Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
Broken Toe

Dayton Ohio camping info

Looks like some time in the not-too-distant future me and a couple of buddies will be making a pilgrimage to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good place to camp.

I see 3 places, a KOA (Pricey as hell, but close), John Bryan State park about 15 miles away and a private campground called Enon Beach.

Anyone have any suggestions of those 3 or any other place?

Thanks!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Looks like some time in the not-too-distant future me and a couple of buddies will be making a pilgrimage to the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good place to camp.

I see 3 places, a KOA (Pricey as hell, but close), John Bryan State park about 15 miles away and a private campground called Enon Beach.

Anyone have any suggestions of those 3 or any other place?

Thanks!
Tim
Cowracer,don't use any of the ones you have listed! Correct on KOA $$,Enon Beach that would be a NO also,John Bryan would be a NO also! If any of you are Military WPAFB has a Nice Fam-Camp! The nearest Nice State Park is Buck Creek near Springfield! I gave Capt Mike the same Info! Youroo!!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #3

John Bryan OSP has only 6 elec. sites , but is a very fine state park, not close to the museum . Enon Beach is a dump where a deputy was shot dead a couple of years. The Dayton KOA is just off I 70 which might be the closet cg to the air force museum. The museum is awesome .
Old 01-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

I would suggest Caesar Creek State Park campground, about 30 mi from the AF Museum. However they have limited services during the Winter. Best bet during Winter is probably the KOA, although the campsites are close together. The museum is a great place to visit.

2015 Legacy RB, 2013 CRV toad. Retired USAF. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Cowracer,don't use any of the ones you have listed! Correct on KOA $$,Enon Beach that would be a NO also,John Bryan would be a NO also! If any of you are Military WPAFB has a Nice Fam-Camp! The nearest Nice State Park is Buck Creek near Springfield! I gave Capt Mike the same Info! Youroo!!

I gotta check to see what the requirements are for the Fam-Camp. My son is US Army, but he is not going on this trip. My Brother-in-law was a marine but I don't know if they consider him 'retired' he only did like 8 years.

Buck Creek or Cesar Creek both look viable if Fam-Camp is a no go.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
I gotta check to see what the requirements are for the Fam-Camp. My son is US Army, but he is not going on this trip. My Brother-in-law was a marine but I don't know if they consider him 'retired' he only did like 8 years.

Buck Creek or Cesar Creek both look viable if Fam-Camp is a no go.

Tim
I carry my "DD 214" in our travel kit,the Rules for Fam-Camp are NOT Consistent across the Board! We have found when the "Commanding General/Base Commander" changes so do the Rules at Times! Buck or Caeser are good choices! Youroo!!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #7
Broken Toe

Quote:
I carry my "DD 214" in our travel kit,the Rules for Fam-Camp are NOT Consistent across the Board! We have found when the "Commanding General/Base Commander" changes so do the Rules at Times! Buck or Caeser are good choices! Youroo!!
We're booked at Caesar for 4/14-4/15. Anyone wanna come along?

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
We're booked at Caesar for 4/14-4/15. Anyone wanna come along?

Tim
Come across the Lake and I will give you FREE Firewood are you going to bring your NEW unit? You will be in our Backyard! Youroo!!
Old 01-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
Broken Toe

Quote:
Come across the Lake and I will give you FREE Firewood are you going to bring your NEW unit? You will be in our Backyard! Youroo!!
I'll take you up on that! Yes, I'm taking the new camper. Maybe as we get closer to the date you can clue me in on good places to eat around there.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #10

Quote:
I'll take you up on that! Yes, I'm taking the new camper. Maybe as we get closer to the date you can clue me in on good places to eat around there.

Tim
OK I will stack it up beside "Witch Doctors" Private campsite! Youroo!!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #11

I grew up next to WPAFB in Greene County. When we were with a Winnebago group some years back we had a group campout at Tomorrow's Stars RV Resort just off I70. It is a little east of Springfield. The drive is very easy from there to the US Air Force Museum.
jafud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
[QUOTE=Cowracer;1397512]I gotta check to see what the requirements are for the Fam-Camp. My son is US Army, but he is not going on this trip. My Brother-in-law was a marine but I don't know if they consider him 'retired' he only did like 8 years.

Here is a link to primer on who is supposed to be authorized to use military FamCamps but it may not be guaranteed as mentioned by YourRoo. Local Commanders have final say. It can get complicated fast. If not a Medal of Honor recipient, it pays to be Active Duty, then 100% Disabled Vet, then retired, and so forth down the list. The list is long and popular destinations can fill quickly. If you can find an authorization type that matches your situation you are at least a player. Like flying Space A, it pays to have a credit card and access to a real airport (campground) nearby or you could be spending your whole vacation standing in lines waiting. Good luck.

U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Authorized Users of Military Campgrounds
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #13

WPAFB Famcamp phone number 937-257-2579
Emil Faber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafud1 View Post
I grew up next to WPAFB in Greene County. When we were with a Winnebago group some years back we had a group campout at Tomorrow's Stars RV Resort just off I70. It is a little east of Springfield. The drive is very easy from there to the US Air Force Museum.
We do some weekend retreats at Tomorrow's Stars. Nice place and close to where we live. Stonehouse Tavern in Waynesville is a decent place to eat. Nicks in Xenia is good too.
zconn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #15
MCTroy

We live near here to. The Brookville, Ohio koa is nice and it is quiet. There are plenty of good places to eat around Dayton and Beavercreek. Best pizza and beer is at Marions If you need anything while here just drop a PM. to one of us locals.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #16

Its going to be a bit of a drive, but check out Paint Creek State Park near Chillicothe. Absolutely wonderful state park with a really nice lake. If you like fishing, you will love this place. Great crappie fishing off the point in the campground at the lake. I've watched guys limit out in an hour.

