois is to unload your gun. encase it in a locked container out of reach from the drivers compartment and also lock the ammunition and magazines in separate container.

Advice, if you carry. put in a safe/ lock box for your handguns, and a separate one for your ammo and magazines.

Steer clear of Northeast USA.

As long as you stay on the Interstate Freeway system and do not get off for any reason at all, Federal laws allow you to legally transport through an illegal state as long as you are coming from a state that is legal and going to a another state that is also legal.

New York is a really big state.
So if I have a gun registered and drive into the state of Maryland, I will be stopped if seen by a cop?
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 07-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #13

Of course I live out west where according to some we still fight Indians and form posses, but I always leave home with my CC permit and my two best friends Mr Smith and Mr Wesson for that rare moment. Many of my RV acquaintenances do the same and have for years and years. To my current knowlege, none of us have encountered a problem with our practice although none of us walk around with twin bandoleers on.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:48 AM   #14

Pleas stop ASSuMEing, if you do not know the laws,do not give misinformation.

Example, New York, DOES NOT allow any type of firearm in your vehicle, unless it is unloaded and uncased AND you are transporting it to a FIREARMS RANGE or to a GUN REPAIR SHOP if there is no open hunting season. if there is, you had better have a hunting license for that season and be heading to a hunting area.

here are several sites that will provide you with the necessary information and gun laws by state.

Handgunlaw.us

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation

There are many other sites and articles on gun laws and what to do.

should you decide to carry, take the time to learn those laws, No judge will accept the " I didn't know it was Illegal",,,, it is YOUR responsibility to know the laws of each state you travel in
Old 07-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
That's absurd What's the probable cause for searching you?
Obviously you are still livingin the 19th century or have never entered Maryland via an interstate highway. BECAUSE there are WARNING SIGNS stating EXACTLY WHAT I SAID

The biggest problem with this forum is people who DONT have a clue having to put in their two cents worth
Old 07-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Obviously you are still livingin the 19th century or have never entered Maryland via an interstate highway. BECAUSE there are WARNING SIGNS stating EXACTLY WHAT I SAID
Really? Seeing that I live about 26 miles from MD and drive into it at least half a dozen times a month (Usually on 68) I have yet to see one of those warning signs you mention or have yet to be stopped and asked if I am carrying one of my REGISTERED firearms. I have only been going there at least once a week for a couple of years, since 1989.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:06 AM   #17

Quote:
The biggest problem with this forum is people who DONT have a clue having to put in their two cents worth
Well you said it.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #18

ShermanD stated there was a National gun registry. Can you be more specific as to what this is.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #19

My Kimber 1911 has been to 27 states ! Gonna buy it the patches ! Just SMH !
Old 07-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #20

Travel at your own risk, I am done with this thread, I try and offer my knowledge and I get ridiculed

BTW, this thread will be closed in the near future because of sarcasm...

well wannabee clowns. you will lhave ruined information for others once again

Hope your proud or your great accomplishment to society,,,NOT
Closed Thread