Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #1

Smile Do you want to go to Alaska in late May, 2018?

We have a group of 22 rigs, all but one Forest River, going to Alaska as a group in May. We will cross into Canada at Shelby, Mt. on the 12th of May and spend the next eight weeks touring northern Alberta, the Yukon with five weeks spent in Alaska. Because of the size of the group we are getting discounts at campgrounds and sightseeing attractions. The tour package covers 67 nights of camping. There are ten Group Activities such as train trips, dredge and mine visits including gold panning. There are also several optional activities such as kayaking trips, off shore fishing trips and Artic Circle tours. We do o to Dawson City, Yukon from Alaska before turning south towards Whitehorse and the lower half of the Alcan on the way back. We have everything that you will find in commercial tours, using the same campgrounds and doing the same things for roughly half of the cost. We are set up on a none profit basis. Everyone pays the base fees and all participate in the work and any money that is left at the end is distributed back to the group. All camping and activity reservations are made by the group except those at Banff and Jasper Parks in Canada. Each rig must make its own reservations there.

We have been talking about this Alaska tour for more than two years here on the forum. We were full with 24 rigs paid and ready to go. Unfortunately, two of our member rigs have recently had to withdraw due to health issues. Those two slots are available. The monies paid by the original members has been refunded and we may go with our current 22 rigs, but we have slots for two rigs. If you would be interested in a really great Alaska tour with mostly forum members at a much lower cost than any of the commercial tours please send an email to pmsto@peoplepc.com We will provide you with all of the details concerning the trip including copies of our monthly newsletters over the past year. If you are thinking about Alaska, you don't want to miss the opportunity.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #2

Post Update

Hi all,

18 Jan., 18 We have had one couple/rig ask for detailed information. After three days reviewing the itinerary, costs and overall plans they have decided to join the caravan. They are now members of our Facebook, our AT18 email distribution list and our Group Me cell phone application family and are getting to know the other members. We have one slot left.

We can't take more than 24 rigs as one of the RV parks in Alaska has only 24 full hookup sites and we have booked all of them for two days.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
Insert witty title here

I used to live in Anchorage and I can tell you that snow and extreme cold in May are a high probability. I will haul my camper up there someday but I will wait until late July / early August.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

I wish you the best on your travels. I did the trip in 2016 and was on the road a total of 87 days out of southern Arizona.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #5

We made the trip in 2014 and it was about the same 87 days from Texas. We are traveling slowing and seeing a lot of the Yukon on the way up. We leave Shelby, Mt on May 13th spending time in Calgary, Banff, Jasper and Dawson Creek. We don't start up the Alcan until the 27th of May. We have numerous fisher people on board so we are spending extra fishing/sight seeing days on the Alcan as well as four days in Whitehorse with the required day trip down to Skagway and back. We don't reach Alaska until well into June.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
Still a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I used to live in Anchorage and I can tell you that snow and extreme cold in May are a high probability. I will haul my camper up there someday but I will wait until late July / early August.
My apologies. I certainly don't wan't to hijack the thread. But I must respectfully disagree with this statement about the weather, at least for Anchorage. I was born and raised in Anchorage, and I've lived up here most of my life. 39 of 42 years. Maybe you're saying you lived here about before then though, in which I could be mistaken...

In Anchorage, a May snow may be a probability, but not a high one. And if it does snow in May, there's a very low probability that it would even be measurable. But it could happen...

As far as extreme cold, I guess that would be relative, but it would be rare to get below 30 degrees, if even into freezing temps (that's not extreme to us up here). Again, it could happen. I'm not saying it never has happened... but I don't remember it happening.

So I did look up some statistics. The average low for May in Anchorage is 39 F. Record low is 1 F on 04 May 1955. Average snow for May is .1 inches.

Hope you guys come up and enjoy my home state. It may be a little cold in May. But nothing that can't be tolerated. I'm sure I'll even see you guys around...
Old 01-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #7

We went to Alaska last year, we crossed the border May 18 and we saw no snow going up. All the campgrounds were open. We had a great time. If things work out for us we plan on going back this year only cross the border on 1 May. On the way back we saw snow at Haines Junction overnight.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #8

Could you send me pricing and info?
Kirby_mcadams@yahoo.com
Thanks
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan SS View Post
<SNIP>

Hope you guys come up and enjoy my home state. It may be a little cold in May. But nothing that can't be tolerated. I'm sure I'll even see you guys around...
Hi Bob Williams here - the Caravan Co-Lead.

We will be there! We are staying at the Golden Nugget RV Park 19-23 June - maybe you could drop by one evening and say HI!

Also, any recommendations from a Anchorage native are greatly appreciated!

We will be there for the last day of the Slam'n Salmon fish derby so I hope to be able to catch some action the afternoon/evening of the 19th!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
Still a NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Hi Bob Williams here - the Caravan Co-Lead.

We will be there! We are staying at the Golden Nugget RV Park 19-23 June - maybe you could drop by one evening and say HI!

Also, any recommendations from a Anchorage native are greatly appreciated!

We will be there for the last day of the Slam'n Salmon fish derby so I hope to be able to catch some action the afternoon/evening of the 19th!
Hello Bob!