And fantastic saugeye fishing below the dam. I caught a 5lber 2 years ago.

I would also 2nd Ceasar's creek. Its a great campground.

While you are in the area, check out the Ceasar's Creek and Turtle Creek flea markets. One is on I71, the other on I75. Don't bother going inside, its all garbage. But hit the outside vendors and you can find some great deals. There is a fishing supply guy that has great deals on lead weights and hooks.

I might catch some flak for this, but Dayton really isn't that great of a city. And I have family that lives there, and I've grown up in the area, so I'm not just talking out of my rear end. I've never felt safe in downtown Dayton vs. downtown Cincinnati. Cincinnati has way more culture and stuff to do, so personally, I'd stay closer to there. You can shoot up 75 and be in Dayton at the WPAFB in 45 minutes from Cinci.

If you like beer and German food, check out Hofbrauhaus in Newport, KY. Close by, and a super fun place to have dinner. You can get huge steins of their beer, and they have great food. Hofbrauhaus Newport

If you do stay closer to Dayton, there is the Oregon District you can go to for food.
Downtown Dayton Partnership
But its kinda seedy. Like, bars between tattoo parlors and adult book stores. We ate dinner at a wonderful pub there while a homeless guy stared at us through the window (not making that up).

If you are going to be in the area and love WW2 planes, go to the Tri-state War Bird museum too. Tri-State Warbird Museum in Cincinnati Ohio

Another really fun thing to do in Dayton (at least for me, because I'm a huge nerd) is to go to Mendelsons. https://meci.com/ Its CRAZY. Its this huge warehouse and they have just the craziest stuff. They buy out businesses that are going under. So you can get everything from mannequins to office furniture to commercial kitchen equipment. Then you go upstairs, and its nothing but disassembled electronics, pneumatics, and hydraulics. If you want something, you carry it over to a guy behind a desk and he prices it for you. You can buy everything from a 100hp 3 phase AC motor to desktop computer equipment. I can easily kill a half a day just wondering around in that place.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 PM   #17

Cowracer, I live in Chillicothe. I have boated and camped at paint creek and nearby rocky fork lake for over 20 years. As far as camping goes, Paint Creek has a few sites that overlook the water, rocky fork has better tv reception and WiFi. Both are very nice places and at Rocky Fork has some full hookup sites if that is what you desire. I don't fish so I am no help there. If you need anything brought to you while here just send me a PM. jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #18

This is the closes place to Wright Patt

This is the closest place to Wright-Patt
Mc Mahan's Mobile Home Park  
Directions
Mobile Home Park
Address: 3324 Valley St, Dayton, OH 45424
Phone (937) 233-3750

This is 15 minutes from Wright Patterson AFB and Museum. It cost $100 for a week full hookups. We stay there every time we go to Dayton.

This is a mobile home park with RV spots.

It is also close to Huffman Dam and the Wright Memorial. The Wright bike shop is in downtown Dayton. https://www.nps.gov/daav/index.htm

Check out the Riverscape in downtown.
RiverScape MetroPark | Five Rivers MetroParks

Check the Carillon Park just south of Dayton. https://www.daytonhistory.org/visit/...storical-park/

Cincinnati is just an hour south with the Ohio river. If you like art deco check out the Cincinnati Union Terminal and post office next door
Union Terminal | Cincinnati Museum Center

Tom n' Dale
2015 REV RB
Orlando
Tom-n-Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-n-Dale View Post
Mc Mahan's Mobile Home Park  
Directions
Mobile Home Park
Address: 3324 Valley St, Dayton, OH 45424
Phone (937) 233-3750

This is 15 minutes from Wright Patterson AFB and Museum. It cost $100 for a week full hookups. We stay there every time we go to Dayton.

This is a mobile home park with RV spots.

It is also close to Huffman Dam and the Wright Memorial. The Wright bike shop is in downtown Dayton. https://www.nps.gov/daav/index.htm

Check out the Riverscape in downtown.
RiverScape MetroPark | Five Rivers MetroParks

Check the Carillon Park just south of Dayton. https://www.daytonhistory.org/visit/...storical-park/

Cincinnati is just an hour south with the Ohio river. If you like art deco check out the Cincinnati Union Terminal and post office next door
Union Terminal | Cincinnati Museum Center

Tom n' Dale
2015 REV RB
Orlando
Carillon park is nice.

The brewery next door is horrible. All sour beer. I've never sent back beer before I went there. It was awful. I LOVE all kinds of beer. But this was the worst god awful swill I've ever tried to choke down.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:19 PM   #20
OYO

We did our "shake down" trip at Cesar Creek last March. It was neat. There was only one other site occupied that we could see and I think there are well over 100 sites. It was difficult to find someone to take our camping fees. But there was no water or sewer, only electric. Nice hiking. And if you are into fossils be sure to check out the emergency spillway just east of the dam. One of the greatest fossil sites in this part of the country. You don't have to search for them, they are under your feet.

We live about 3 miles from WPAFB in Beavercreek. Lots of restaurants I675 exit 17 (south) very close to the museum. Or i675 exit 10 (Indian ripple/Dorothy west) lots of restaurants at second traffic light (turn left).

Exit 10 is kinda neat. It is an outdoor mall (The Greene) sort of thing where you can park and choose from many food/drink establishments. We live within walking distance.

Have fun, the museum is cool. I intend to get over there this winter, it has been a few years.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, ohio