I work 2 weeks on/off, and as of right now, I'm scheduled to go off shift on the 19th, so I just might catch you. However... I MAY swap schedules before then, in which case I'll be going to work that day. We'll see how the schedule shakes out.

As far as recommendations...
1) You guys will be directly across the street from a Costco and an O'Reilly's Auto Parts. So if anyone will need to stock up groceries or vehicle supplies, you'll be in good shape. Wal-Mart and Fred Meyer's (or Kroger for some) are about 2 miles down the road. There's also a couple of diners (one of which is Denny's) within walking distance if you want to change it up from camp food.

2) Downtown, where the Salmon Derby will be, is about a 10 minute drive from the Nugget. You'll probably need to use a TOAD, or if some of the caravan are using tow vehicles, use those. We also have UBER and Lyft up here. Their rates are a little cheaper than the cabs, but not by much. But if you're going to be fishing, I'd consider your own vehicle, because...

3) The most effective way to fish Ship Creek, besides a boat, is to get in the water, using waders. But Ship Creek has VERY muddy banks. It's pretty much a clay, and it gets EVERYWHERE. Hauling muddy gear back to the Nugget might best be done in one of your vehicles. FYI...

4) Downtown... Lots of great locally owned and operated restaurants downtown. Paris Cafe has great steaks, Glacier Brewhouse has great dishes (try the Jambalaya Fettuccine) as well as lots of their own beers. Orso is like a finer version of the Brewhouse. There's also 49th State Brewery. Great food there as well. There's a few spots inside the Captain Cook Hotel. Also Simon and Seafort's has amazing views of the inlet. A window seat here in the evening can be breathtaking. Personally, it's my favorite downtown place to eat, with Brewhouse being a close second. There are a few other places to eat that are all good, all can be found within a 5 block area on 4th and 5th avenues. There's even a Hard Rock Cafe. Also downtown, there's a museum, gift shops, art galleries, 5th Avenue Mall, Town Square Park, a lot to see, just like most any other downtown. But keep in mind that Downtown Anchorage is a tourist trap. Things will be priced as such. If you want a cheap way to treat yourself and your belly... Have a reindeer sausage dog from one of the sidewalk stands. Adding a coke and a bag of chips should set you back right at about $8, if I remember right. They'll grill the dog while you wait, so it'll be hot. That's high quality eatin'.

5) Take a walk on the bike trails that go around Westchester, and see some of those breathtaking views of the inlet, or hike around Campbell Airstrip Road, if you prefer more of a stroll through the forest.

6) Lots of people find it hard to sleep in the Midnight Sun, and your group will be right in the thick of it. There will always be daylight while you're in Anchorage. Sure it will get a little darker in the evenings, but it will by no means be dark out. Especially if we are lucky enough to have some clear, blue bird days. It may be a good idea to bring sleeping masks, if you have members of the caravan that are sensitive to light while sleeping.

I think I covered a lot here. Plenty to keep you occupied for your 5 days. Please hit me up if you got any questions. Here or PM.

Guy
Old 02-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan SS View Post
Hello Bob!

SNIP

I think I covered a lot here. Plenty to keep you occupied for your 5 days. Please hit me up if you got any questions. Here or PM.

Guy
Thanks Guy I really appreciate your advice!! - I Will pass this all on to the caravan - really appreciate your detailed information & Hope to see you when we are in Anchorage!

Drop me a line off list! (Bob@williamsnet.org)

Cheers

Bob

Bob
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #12
Still a NOOB

Getting close! Bet you guys are excited!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #13

Most are in route to the assembly point in Shelby, MT. We cross into Canada next week with 20 rigs.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSPete20 View Post
Most are in route to the assembly point in Shelby, MT. We cross into Canada next week with 20 rigs.
Safe travels and keep us all posted
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:15 AM   #15

Don’t forget to post some pictures of your journey
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:20 AM   #16
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Don’t forget to post some pictures of your journey
X 2 Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:50 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Thanks Guy I really appreciate your advice!! - I Will pass this all on to the caravan - really appreciate your detailed information & Hope to see you when we are in Anchorage!

Drop me a line off list! (Bob@williamsnet.org)

Cheers

Bob

Bob
Have fun Bob Bob! Have you set a site for the daily pictures and sites? I would like to follow along.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #18

As Ward Bond would say "Wagons Hooooooo" Happy and safe travels folks. Did the trip in 2016, Going north thru AB I went up on Hwy 22. Real pretty drive.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #19

Sounds like an amazing adventure. Can't wait to see the pics and read the posts about this trip.
Safe travels and enjoy.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #20

Wow, this trip should be on everyone's bucket list, spring and fall are the best times to travel.
I don't know what your schedule is like but if you can find the time, a day trip (without the rv's) from Fort St. John through the Peace River Valley down to Hudson's Hope is amazing.

I have 2 tips for your travels:
Take your time on some of the highways up north, they can be very rough in some places. Nobody will flip you off when you go slow with the 4 way flashers on.
Buy a mosquito fogger when in Alberta (not in BC), at a farm supply store either a CO OP hardware store or Peavey Mart, you can thank me later .
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote